Personal Best Log

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

robt-aus

Re: Personal Best Log

Post by robt-aus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:51 pm

maybe that's why so many people don't clean up - they're not able to survive the effort.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm

robt-aus wrote:maybe that's why so many people don't clean up - they're not able to survive the effort.
I just thought it interesting. No one else, except presumably the guy who left it there, ever moves the 145# dumbbells. I found it very hard to move with 2 hands, and Matt does one handed rear delt rows with them. He'll probably do a Turkish get-up with it soon.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm

or possibly a hardcore case of lifter's remorse. "I can lift that!.... crash... no I can't...."

and the cleaners. don't forget the cleaners, who probably just lift them up to sweep beneath them.

ephs

Post by ephs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 am

stuward wrote:I lifted a 145# dumbbell back onto a rack once since some unthoughtful person left it on the floor. I had to use 2 hands and it nearly killed me.
so it's a new PR for two-handed DB deadlift and farmer's walk to the rack? :grin:
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

strathmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by strathmeyer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 pm

robt-aus wrote:maybe that's why so many people don't clean up - they're not able to survive the effort.
I just want to put a sign up in our University gym that says 'If you're man enough to lift this weight, you're man enough to put it back on the rack" which I hope would do better than "please clean up after yourselves."

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 pm

At my gym the sign says that your mom doesn't work here. But I don't think she could move that stuff.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm

I always put my dumbbells back, although sometimes I'm lazy and roll them back to the rack before lifting them in.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Matt Z wrote:I always put my dumbbells back, although sometimes I'm lazy and roll them back to the rack before lifting them in.
the 145lbs soccerball has to be good for the legs.

barsonme
n00b
n00b

Post by barsonme » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
barsonme wrote:Just finished testing 1RMs over the lat few days.

Squat: 250 lbs
DL: 275 lbs
BB: 215 lbs

Ain't much for ~155 lbs but I'm getting there. Also first post, hi guys!
Welcome!

"BB"? Did you mean "BP"?
Barbell Bench... although I should probably call it Bench Press, huh? :P

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 am

KenDowns wrote:At my gym the sign says that your mom doesn't work here. But I don't think she could move that stuff.
My mom couldda. I'll bet my mom is stronger than your mom. Was. She's not around for a face-off, so don't suggest it.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 am

barsonme wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
barsonme wrote:Just finished testing 1RMs over the lat few days.

Squat: 250 lbs
DL: 275 lbs
BB: 215 lbs

Ain't much for ~155 lbs but I'm getting there. Also first post, hi guys!
Welcome!

"BB"? Did you mean "BP"?
Barbell Bench... although I should probably call it Bench Press, huh? :P
Just curious.

By the way. You said "Ain't much for ~155 lbs..." Actually, that's pretty good for 155. Your squat and bench are bigger than mine, and I'm a lot bigger than you. My DL has always been ahead of my squat, for whatever reason.

You don't ever need to apologize for your numbers around here. This is the one forum on the internet where there is very little bro talk. People here admire effort and improvement. You'll see little bragging, but also very little apology. The guys who are the strongest will be the first to congratulate you on a new PR, no matter how big or small it is.

You can take pride in your accomplishment, whatever point you are at on your training journey.

Again, welcome, and please join in the fun here.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

barsonme
n00b
n00b

Post by barsonme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 am

Jungledoc wrote:Just curious.

By the way. You said "Ain't much for ~155 lbs..." Actually, that's pretty good for 155. Your squat and bench are bigger than mine, and I'm a lot bigger than you. My DL has always been ahead of my squat, for whatever reason.

You don't ever need to apologize for your numbers around here. This is the one forum on the internet where there is very little bro talk. People here admire effort and improvement. You'll see little bragging, but also very little apology. The guys who are the strongest will be the first to congratulate you on a new PR, no matter how big or small it is.

You can take pride in your accomplishment, whatever point you are at on your training journey.

Again, welcome, and please join in the fun here.
Thanks! I've loved the other parts of ExRx and I was lurking the forums during my Anatomy & Physiology class so I decided to make an account to join in on the fun!

I'm really glad this forum avoids a lot of the "bro" talk. It's fun for a while until someone with 300 lbs on you joins the conversation!

Oh, and as a side note, the other day I was fooling around with one of the PTs at my gym and managed to hit a 300 lbs sumo DL. My DL has always been ahead of my squat, but probably because I love DLs more than any other exercise. :)

Khronos8

Post by Khronos8 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:21 am

OH squat 205lbs x 2

Reading about others trying OH squats here got me started on it.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am

I'm impressed

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Khronos8 wrote:OH squat 205lbs x 2

Reading about others trying OH squats here got me started on it.
That's incredible. I'm up to a bone-crushing 60 lbs for ten reps. But I'm in it for the flexibility, at 65# I can't get ATG so I don't do it (not yet).

Well done!