1st Squats Since Heart Attack

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

1st Squats Since Heart Attack

Post by quadfrog » Fri May 11, 2007 10:17 pm

The girls at cardiac rehab gave me the go-ahead for squats this morning!
Let me tell you, getting inside the power cage again and feeling that load come off the pins was like being born again! I did four sets of twelve, not too heavy---just 165, nice and deep with steady control to the top. I got to thinking about what my mechanic told me about my big old '79 450 SEL. It has a GM 454 with aluminum heads and was rated by Road and Track Magazine as the most powerful Benz of its day. Dick, my mechanic, said, "you can't ride an old war horse like a young one. Honor it with respect, and it will always bring you home." I think I've reached that stage in my weight training. I've leaned up a bit, slowed down, and I'm trying to feel the exercise. The extra reps have revealed some welcome vascularity and definition. I'm doing lots of exercises I've ignored before: wrist curls, calf raises, upright rows. As I watch the college kids spot each other at the bench, I smile and think to myself, "those were good times." Then, I pick up my dumbells, lean back into the old, cracked leather seat, shift into second, and rip out a set of incline presses. The ride is still good. Keith

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat May 12, 2007 9:01 am

Congrats for your recovery and resolve

Carry on, soldier