very interesting article for endomorphs

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

very interesting article for endomorphs

Post by Wouter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:39 pm

I've just seen an article which explains all the basic nutritional facts (with scientific explanation) + has a basic nutritional plan for endomorphs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast49.htm you have to click on the icon in the midsection to see the article.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Brilliant stuff for the most part. A great read. I don't know about the cardio fetish, but other then that it's a really good program. Lot's of useful information for endos in there.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:20 pm

What would be a good source of complex/low GI carbs you could drink or make a shake out of?

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 am

I would think of a smoothie (lots of fruits = low GI) with a bland protein powder or milk mixed in, but I don't know if it would taste good.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:57 am

Well, I'm not sure about the fruit going through a blender being low GI. Kind of like the difference between fruit and fruit juice, the breakdown makes the sugars more avail, although that in itself isn't a real bad thing. I would suggest just making a small shake with just protein poder, and eating an apple or pear along with it. I've been doing that for years, especially when I'm on the road and convenience is a priority.
That aside, a asty combo is vanilla protein powder, pineapple juice, and I added strawberries and blueberries. Sounds ghastl, but tasted pretty good
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:03 pm

That's an idea. Some kind of fruit or veggie based thing. Then a separate protein shake.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:10 pm

I don't really see how "blending" can change the GI. Maybe I am way off base but this is kind of like saying it matters how much you chew your food when in fact, the body will digest at almost exactly the same speed. Stomach acid is incredibly strong stuff and should reduce most food very rapidly to what you would have in a blender anyway.

If you mean that most foods you put in a smoothie are usually high GI to start with, then I agree.

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 am

Well, Ryan, just look at the gi of apples vs that of apple juice. Grandma must have known what she was talking about when she said eat your fruit, dont drink it. Thats what blending doe, it liquifies the stuff into juic.
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:20 am

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the lack of fibre/pulp is what makes apple juice higher GI than an apple; pulping an apple shouldn't change its GI, but taking the juice out and just drinking that would - you're seperating out the part with the high GI and dumping the low GI part that evens it out.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: very interesting article for endomorphs

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 am

Wouter wrote:I've just seen an article which explains all the basic nutritional facts (with scientific explanation) + has a basic nutritional plan for endomorphs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast49.htm you have to click on the icon in the midsection to see the article.
While an endomorph needs to be more sensitive to high glycemic index foods, that does not mean that a post workout high glycemic index beverage should be avoided.

A high glycemic index carbohydrate mixed with whey protein will enhance recover in the endomorph. The endomoprh just needs to limit the gram of high glycemic index carb ingested.

As the aticle notes, "It means that you do not need to jack insulin through the roof for your muscles to get glucose!" Limiting the number of gram of a high glycemic index food promotes recovery while without jacking your "insulin through the roof."

Nutritionist, Dr John Berardi left the answer open to that in his recommendation, "All starchy and sugary carbs should be included only during/after exercise if at all." Thus, a high glycemic index beverage is not out of the question.

The article notes, "While insulin will certainly enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
(pure glucose) is not needed..."

Granted. However, 100 gram is an excessive. Twenty grams of a high glyceminc index carbohydrate will get the job done.

Another post workout meal, would follow within two hours. This meal would be composed of more complex, low glycemic index carbohydrates.

The best method of knowing what is going on is to purchase a glycometer and monitor what is going on.

Kenny Croxdale

Dr John Berardi
Carb Timing Rules::

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:23 am

I've been trying to find a reference but all I can find are others of the same opinion so I'll give my opinion anyway. Juice, with or without pulp, has a higher GI that the same food eaten whole. Adding protein and fat to the meal will lower GI.

So, if you are going to make a smoothie, add some protein and fat.

edit:I just found a study:http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/1/30
"Conclusion: In healthy non-diabetic subjects, the blood glucose and triglyceride responses are similar for a nutritional formula compared to an isoenergetic standard test meal. However, the insulin response differs."
Last edited by stuward on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:29 am

TimD wrote:Well, Ryan, just look at the gi of apples vs that of apple juice. Grandma must have known what she was talking about when she said eat your fruit, dont drink it. Thats what blending doe, it liquifies the stuff into juic.
Tim
Tim,

I looked up apples and apple juice. Evidently, they are pretty close. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I think part of the problem is like Dan Duchane once said. He was more concerned with the amount of carbohydrates rather than the glycemic index.

With that said, you can consume more carbohydrates/calories from drinking apple juice than you can eating apples.

Kenny Croxdale

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:44 am

You have a point there. Pretty easy to chug down a big cold glass of apple juiceon a hot day, but I have trouble eating one of those big Washington delicious apples. Plus the fiber from the pulp is a good thing (certainly keeps my colon clean). The other thing being, the GI is shifting over towards the II (insulin index} or glycemic LOAD these days anyway, and while they track pretty similar, there have been some surprizing findings. For instance (and this is a good thing for rice lovers), rice, both brown and white, track moderately high on the GI, but track moderate (pretty close to midrange) on the II, and fatty meats such as sausages, which are next to nothing on GI, track fairly high on the II. That's not even going into food combinations.
Tim

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:16 am

TimD wrote:You have a point there. Pretty easy to chug down a big cold glass of apple juiceon a hot day, but I have trouble eating one of those big Washington delicious apples. Plus the fiber from the pulp is a good thing (certainly keeps my colon clean). The other thing being, the GI is shifting over towards the II (insulin index} or glycemic LOAD these days anyway, and while they track pretty similar, there have been some surprizing findings. For instance (and this is a good thing for rice lovers), rice, both brown and white, track moderately high on the GI, but track moderate (pretty close to midrange) on the II, and fatty meats such as sausages, which are next to nothing on GI, track fairly high on the II. That's not even going into food combinations.
Tim
Good article on GI: http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-chal ... index.html

Since reading that I simplified my thinking to 'processed' vs 'unprocessed'.

I think for 95% of the population that's enough.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 am

The other thing being, the GI is shifting over towards the II (insulin index} or glycemic LOAD these days anyway, and while they track pretty similar, there have been some surprizing findings.
Yea, the insulin index. One of the interesing things I read on it was how milk was listed low on the glycemic index but high on the insulin index.

Kenny