Which is better proportioned?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which is better proportioned?

Post by leif3141 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:32 am

If I have been lifting for awhile...and can do 215 on 8 reps of squats...or 155, 8 reps with each leg on lunges...is that a little unbalanced? A buddy thinks my squat weight should be alot more if I can do that much on lunges...

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 30, 2007 7:40 am

There might be some correlation between squats and split squats (lunges), but they are somewhat mechanically different. Just my opinion, but it sounds to me like you're trying to compare apples to orange.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 am

Matt, my numbers are similar to yours. I believe it's a function of a relatively weak back and strong legs. In my case I think my relatively long back puts me at a mechanical disadvantage for squats.

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:00 am

TimD wrote:There might be some correlation between squats and split squats (lunges), but they are somewhat mechanically different. Just my opinion, but it sounds to me like you're trying to compare apples to orange.
Tim
Hmm...so...do you think those numbers are somwhat normal then?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 30, 2007 9:36 am

I don't know about normal but I'm not concerned about it. Those little tanks that you see in the gym that have shoulders wider than their legs are long can hit the high squat numbers and I know I never will but I'm happy knowing I'm stronger now than when I was your age.

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 30, 2007 9:56 am

Normal? Normal for who? Depends quite a great deal on the individual, bone lengths, how deep your going, etc, etc. I do know this hough. Prior to the 1960's , the recommended style of cleaning and snatch was the split style (required a higher pull, but was much for forgiving in the receiving position), and those guys were cleaning around 400 lbs with a split squat (lunge) and to my best knowledge , a 600 lb squat was quite a feat back then, so no, I don't think your far off, but the point I'm making is that they are two different animals, why try to compare them?
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 30, 2007 3:15 pm

leif3141 wrote:If I have been lifting for awhile...and can do 215 on 8 reps of squats...or 155, 8 reps with each leg on lunges...is that a little unbalanced? A buddy thinks my squat weight should be alot more if I can do that much on lunges...
leif3141 wrote:Ok...I'll specify...I try to do deadlifts in a way that works mostly legs and butt the most...and obviously lower back does factor in. I use as much weight as I can, three sets, and 10 times each. Right now I am doing around 205-215 10 times twice a week. Some dude told me I would overtrain doing them twice a week with max weight on 10 reps.
Is this the same dude who's got your knickers in a knot over squats/lunges? If so, you might want to keep your distance from him - for your sanity's sake. ;-)