Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

Post by zachsikidhart » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:10 am

Hey thanks for the responses!
I have been doing this:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
since the start of june. I don't know how to do a clean so I'm doing bent over rows for now.

As for squats, I have been adding 5kg every time. I think im squatting as deep as when i don't use any weight at all, so i dont think that it's because of the weight. I feel my upper thighs press against my belly at my lowest point which seems to just hit parallel as far as i can tell. If i try to go lower, i think id fall on my butt, weight or no weight :)

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 am

zachsikidhart wrote:I have been doing this:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
Wow, that's impressive. Thanks for linking to that.

Actually, if you want to know how to do a clean, there is a video here:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/clean.wmv

and of the power clean:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj- ... -clean.wmv

and a good explanation here:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html

Hope that helps,

Peter

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

Post by zachsikidhart » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Saw that link somewhere around here too so I can't take credit for that.

The clean looks dangerous! I think I'll stick with the rows for now. The gym owner's wife benches more than I do so I'll build up my strength first before I try that.

Oh by the way, I'm having a bit of trouble with the whole "you should be able to deadlift more than you squat" thing... since the program has squats every training day and deadlifts every other, the natural weight progression would mean that the squat weight will overtake the deadlift.
Yeah I'm aware that im not squatting deep enough im not squatting deep enough im not squatting deep enough, but its not the weight. I can't squat deep even without weights. The only time I could squat deep was when i held a 10lb plate in front of me for balance. Any ideas how to improve that aspect?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:01 pm

The clean is simply the basic motion of brining a bar off the ground and up to your shoulders. Dangerous? OMG, how many times do you bring things into the house, put them on the floor, then have to bend down, and bring them up onto the counter? Same thing. In HS, I used to work my Uncles ranch, and we bailed and threw hay most of the day. Same thing. Bend over, grab the thing with a good DL positioning, DL it up to knees, then accelaerate it with the hip pop, and leg jump, dive down a bit into a postion from a full to a quarter squat, depending on momentum, and rack the thing on your shoulders.
It's the first basic weight training motion everyone should learn. It's full body, works eery uscle in your body, and is basic for getting weight to your shoulders for other movements.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:47 am

Tim is absolutely right about the clean. The problem most people have is starting too heavy. Start with an empty bar and add 5 lbs/workout. You'll be up to significant weight in no time.
Oh by the way, I'm having a bit of trouble with the whole "you should be able to deadlift more than you squat" thing... since the program has squats every training day and deadlifts every other, the natural weight progression would mean that the squat weight will overtake the deadlift.
The cleans will help the deadlifts and vice versa. They both set up and start the same way so there is a good deal of crossover. The deadlift will also progress further before you have to reset. Once you get to professional powerlifting levels, squats will pass deadlift again but for normal mortals, deadlifts will quickly pass your squat. The reason that you train deadlift less frequently is that it's relys more on your lower back which takes longer to recover.

Squating deeper will come with increased flexibility. It does improve over time if you work at it.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 am

Just a quick note on the "you should be able to DL more than you Squat" thing. It's going to vary from individual to individual for reasons of bone lengths, leerages, etc. I don't really like to generalize, but if I had to, I'd say in most cases the lighter, smaller lifters usually seem to DL more than they Squat, However, in the heavier wt classes, the opposite seems to be true.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:56 am

On the Strength Standards page of this site: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifti ... ndards.htm Deadlifts are consistantly higher than Squats for all levels and weight classes although the difference gets very small for elite level men at higher weights. It appears that progress gets harder in the deadlifts than squats at that level for large men.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:13 am

zachsikidhart wrote:The clean looks dangerous!
I think the danger is overstated, actually. As the other guys said, do it with an empty bar until you get it right. Take some video and post it places where you can get lots of advice about the form, and practice more. It's worth learning.
zachsikidhart wrote: Oh by the way, I'm having a bit of trouble with the whole "you should be able to deadlift more than you squat" thing... since the program has squats every training day and deadlifts every other, the natural weight progression would mean that the squat weight will overtake the deadlift.
It does, but I think the idea is that you are going to have to backoff and reset the squat a couple times, and eventually the speed of progress will drop - but the deadlift should keep on going, so in the long run it'll stay ahead. But everyone is different, so it may not work that way for you.