Apprentice

best cardio exercise?

Post by leif3141 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Overall...which would you say is best? I would say swimming personally

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 15, 2007 5:39 pm

The one you most like doing is what I'd go with, because that's the one you are most likely to stick with.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue May 15, 2007 9:26 pm

It depends on how you define best. A study that I read once said that cross country skiing was the calorie burning champ among cardio exercises. If I recall correctly, swimming didn't fare as well in the calorie burning department - the water bears much of your body weight, and the horizontal position makes it easier for the heart to pump blood throughout the body (although if you're rehabbing form a cardio disease, that's a good thing).

But, like TimD said, the best cardio exercise is the one that you want to do regularly. I like walking or cycling through a park.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 pm

TimD wrote:The one you most like doing is what I'd go with, because that's the one you are most likely to stick with.
Tim
Great answer!

Kenny

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 am

Well calorie burning is obviously important...and so is something you'll enjoy. However, the reason why I would choose swimming is because this is also a little bit of resistance mixed in with the water (I guess the same would hold true for rowing as well). With running,,,unless you're doing some hilly runs, it is almost non-existent. And with biking as well.

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 16, 2007 9:27 am

See Stephen's post above as to resistance and swimming. Personally, I like the idea of resistance mixed in, and due to osteoarthritus, any impact is not an option for me, so I do it with DB's, in higher repition intervals. As an example, todays morning workout ws a complex of 10 db upright rows+ 6 clean and Press (1 clean 1 press is one rep)+6 pushpres+10 DB hi pull up from floor+ 10 squat pushpress+10 pb dips +10 hammer grip chins, done nonstop, same weight, catch my breath, repeat. 3 rounds Finished with 3X10 2 db swings. Thats how I define cardio with resistance mixed in, plus, I enjoy it.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 am

All can be strenuous but the real advantage for recommending swimming is less strain on the joints, especially for older people. It works your upper body more than most cardio exercises. You should do more leg work if you are able.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Best-Cardio-E ... s&id=90395

Swimming and Cycling don't stress the joints enough to prevent calcium loss. High volumes of swimming or cycling without weight training or running will lead to severe bone loss.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library ... 092099.htm

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 am

Ok, in terms of pure calories, here are the numbers from a textbook from one of my classes:

Running at a 7 minute mile will burn .111 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Bycicling at 15mph will burn .097 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Swimming at a moderately fast speed such as a 5:30 250 yd will burn .073 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Rollerblading at 13 mph will burn .095 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

The ratio of calories burned per minute to pound of body weight doesn't remain constant, however. At certain points the ratio increases by more than at others, but pretty much the faster you go the more calories you will burn per pound.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 16, 2007 10:27 am

stuward wrote:Swimming and Cycling don't stress the joints enough to prevent calcium loss. High volumes of swimming or cycling without weight training or running will lead to severe bone loss.
Thanks for the link. What I really found interesting is that walking also doesn't prevent calcium loss, according to the article. I'll have to show this to a lady friend who insists that walking is the only exercise that she needs.
Halfbreed wrote:Ok, in terms of pure calories, here are the numbers from a textbook from one of my classes:

Running at a 7 minute mile will burn .111 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Bycicling at 15mph will burn .097 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Swimming at a moderately fast speed such as a 5:30 250 yd will burn .073 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.

Rollerblading at 13 mph will burn .095 calories per minute per pound of bodyweight.
I didn't know that cycling did such a good job of burning calories. In my gym, the exercise cycles always have the lowest calories burned counts of any of the machines (although the cycles don't ask the exerciser for his/her weight, and the other types of exercise machines do). Cycling at high resistance is one of the tougher cardio workouts, for me anyway - sitting in the "hot seat" for any length of time makes me numb south of the border.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Wed May 16, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 am

That surprised me as well. As I understand it, it's the pounding from running and the extra weight in weightlifting that provide the benifit. The negative impact comes from the long duration (over 1 hour) which eats the calcium. I would think that short duration ( under 1 hour) shouldn't have the negative aspect and a walker should be on par with a sedentary person. The ones at serious risk are the competitive distance atheletes.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 16, 2007 11:02 am

stuward wrote: I would think that short duration ( under 1 hour) shouldn't have the negative aspect and a walker should be on par with a sedentary person. The ones at serious risk are the competitive distance atheletes.
My friend is safe, then - she doesn't walk for hours at a time. Thanks for the clarification

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:46 am

Exercising is exercising. Regardless of your goals...even walking is good for you. I have heard that walking and cycling are particularly good for people with knee problems because it builds up some sort of thing (probably a tendon or ligament or something...its been awhile) and strengthens the knee. Cardio like running wears it down.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat May 26, 2007 6:59 pm

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:11 pm

I have heard that swimming stimulates appitete more than anything else. But if not going for weight loss, it is a great exercise. Maybe muscle builders should use it as their cardio when they are trying to build it: it isn't going to take away from the muscle building process, and it stimulates appitete. Think of that one for awhile!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 27, 2007 5:46 pm

I just do it strictly for fun myself.