Different stances in one workout?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Different stances in one workout?

Post by leif3141 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:15 pm

For my deadlift/leg day, which do you think would be better- work four sets of Deadlifts, 2 with a closer stance, and 2 with a wider stance, or just do 3-4 sets of the same stance? I would think switching up the stances would make sure to work every muscle group...but my only fear is then the muscle groups would not get worked enough.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Different stances will shift leverages, but frankly, unless you are into PL and need to practice with a certain stance/form that you will use in a meet, I don't think it really matters. Either do both in one session, or do one stance in one session and the other in another.
Tim

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Sun May 20, 2007 2:29 pm

I think it would be safer and more productive to work one stance on one day and then change stances the next day you do them.

If you are constantly changing stances in a given workout, then you can't reliably progress in poundages unless you always train a certain stance first and light but then, are you really getting those muscles stronger?

I mean say you pull 200 with one stance and now you change stances, what weight do you use? I think the way the body adapts/learns/creates motor patterns, you would be best off training one stance for 3-4 weeks and then changing. If you are really advanced, I could see changing every time you train the lift (ala the westside guys) but in order to get advanced I am sure they spent time just training the stance that let them lift the most weight most of the time, and then if they had a weak spot, they would train the other stance. A lot of great deadlifters train sumo even if they pull conventional in the comp. Smaller variations probably aren't as important but could give you some benefit.

TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Sounds valid Ryan, but I clean and snatch on the same day most of the time, and my stances are way different. For the snatch I use a heels together, knees pointing out "frog" stance, and I use a normal width stance for the clean, and when DLing I use semi sumo, and it doesn't seem to bother me at all.
Tim

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Sun May 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Fair enough...I'll do inbetween wide and normal and just do 3 sets of that

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Sun May 20, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, those are different exercises.

I guess my point is you are probably using the stance that is best for that exercise for you. And that is what I was trying to say.