alternate way to perform an assited dip

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

gsteel
former lurker

alternate way to perform an assited dip

Post by gsteel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure a way to do some assited type of dip exercise with the hope of moving myself to a real dip in the future. I have a power rack with a low pull and pulldown. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

steel

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: alternate way to perform an assited dip

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:42 pm

gsteel wrote:Hi, I am trying to figure a way to do some assited type of dip exercise with the hope of moving myself to a real dip in the future. I have a power rack with a low pull and pulldown. Anyone have any ideas?l
1 - Buy a power cage dipping attachment

2 - Mount the dipping attachment. Have a training partner hold your shins/feet and assist you push up. If you don't have a training partner, put your feet on a sturdy chair or bench and use your legs to push.

This link shows an assisted pull up, but the idea is the same,

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 am

What about using some Bungee cord wrapped arounbd the bars and attached to your ankles, or around your armpits and somewhere above you?

PaulP
n00b
n00b

Post by PaulP » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:27 am

I agree, try the bungee. I went and got a 2, 5, and 10lb resitance cords, the ones with the handles on end. I use them all the time for pull-ups on my power rack. I just hook the handles to the bar catches on the power rack at the right height to get some help/assist and put the cords under my feet. Twist a few together if you need a little more help. I found it really helped me develop form and focus on my lats when doing pullup.

PP

gsteel
former lurker

Thanks

Post by gsteel » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi All, thanks for the advice, I will try them out and see what works best for me.

Steel

benjamteal
former lurker

Post by benjamteal » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:37 am

I would like to throw out one other suggestion...

Dips between two benches or chairs. Depending of the angle of you legs beneath you, you can either make the dips harder (legs all the way extended in front of you with your heels on the floor) or easier (bring you legs closer and use your legs to "assist" the dip movement).

Just a thought.