Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

throwing a football = sore rear deltoid

Post by VoK » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:09 pm

Just a random question for today.

I've been throwing a football for a good part of my life. My arm strength is decent, but nothing spectacular. No 50 year bombs from me.

However, after a long throwing session, I usually have a sore rear deltoid the next day. My throwing motion is pretty decent. Quick overhead release and I follow through on most throws. My elbow used to get sore from throwing often, but I fixed that.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:17 pm

You are getting old ;)

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 am

Your rear deltoid could be weak (relatively speaking) and therefore having a hard time decellerating your arm when you throw. Or the muscle might just be a little tight (in which case stretching should help).

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: throwing a football = sore rear deltoid

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:44 pm

VoK wrote:However, after a long throwing session, I usually have a sore rear deltoid the next day.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal?
Muscle soreness after vigorous and/or unaccustomed activity is the norm, not the exception. Some of the posters on this board think that their workouts were a bust if they aren't sore the next day. If the pain doesn't seem to be coming from within the shoulder joint, rather than a muscle, I wouldn't sweat it.

It does suggest that your rear delts might be a weak link in your throwing musculature, like Matt said. If you're into throwing, you might find this link useful.

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 pm

I agree with SJ here. Throwing is a ballistic move and basically jars the joints and stresses the muscles from something they are not use to. You get the same thing from throwing punches. Repetitive throwing is usually the only way to get used to it.....warming up doing throwing motions before you actually throw, then stretch and or ice the shoulder later on to reduce the symptoms.

Your getting old though, I have to agree...LMAO.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:55 pm

Hey, Scott, I resemble that remark. Seriously, though, he is correct The older you get, the more repititon you need, especially when warming up. I can still through close to a strike from mid centerfield to home at age 57, but ONLY after about a half hour of very loose and gadually stronger throws.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am

I had to hang up my glove two years ago because of my shoulder and elbow. I have about 25 thows with a football in me and then I am done. The joints just don't work as well as they used to. See, I told you Tim, most of us just hope we can do what you do at 57. I'm 35 and I had to hang up my glove. I gave up football a long time ago.

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:29 pm

35? whippersnapper

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:41 pm

It aint the years, it's the miles. This chassis has a lot of miles on it :)