Shoulder impingement?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Shoulder impingement?

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:09 pm

I get this pain in my upper arm and shoulder. It is happening when I press, bench, or shoulder. It is a little weird so bear with me. When I bench, I warm up with 135 X 10 reps then immediately go to 225 for 5 reps. At 135 and again, but not so bad, at 225 I get a pain that seems to originate on the top of the rotator cup. If you follow my (I have narrow shoulders) collarbone up to the shoulder, it starts close to where it connects. The pain actually radiates down to about 1/2 way of my upper arm. There is pain between the bicep and tricep. I get into my working reps 295 X 7 for example and I have no pain.

Shoulder presses are the same way, but I get a little more pain. Any ideas?

Eric
Novice
Novice

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:04 am

http://www.orthoassociates.com/shoulder ... uff_injury

check that out and you could narrow it down a bit but best to go to physiotherapist to get it checked.

try doing rotator cuff exercises such as the examples from the site to strengthen the whole shoulder girdle.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_repo ... y=shoulder
here is some info on impingement.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:10 am

Odd that the ligher weights cause the problem - usually, if there is an issue, exercising with heavier wieghts cause more of the problem, not less.

Do you have shoulder pain at any time outside of the gym? Particularly upon rising in the morning?

How is your range of motion in the shoulder?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:53 pm

No pain any other time. My range of motion is no different than my other shoulder.

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Maybe by the time he gets to his heavier sets, his shoulder is warmed up? I know my shoulders complain like that before Im properly warmed up.

I adjust my grip in or out to work around that particular problem and that takes care of the issue.

Rotate the position of the bench press in yoru workout like after the dumbbells or switch to an incline press for a while and flat bench with dbs.

by all means work the rotators

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu May 03, 2007 7:59 am

in my experience - which is just one person obviously - it's not the weight that does it, it's the reps. For example, my push pull strength was always quite similar as I thought that was all that mattered. But I still performed 25-30 sets on my chest day but done 9-12 sets on a back day... Not that that explains the pain thing but just thought I would add.

I'm no expert, just someone with an impingement myself. But from what I have gathered, the RC only pitches in to stabilise the muscles, when you pile on the weight, the other muscles kick in like pecs / delts etc

Does your shoulder click ? Its also my understanding that an impingement is when the upper arm pings on tendons in a certain range of motion. This happens to me. General random clicking doesn't really mean anything but a constant click in a certain range i.e. a front raise is a tell tale sign.

Eric
Novice
Novice

Post by Eric » Thu May 03, 2007 9:39 am

since we are on the topic of shoulder injuries, i just suffered a grade 1 ac joint separation from a fall in jiu jitsu. grade 1 is not serious, just to rest and immobilize the shoulder for a about 10-14 days and then ease back into things.

hoosegow have you see a PT yet?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu May 03, 2007 1:55 pm

No. I am just taking this week off. I'll hit it hard next week.