Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat May 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Brook's website is http://brookskubik.com/

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat May 26, 2007 7:37 pm

I haven't been to that site in years, but I have noticed he no longer has the tapes avail, and has gone way more commercial than back in 2000.
Tim

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 am

daniel4738 wrote:Kenny, I do truly understand what you are trying to say, I own Bompa's Periodization book (A good friend of mine, we both worked weekends in the local gym was studying a sports science degree while I was doing my Physics degree). It's certainly a great book, but it was written 10 years ago, as was most of Bompa's scientific books.
Just because research is dated does not mean it wrong. Bompa's Periodization continues to be one of the foundations on which strength training is built.

Bompa's work has stood the test of time and is still being utilized as well as quoted.
A quick search on scholar.google.com will bring up a research paper on just about every subject with convincing research which contradict each other too.
Fine. I, as probably the rest of this board, would enjoy reviewing those research article.

I am sure one can always find something to support their belief. However, that does not mean it right.

The bottom line is "does it work."

In science things often work backwards. We find something that works and then work backwards trying to understand why it does work.
What was the exact 'article' you suggested, all I can see is about one seminar thing.
Bompa's statement was made at the National Strength and Conditioning Annual Conference. This group is composed of exercise scientist who focus on research in the field of strength training.

The NSCA is not "one seminar thing."

Bompa is not the only "expert" in the strength training field to question the effectiveness of devices such as the "swiss ball." Ian King and Charles Poliquin has done so as well.
I'm not disagreeing that sports specific movements, particularly with regards to resistance training are a very important part. But physical skill MUST be paired with technical skill.
I understand that.
I'm sure there are many people who cannot bench 100kg but can outpunch me, just because they have the skill to utilize their entire body and put it into the punch.
Yes, as Dr Tom McLaughlin noted, "Technique is everything." However, the key is to increase strength, power and speed in conjunction with technique.
A quick look on the exrx website illustrates what I am trying to point out I thinkhttp://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/FitnessComponents.html
I have a good understanding of this. I proved a simple analogy in one or my previous post on this, in regard to power.

Power is only one of the key physical components. Speed, Agility,

These are key components. However, the foundation of power, speed and ability are build on strength. Science shows that when you initially increase strength, then power and speed automatically increase.
Balance and motor skill are also key.
Most strength exercise incorporate balance. You need balance to squat or deadlift 500 lbs. You need balance to perform a shoulder press with 200 lbs. You need even more balnace to snatch 200 lbs.

These movement transfer more to sports and daily activities.

Motor skill is learned via the sports movement. The repetitive process of performing the skill over and over again, brain washes it into you heard and central nervous system.

It much like driving a car. After a while you do it without thinking about it.
I am also going to add motivation to that list too :) Of course, this is just the opinion I have.
Agreed. No matter how great the physical genetics of an individual are, if they are not motivated to train, they are not going too far.

My preference is the motivated individual. These individuals will find ways to excel beyond their capabilities. They inspire and energize those around them.

Research (Sceince of Sports Training: Psychological Training/p 174) that individuals who are most likely to succeed are those with a love for the game, not those driven by money or reward.

Passion is the key.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun May 27, 2007 8:53 am

quadfrog wrote:I need to add here, that the Swiss ball has served as a clever marketing tool for gyms, especially those where "personal trainers" need to attract new clients. Because they're a trendy fitness phenomena, many people expect thier gym or personal trainers to employ them. For me, it's pure entertainment, watching people fall off them when they do squats, dumbbell benches, or crunches. While they may have a place in rehabilitation of some sort, I think they are ill-suited for general exercise use.
Excellent point. Thw swiss ball/balance devices play a limited role in strength training.

I work in the speciality fitness market. A lot of items such as the balance devices are gearted toward making money, not helping individuals with a particular problem.

With that said, let me reinforce that fact that these balance devices are efffective in rehabilitation of injuries, via reprogramming the central nervous system.
I feel the same way about kettle bells, the newest fitness fashion craze. What the heck can you do with these expensive, awkward, devices that you couldn't achieve with a standard barbell/dumbbell set? Kettle bells, which did not originate in Russia, do make great boat anchors, door stops, and demolition tools, making them at least more versatile than the Swiss ball.
LOL...well, they are do make great door stops,etc.

However, I would never place the Kettle Bell in the same catagory as the swiss ball and other balance devices.

I have a lot of respect for the Kettle Bell. We sell it. I have played with them. I just can't get into them. My sentiments are those of Keith Hobman, an exercise scientist.

"I like the kettlebells. They are fun and different. But there is no inherent advantage in the kettlebell over a dumbbell or a swingbell that imparts skill or conditioning transfer."

Kenny Croxdale

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Sun May 27, 2007 10:18 pm

TimD wrote:One more thing about the KB/DB thing., Brooks Kubick (Dinosaur Training) had a newsletter circulating a few years back, I have a full collection (it wasn't expensive considering the volume-much barely pennies in proportion to anything you can get from Dragondoor) and in it he has a collection of old DB routines, all full body and all based on the old olympic moves and compound exercises.. I'll put them up if anyones interested.
Tim
Tim: I would be greatly appreciative if you put these on ExRx. I'm sure there are some moves I could incorporate into my routine. Anything "old school" appeals to me. I actually met Bob Hoffman at York, PA and watched him do some amazing lifts with dumbbells. In fact, I think I still have his old exercise charts somewhere.

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:24 am

Just thought I would share this exercise with you (much to Kenny's distress i think).

I was browsing the WoD on the crossfit website and for a previous day they had an exercise called 'Superman'. It consisted of holding onto rings in the push up position and then extending out into the superman position. Well, at my Gym we don't have rings, but we have Swiss balls and a ladder on the wall.

So I held onto one of the ruts of the ladder, put my feet on the Gymball, holding my body at a 90 degree angle, making a triangle with the floor. I then extended my feet backwards, keeping them on the ball until I was in the superman position, and then return.
OH MY GOD. I can easily do 300+situps without feeling 'the burn' which is I guess just a bi-product of doing lots of situps. But this, after 5 reps, I was lying on the floor like a little girl. After 4 sets of 5ish reps, I was finished. 2 days later and my stomach feels like it did when I had my appendix out.

:) I shall certainly be doing that one again