Weight Lifting after Coronary Stent Implantation

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Weight Lifting after Coronary Stent Implantation

Post by quadfrog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Anyone here ever have a coronary artery stent implant? I had an 80% blockage in my left coronary artery last Wednesday, resulting in a myocardial infarction (heart attack). The coronary angiogaphy and MRI revealed that there was no damage my heart muscle. My carioligist credited my years of weight training for saving my life. I am now anxious to communicate with others who have had coronary artery stent implants and if there are any special issues they have had with diet, training, medications, etc. Thanks! Keith

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:28 am

How did he relate your lifting to saving your life, if you don't mind sharing?

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:21 am

Hoosegow: It was the total lifestyle: nutrition, strength training combined with cardio, not being overweight, lots of protein in the form of lean meats, not smoking, etc.. Also, my cholestrol and boold pressure have always been normal. I am 57, and cardiac events similar to mine take out countless 40-year-olds every day. I'm back in the gym, preparing for the next battle. I will ask God for my marching orders every day. Keith
Last edited by quadfrog on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:24 am

Hoosegow and Others: I put a full explanation of how my heart attack occured on Dave Draper's IOL. The title of the thread is God, the Doctor, and the Dragon Slayer. Keith

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:25 pm

quadfrog wrote:Hoosegow and Others: I put a full explanation of how my heart attack occured on Dave Draper's IOL. The title of the thread is God, the Doctor, and the Dragon Slayer. Keith
I assume that your handle there is PumpDaddy (good handle, BTW ;-) )

Best of luck to you

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Steve: Pumpdaddy on IOL is correct. I go between three boards most of the time: ExRx, IOL, and Ironage. These fill most of my needs these days. I start cardiac rehab tomorrow. I will no doubt have to learn alot of stuff I didn't much care about until now, like cardio. Last night at the gym: barbell curls and lat pull-downs at the usual weight, 12-10-8-8, as well as alternate DB curls, wrist curls, and stiff-legged deads. Felt better than I did before my attack and stent placement. My cardiologist would not disprove of my tennacity, although it scares wife. Displaying the stainless vial that is permanently placed on my neck chain, I tell her, "isn't that what these nitro pills are for?" I'll keep posting here, as kind of a log, to let you know how I'm doing. It is my nature to play with fire, as most dragon slayers must know. Keith

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Love your analogy and attitude bro.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Quad. Most people that get what you get would still be in the hospital, not working out. Says a lot about your prior conditioning, and your attitude. I'm your age, and the cardiac thing is always a concern (luckily I haven't had to deal with it personally). My father, though, has had a murmur since childhood, and has had to see a cardiologist regularly, so when he was out here living with me, I used to go with him (he has bad short term memory at 85). I have talked to several, and they all recommended regular exercise, they just warned against overdoing it. As a matter of fact, that's how I stumbled on crossfit about 4 years ago. Crossfit.com, was in their opinion, a good way to combine different aspects of training , (way scaled down from what they post daily though), and actually recommended it especially for older people to regain mobility, stamina, and as rehab for heart conditions. I'd be very interested in what your cardiologist recommends for you.
Good training Quad
Tim

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14 pm

Crossfit.com = neat stuff, Tim. Plan to visit there often and take some of those moves to the gym (at a less intense level, of course). Thanks!