First Day of Cardiac Rehab

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

First Day of Cardiac Rehab

Post by quadfrog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Went to the cardiac rehab center today. My insurance is paying for it, and I thought I could learn some neat stuff. They have remote transmitters that you wear, so they can read your EKG while you work out. I was put on a treadmill for 10 minutes; then a Schiwn fan bike with upper body handles for 15; then a wall mounted pully system with stack weights like they used 50 years ago. They must have been disappointed, so they put my back on the treadmill again to get my heart pumping harder. They told me that I could continue training with free weights at the gym and at home - the news I've been waiting for. The only stipulation was that I stay away from maximum exertion until my rehab is complete. Later, I grabbed some 60 lb. dumbbells at home and warmed up with 12 reps.. Went through four more sets, ending with 75 lb. dumbbells for 8 smooth reps. I followed these with three sets of flys using 45 lb. dumbells and finished the workout with some EZ bar skull crushers. The only rest I took between sets was the time it took to add additional plates to my threaded dumbbell handles. I didn't get winded and felt really strong. Tomorrow, I will go to the gym with my wife and work shoulders along with some leg curls and extensions. I was warned not to squat or deadlift heavy for several months, although I will do stiff-leg deadlifts on back day. For those just tuning in, I had a heart attack on April 19th. I am 57, 6' tall, and weigh a fairly lean 195. I plan to do cardio at the rehab three days-a-week, where they can monitor my vitals. It's great peace of mind and "forces" me to exercise the heart. Keith

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue May 01, 2007 9:16 am

Like the doctor said, you should avoid maxing out on your lifts. But the old school notion of weight training being bad for your heart has been thoroughly debunked. By combining weight training and cardio under medical supervision, you'll be back to normal in no time.

Did they say anything about diet? That's usually what gets people into cardiac trouble.

Good luck, Keith

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Tue May 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:Did they say anything about diet? That's usually what gets people into cardiac trouble.
Throughout my life and at the time of my heart attack, my cholestrol, triglicerides, and blood pressure numbers have been ideal. No family CAD indicators, either. Nevertheless, I have always maintined a diet free from animal fats, fried food, and 'junk' calories. The recommendations of my dietician were pretty much the guidelines set by The American Heart Association for regular folks. She did emphasize the negative effects of red meat and eggs on one's cholestrol level. For protein, I've always relied upon chicken, fish, and protein shakes (low carb). Healthy 'N' Fit makes a very good protein powder called, 100% Whey Pro-Amino. one serving ( 2 Oz. scoop) delivers 45 grams of protein, 3 grams carbs, 3 grams sugar, and 1 gram of fat. The total calories per seving = 196. I will continue to use this to maintain lean muscle mass. For carbs, I rely on other things, like oatmeal. Keith