wrist curl angle?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

wrist curl angle?

Post by frogbyte » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:50 pm

When doing http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFl ... tCurl.html with elbows at wrist height I notice quite a bit of unusual discomfort. How critical is maintaining a 0 degree parallel angle to the ground, vs say a 45 degree angle sloping downward?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Try it on a preacher bench. That will give you the downward angle.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Well I guess it is possible if I stand/crouch at a certain height I could use a preacher bench like http://www.larryscott.com/bio/products/ ... eacher.jpg to do so. But I'm wondering if it'll make the excercize much less beneficial?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:16 am

Is it possible it's the wrist angle? I find barbell forearm curls hurt me sometimes. Instead, I'd use an EZ Curl bar because the bent form kept my wrists in a more natural and strong angle. Let me load up the weight without any usual wrist discomfort.

I'm not sure if that addresses your problem, but you might try that. Or try dumbells, which will also allow you to turn the wrist a bit to a more natural position.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm

You can also try behind-the-back wrist curls. These are performed standing with a straight barbell held behind your butt (pronated grip). The ROM is short, but you get a great, full contraction, and they shouldn't bother your wrists.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:59 pm

I tried a few different rotational angles. The palm pointed straight to the ceiling, ie 0 degrees, which was the what seemed to be recommended. I then tried an EZ curl with left palm facing about 30 degrees to the right, and right palm about 30 degrees to the left. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. At 40 lbs I noticed no issue for the first 8 reps or so, but then it still felt uncomfortable again in an odd manner as though the wrist were dislocating slightly on each rep.

Hmm I only have an EZ curl barbell, but it's straight near the ends - will try the behind-the-back method.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm

You can probably do these with a curl bar if you position your hands relatively close together (~6-8" apart) in a semi-supinated possition.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:43 pm

I tried with the ezcurl bar that I have access to and it didn't work out well. The problem is that with hands wide apart where it's straight it's a very awkward grip to curl up. Close together where the bar is slanted it's hard to hold because the bar wants to constantly rotate so that the Vs point up.

After trying lots of different things I did have a good deal with the following:

Set a normal full bench up at about a 45 degree angle. Stand behind the top of the bench with the elbow and wrist laid on the bench, palm up, dumbell in hand. Let the dumbell roll down to a the fingertips, then pull it back up to the palm, and then curl the wrist up.

So - anyone see any problems there? It felt much more comfortable, but gave a pretty fierce burn/pump after 30 reps with a 15lb dumbell.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:50 pm

If you're going to do that, why not do it vertically? I used to do that same technique standing, with one dumbell in each hand held at my sides. Worked for reverse wrist curls and wrist curls alike. When you get to heavier weights you may want to do one arm at a time that way, just so you can concentrate on not dropping a dumbell on your foot if you let it get to close to your fingers and lose it.

And FWIW on the EZ curl bars I meant grabbing the bent bits. I generally did those with my forearms on my knees or on a flat bench.

strathmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by strathmeyer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:15 am

If the bar hurts, why not dumbbells?