Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

sfgirl65
n00b
n00b

Evaluate my my work-out please

Post by sfgirl65 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:18 am

Hi - I'm new here, but not new to working-out
I do a form of aerobic excercise (stairmaster, treadmill etc.) for 30 mins 4X a week.
I do a 2 day split upper body on Wed and Sat and Lower body on Mon and Fri. I train abs 3X a week. I generally do 3 sets of 12 reps. I tried the 1 set thing and it didn't work for me. I use enough weight so that the last few reps are tough. I have been in the gym several years so I am in maintenance mode.
Am I over training or under training any muscle? Thanks in advance.

Upper
Unassisted Chin-ups (6 reps - working towards 8 - these are really tough for us girls)
Push-ups (straight leg 24 reps - working to increase that slightly)
Bicep curls
Tricep extensions or pushdowns
Lateral Raises
Shoulder Press
Incline Bench Press
Seated Row

Lower
DB Squats
DB lunges
Standing Leg Extension
Seated Leg Curl
Abductor Machine
Adductor Machine
Hip Flexor
Calf Raises (on the sled)

Abs
Captains Chair
Crunches on ball
bicycles (elbow to knee - with other leg extended and off the mat)
side bends w/ weight

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 am

Wow...most men can't even do 6 chin-ups. Seeing as how I am not a girl...maybe I should not be giving advice. But I would do DB Bench presses instead of push-ups...and cut out some of the auxiliary exercises. Most people are going to try to tell you to cut the cardio...but I would say keep doing it. Of course it depends on your goals. If you are just trying to become lean...then maybe cut back a little bit and do more strength training. For me personally...I prefer the toned look of a girl that does a decent amount of weight and cardio training though!

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 24, 2007 9:18 am

I don't think 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week is overkill. However, you might want to cut out some of your isolation exercises. For example, for legs you can drop the leg extensions, the abduction machine, the adduction machine and the hip flexion. Instead try adding some form of deadlift (BB or DB, standard, SL or sumo). Combined with squats, lunges, leg curls and calf raises that should be plenty.

sfgirl65
n00b
n00b

Post by sfgirl65 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:49 am

leif3141 wrote:Wow...most men can't even do 6 chin-ups.
Thanks. Getting to 6 chin-ups has been really, really, really hard! I think the only reason I can do them is because I don't have any extra weight on me.

sfgirl65
n00b
n00b

Post by sfgirl65 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 am

Matt Z wrote: However, you might want to cut out some of your isolation exercises. For example, for legs you can drop the leg extensions, the abduction machine, the adduction machine and the hip flexion. Instead try adding some form of deadlift (BB or DB, standard, SL or sumo). Combined with squats, lunges, leg curls and calf raises that should be plenty.
Thanks. I have never tried deadlifts. But I think I will incorporate them and see how it goes.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 am

I agree with Matt on the legs. Spend more time on Squat and Deadlift variations and drop the machines.

Your program seems to hit all the high points but you want to make sure the intensity is the same throughout. Leif3141 mentioned pushups. They're good for a warmup but you do need some sort of flat bench. They will balance the seated rows. You might want to try bent rows for variety. Use the same weight you bench. Do your arms last after the bench and rows and give priority to the shoulder press over the raises.

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Also for stomach...try things like Leg Raises, hanging leg raises and barbell rollouts (similiar to the little ab thingy with wheels). My stomach has never been harder...and I am doing NO crunches!

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:30 am

Just out of interests, what are your goals?

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 25, 2007 4:14 am

incase your not aware of this site, I highly recommend this for more info, tips etc http://www.musclewithattitude.com/

I just discovered it recently, its the 'sister' site to T-Nation, so exclusively for female training. The original T-nation site isn't exclusively male training though, so www.t-nation.com is a very good resource as well.

I've started reading through a lot of the female stuff just out of interest, because if my g/f, sisters etc ever get the bug, i want to be able to offer some good advice...

Re your program - I would agree with one of the replies that said use more free wieghts and less machines. I would definitly consider taking out the adductor / abductor machines and do more single leg stuff (Reverse Lunges as well ?).

Doesn't look like you hit Hamstrings enough... Its just my personal opinion though that leg curls are useless but i will probably take some abuse for saying that. Target Hamstrings with stiff leg dead lifts, Glute Ham raises etc - I think you / anyone would benefit from dead lifts in general - or just hitting the posterior chain more..

As for the cardio, I agree with Matt saying it's over kill - just for an expirement, I think u should drop it completely from your routine, and see if your body fat changes over 4 - 6 weeks :-) assuming that you are doing it to keep body fat down anyway... Maybe replace it with some active recovery sessions if anything, but nothing 'stressful' so you can give your CNS a rest.

KP

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 25, 2007 4:35 am

There is no such thing as female training. I have the overwhelming urge to burn a bra right now! Down with Curves! What's good for the gander is good for the goose so to speak.

Train hard and heavy like a man and let your hormones do the rest. No matter how a woman trains, she can't turn into a man any more then she could turn into polka-dot umbrella. Low test and high estrogen = female shape. So if anything training like a man will make you an even more attractive woman. Well, as long as you train natural anyway.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 am

There is no such thing as female training. I have the overwhelming urge to burn a bra right now! Down with Curves! What's good for the gander is good for the goose so to speak.
I agree :-) I always thought it would different, as a lot of women do i.e. alot women I see and know who train are reluctant to go heavy because they think that they will wake up the next day look like Ronnie Coleman.

As for the women who do lift hard / heavy / high intensity - I think a lot men would benefit from training in a similar way. I've never seen a female go in and do a chest day - or exclusively train chest and bi's etc etc . But I see lots of women doing lots of lunges and variations - generally more lower body stuff, which loads of men (where i'm from anyway) lack - I know i did :-(

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Yea, you have a point there. I've seen lots of men neglect lower body. I've also added the standard deadlift to a woman's routine just because she wanted to concentrate on firming her butt.

A female friend told me men are very surprised when they see a woman lifting as much as them. It happens quite a bit on leg and calf press. I'm always impressed when I see a woman going heavy.