Hoosegow put it best.....
"Friends don't let friends air squat."
lol

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

When you put it like that

Post by Onlyethic » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Does a one-legged air squat pass muster?
(Damn...I need to find a gym I can afford.)

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Don't forget bodyweight one legged squats, or having someone sit on your shoulders when you squat. Both of those were staples and done dail when I was wrestling.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:00 am

My wife is building a rock border for our driveway. That means I get to move the big rocks. Trust me, you don't need a barbell to work your legs.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

ha

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 am

Funny, I was just watching some of the very good lectures from Crossfit.com. He (don't know his name) is talking about getting rid of pec stations (and much other equipment) in gyms and replacing them with squat racks and pullup bars.

It reminds me -- my biggest deficit right now: squats and power lifts.

I'm aching to start doing power lifting. Where I live right now, gyms uniformly require 12month commitment, at around $60/month, after a $50 sign up fee. (Whereas when I was living in CA, I could join UC San Diego's RIMAC for $30 mo., no commitment, no sign-up fee.)

Point being: in the meantime, any one have good recommendations to approximate heavy squats and power lifts?

TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 am

You could always use sand bags or barrels. Stuward made the comment earlier on moving rocks. Sand bags are easy-they don't have to be true sand bags. I have 3 dogs weighing from 77-95 lbs, so I keep the 55 lb bags of dog food around in the shed, and occasionally I get a wild hair up my rear end and duck tape two of them together, lay them on the floor, pick them upshoulder them and press them up. Squatting them after the presses is fine too. Plus because the stuff inside is loose, it makes it nic and awkward. You could fill a duffel bag up with something. Empty beer kegs you can get almost anywhere work nice too, just fill them up with water, you can clean, press and squat, and with the water shloshing around, nice and awkward.
Tim

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

kegs and sandbags

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Sand, we got. It's a good idea, and I like the awkwardness. I'll give it a try-- I live a few minutes from the beach where they have some junk lying around, including sandbags.

thanks for the tip.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:00 am

Hey, I love air squats. Doing 200 rep sets got me leg endurance and strength that really helped my MMA. The raw strength gains diminish after a certain point, but the endurance gains translated to everything I did with my legs. For raw strength, I can see why you'd skip them....but how doing air squats is just bad I don't understand. It's a tool for a different job than, say, low-rep back squats. You might not need them for what you're looking for but I wouldn't toss them out as unnecessary for anyone.

I'm still working on one-legged air squats, I'm hoping I can use them for even more gains...a bit of strength first, balance and flexibility...

For those powerlifts, you can also try getting things like cheap kerosene containers/plastic gas cans and filling them with water, sand, rocks, whatever. Thick handled ones evenly weighted can be used for "dumbbell" or "trap bar" style deadlifts - parallel grip deadlifts. You can also farmer's walk them. I do that every winter, but I use actual kerosene I'm walking home from the gas station to heat my apartment. On the upside, all of this is really cheap - the containers aren't expensive, the filler is cheap (maybe free). I get lots of "I could use that for lifting" ideas when I walk around home centers, you might do the same. The sandbag is a fantastic idea, I want to do that too.

An actual barbell set isn't that much, if you have room - and deadlifts don't take any extra equipment that a squat (racks) or bench press (bench) need. You just need weight....a cheap-o weight set doesn't come with much but you can buy a few more 45s and keep the gains rolling in. That might not fit your situation, though.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:42 am

Thanks for the response.

Well, the air squats always felt a bit...airy. But that might be because I was doing 25 rep. sets, not 200. Either way, doing them as part of a very fast HIIT circuit does still have its value. The one-leggers are killer. I still like those, and add weight in the form of dumbbells when I can.

As for the lifting ideas, they're excellent. The plastic jerry cans especially. I'll probably do that. I might even raid the rubble from a neighboring construction site.

With (designed for lifting) weights, it's not so much the cash as it is the situation, as you said. I'm currently staying with friends and move around a lot, which means that piling x lbs of weights and bars and racks into a truck I don't have is problematic. One thing about it, though, is that it's forced me to be creative and to vary things.

I'll try the ad hoc weights and let you know what works and what works not as well.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

weights and wu's

Post by Onlyethic » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Started using a backpack full of sand-filled 2 liter water bottles to do shoulder press. Not that much weight, to be honest (maybe around 35lb), but as part of a very fast circuit it has its value.

I'm trying to move to more intensive bodyweight exercises: planche pushup, dragon flags, one arm pullups (can't do it, but working up), weighted pull ups/pushups and headstand pushup. Running on loose sand also get my legs sore the next day. Thoughts on this? Using extremely difficult bodyweight exercise? Any recommendations, especially for chest?

I'm definitely feeling the (negative) effects of not using weights, especially on the mid-line/core. And also on trying to work my hamstrings, as per Ironman's recommendation to deal with knee issues.

On the positive side, I started kung fu classes. It's about 15 guys in the class, almost all are ex-military, very serious. I find that keeping up in the workout is no problem at all. Probably on account of the HIIT training. It's just getting kicked in the thigh repeatedly that sucks.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:11 am

Running in sand is great, so is running in water. You can vary it by lifting your feet out of the water as you run or drag your feet through the water.

For you chest, weighted pushups are good, your backpack would work. I assume you have already tryed elevating your feet and have tried different hand placements. Explosive pushps where you leave the ground will help you engage your fast twitch fibres.

I find with air squats, they are a whole different exercise once the reps start rising. Try them with your backpack on, or to work your core more, held over your head.

Stu

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:09 pm

This is the same guy with the muscle imballnce pulling his patellas. No running in the sand or squating for right now. Try some sand bag goodmornings. Romainian deadlift various heavy objects, lay on your back with your feet on a couch or bench and push yourself up with something heavy on you. Maybe try something similar to the glute ham raise by putting your feet under something. Keep all lower body work to posterior chain and calves.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Hard and harder bodyweight exercises are a good way to go. I'm still working on my first handstand pushup and one-legged squat. The crossfit folks do lots of this stuff - look on their website video section for "pushup variations." Some of them are kind of silly because that have fun with it, but there is a lot of good stuff.

Adding a sandbag is good, a weighted vest can help too - you don't have to worry about balance or shifting weights if you do pushups with a vest instead of a plate on your back!

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:59 am

thanks for the tips.

I've started doing Romanian Deadlifts with ad hoc weight, as well as Good Mornings. I do them one handed-one legged, though in reality I need to find heavier weight and do the exercises with improved form.

I'll try the couch-bench thing. I find also that paying attention to lower back and glutes helps things, as does stretching, of course.