Dumbbell Pullover?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

flair
n00b
n00b

Dumbbell Pullover?

Post by flair » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:31 am

Is there any particular reason why this website does not explain directions on how to do pullovers with dumbbells? There is a page for barbell pullover (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Latissi ... lover.html). Perhaps there is a risk of injury that I am not aware of?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:41 pm

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pec ... lover.html

Dumbbell Pullovers are listed as a chest exercise, while Barbell Pullovers are listed as a lat exercise. I don't know why.

flair
n00b
n00b

Post by flair » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Strange but it is nice to know it is on the exercise list and there is a good example on how to perform this routine. Thanks for the info!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Matt Z wrote:Dumbbell Pullovers are listed as a chest exercise, while Barbell Pullovers are listed as a lat exercise. I don't know why.
Traditionally, Dumbbell Pullovers followed Squats in 20-Rep Squat routines, with the emphasis on deep breathing to expand the rib cage. That might be the reason, although there's no reason why the pullovers couldn't be done with a barbell.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Stephen, your exactly right, and they influence the whole upper body. You're old enough to remember Arthur Jones and Nautilus. He developed a machine to imitate the pullover action and dubbed it "the upper body squat". I don't think I'd classify it as that, but he was a pretty eccntric guy anyway. His son Gary engineered the "Hammer Strength" line, while he went on to Med-X, or something similar specializing in machines for rehab purposes.
Tim