Training without equipment

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Training without equipment

Post by VoK » Tue May 01, 2007 12:34 am

I am headed to Europe this summer for an internship and backpacking for 2 months. However, I want to stay in shape and not lose a step in both upper and lower body speed and power.

Here's my lower body plan (which I think is solid)
Pistols (15 on each leg) immediately followed by explosive lunge jumps (20). 1 minute rest between sets, 3 sets.
personalized calf raise program (pyramid sets of one-legged calf raises)
HIIT twice or 3 times a week for at least 10 minutes.
Lots of walking/hiking on my backpacking trip

My upperbody plan is not as solid though. This is my myriad of possible exercises.
Pushups: fingertip pushups, two handed clap behind the back, 1 armed, eventually maybe 1 armed clap behind the back?
handstand pushups, static handstands without the wall
pullups on a door
static bridges (for flexibility)

What other exercises are there for me to do? My goals are to increase flexibility while maintaining strength, and to get a much better control of my body.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Training without equipment

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue May 01, 2007 9:28 am

VoK wrote:What other exercises are there for me to do? My goals are to increase flexibility while maintaining strength, and to get a much better control of my body.
Try Ashtanga Yoga.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue May 01, 2007 3:44 pm

You can do Bench Dips between 2 chairs and pushups with your feet in a chair. Also, supine rows if you can find something to hang from.

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Wed May 02, 2007 8:06 pm

Hindu squats and pushups

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 am

I get to travel lots with my job, most of the time this means staying in hotels in nice places, sometimes with Gyms.

I find that no matter how hard I try, I can never keep it up, for example I have just returned from 2ish weeks in the French Alps. In 11 days, I ran 5 times, hiked once and did circuit training (without weights and using a big rock to do squats/cleans etc). I took a 10 hour bus/train journey home, didn't eat a propper dinner and didn't get a full nights sleep. I went to the Gym and dropped the bar on an inclined chest press (80kg) and couldn't get it back up. Normally I can do 90-100ish for 5 reps, I was shocked at looking like such a twat and having to shout at someone accross the room to help me.

Still, we live and learn. If you are backpacking, my advice would be to enjoy backpacking and not to worry about anything else.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed May 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Vok-

You can mix up pushups quite a bit. Try moving from side to side instead of just jumping with claps in the same position. You can also change heights, and then jump form side side onto a box or something that you find that will act as a small box...assuming that it's somewhat stable. The box should be about 8-12 inches high. Work incline pushups for the upper chest as well. Feet on a chair, or walked up a wall...I didn't see pull-ups in there, find something to pull up from, even if it's not a bar, and go to town. Beware of the trim on doors though. Guys in prison work rows by laying on the floor under a desk and gripping the desk either underhand, or for wide-grips, to the side on either side of the desk, and pulling your face to the desk. Sometimes the angle will be awkward, but you can use a chair or even your backpack to raise your feet up and get the correct angle. Try doing some isometric exercises, stanking in a doorway or pulling on something immovable. It is shown to increase strength as well, but you will need to do it from a number of anlges to get the benefit at your full range of motion. There would be a ton more that I could give you if you would be with somebody, but I'm assuming you are probably traveling solo? Men get creative while lifting incarcerated.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed May 16, 2007 12:50 pm

I forgot to add that if you are already strong enough, you can actually do the rows with your feet off of the ground already. This is really difficult, but it will work.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu May 17, 2007 3:30 am

If it's not too much trouble to carry around with you, you could get JumpStretch bands. You can use them to make most exercises more difficult. You can get them here from the elitefts site.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... sp?cid=138

KP

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:52 am

I saw in this book towel pushups...it's where you put your hands ontop of towels and mimic the motion of a fly as you go down (move your hands out as you go down...then back in as you go up). Never had I tried it, but it seems like a good idea for people who can do like 50 pushups (like me). Get a bookbag that can carry some heavy stuff...throw gallons of water in it for things like pullups and pushups and dips. I think its easier to do bodyweight exercises for upper body...infact I practically have a day that's almost all bodyeight (though I do use a bookbag/dip belt for extra weight). Lower body is where the trouble is...I have heard things like single leg squats work, but the seem to aggravate my knees. Same thing is I use dumbells for lunges, so I clean a EZ Curl Barbell and use that. Don't forget HIIT sprints!