Are chest dips necessary?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

GleepGlop
n00b
n00b

Are chest dips necessary?

Post by GleepGlop » Mon May 21, 2007 5:29 pm

I was thinking I would get a couple of stacks of milk crates 4 or 5 crates high and buy some pushup bars and stick them on top and use that setup to do chest dips which according to exrx is for the pec minor which appears to be the only main way of working that muscle... But I have seen pec minor listed as a synergist in some other exercises like the chin up. Should I go through with this chest dip project or is there some other exercise I can do without needing a dedicated chest dip station that is only good for the one exercise?

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Mon May 21, 2007 5:53 pm

actually dips can be used for inner chest and triceps as well , depending on the width of the grips and the posistionof the elbows. so if your going to have a dip station, its good for more than one move. It adds variety to the workout.

GleepGlop
n00b
n00b

Post by GleepGlop » Mon May 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Well, I think I can answer this one for myself after giving it some more thought: after the bench press the chest dip is probably the next best exercise and all I have to do bench presses at home are dumbells and an exercise ball and I find it hard to load the weight on past a certain weight. Those are the only chest exercises that I like so I've got to get one of them going...

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Do your Dips first...then your presses. That way you can use less weight...making it easier to get into position.