Drastic improvement with time deadline

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 am

What I do to 'exchange' the medicine ball exercises is I bought a basketball for €5. Made a slit on the opposite side to the valve and filled the ball up with sand until it weighed about 7ish kg. I then used 'gaffa' tape or duck tape as I think it's called in the USA to repair the hole and pumped it back up. It's not perfect but it works.

yahu
n00b
n00b

Post by yahu » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:32 pm

daniel4738 wrote:What I do to 'exchange' the medicine ball exercises is I bought a basketball for €5. Made a slit on the opposite side to the valve and filled the ball up with sand until it weighed about 7ish kg. I then used 'gaffa' tape or duck tape as I think it's called in the USA to repair the hole and pumped it back up. It's not perfect but it works.
That's pretty neat idea, unfortunately I don't have a proper floor to slam the ball down.

About 'kippin' pull ups, are you saying you jump up to do one and come down and jump up again or jump up initially and stay on?

As far as calf raise is concerned, I only use my own body weight and it seems to alleviate pain somewhat. Don't know if I should continue.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

[edit]
I just saw the video. Isn't kipping pull-up considered cheating?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:53 pm

For the pullups, go to the crossfit main page, and from the left menu go to Exercises and Demos, then look up "kipping pullup concepts". It is a good video and shows what we are talking about.
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:40 pm

More generally, for pullups, if you can't do a pullup there are a lot of suggestions at http://www.simplefit.org/pullup.html

It sounds like you already can do pullups just fine but can't seem to up the numbers. So a couple of those suggestions might make good "partials" to stick at the end of your pullup set. Jump and hang at your sticking point, or do some body rows after you've hit your max pullups.

You can also do pullup shrugs - dead hang under the bar in your normal position, and "shrug" up. Your arms stay straight, and you try to get as far up as you can using your shoulders, back, chest, etc. Paul Kelso has a nice writeup of them in his Shrug Book. I found that helps me improve my chinup strength nicely. So does the static hang at my sticking point.

For squats, yeah, I can't squat heavy. I can crank out bodyweight squats until I get bored, but weighted back squats aren't very productive for me. I have a hard time keeping form, I have no spotters except a rather narrow power rack, and I can't squat nearly as much as I can deadlift. So whenever I try a workout that says "Squat X sets Y reps" I just deadlift instead. It's not quite the same but I figure in the long run I'm better off deadlifting heavy instead of squatting light.

Hope that helps.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:26 am

You could try doing weighted chins, even if you can only get a few reps. Then when you switch back to bodyweight chins, they'll seem light by comparison.

Also, heavy barbell rows will improve your overall back strength, which should benefit your chin. For these, I like to bend over roughly 45-degrees and row the bar to my belly with a shoulder-width grip. This variation seems to target the whole back (lats, midback, rhomboids, erectors, upper traps and rear delts). Even the glutes and hamstrings are targeted isometrically.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:58 pm

Matt Z wrote:You could try doing weighted chins, even if you can only get a few reps. Then when you switch back to bodyweight chins, they'll seem light by comparison.
To continue on this note...

Do crossfit type workouts like everyone said, BUT...

In the begnining of each workout add a little bit of max strength work. Something like 3 sets per movement in the 4-6 rep range with 3 minutes rest between sets.

I would work into your training week max strenghth work for the following movements: chin-up and military press on day 1, squat or deadlift on day 2, dip and barbell row on day 3.