Trying to get bigger pecs

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

soldiers33
n00b
n00b

Trying to get bigger pecs

Post by soldiers33 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me good routines to get bigger pecs. I hav acces to barbells, dumbells, and one of those workout things.

Also one more thing how long will it take until I start to see results?

Thx Alex

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Bench press is the way to go. Flat or decline for lower. Dips are also good for lower. Incline is good for upper. You really need to use both barbell and dumbbell for good chest development. Underdevelopment of the front delts, triceps or any part of the back can hurt chest development. You generally want to use heavier weights with lower reps. You need to have strong rotator cuffs too in order to be able to take the weight on the shoulders. You can train the chest with more sets and more frequency for a limited time to help bring it up if it is your lagging muscle group.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Trying to get bigger pecs

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm

soldiers33 wrote:Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me good routines to get bigger pecs. I hav acces to barbells, dumbells, and one of those workout things.
Just out of curiousity:

1 - Could you list your current routine? Include exercises, sets, reps and frequency of training.

2 - What do you think of your other body parts, particularly legs and back?

soldiers33
n00b
n00b

Post by soldiers33 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:17 am

Currently I do 10 reps 20 flyes
2 reps 20 benchpress
10 reps 20 pullovers
about 20 dips, and some wide arm push ups.

I have been working for about 3 weeks now, and my chest muscles have been hurting. Is this a good thing or am I doing something wrong?

I have back muscles since I did gymnastics a couple of years ago, but it seems to be fading now.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:32 am

Is that 20 reps or 20 sets? either way, very bad. I'd take a week off from working out. Then ease back into it. How about this 2x6 flat bench, 2x6 weighted chest dips, 4x6 incline bench. Then on a different day do 3x3 flat bench, 3x3 dips, 6x3 incline. Load the 6's around 75% of 1RM or so, and load the triples at 90%. Switch off between dumbbells and barbells. Like one week do all you flat on barbell and all incline on dumbbell and then reverse it the next week. Or you could do a barbell week and then a dumbbell week.

soldiers33
n00b
n00b

Post by soldiers33 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:33 am

Sorry, could you explain it better please, becuase ima bit confused. What do you mean do 75% 1RM and then something 90%.

And wouldnt i get slower results by doing less reps?

thanks

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:39 am

soldiers33 wrote:Sorry, could you explain it better please, becuase ima bit confused. What do you mean do 75% 1RM and then something 90%.

And wouldnt i get slower results by doing less reps?
75% of 1RM means 75% of your maximum for a lift. If you can bench press 200 pounds once, for example, 150 pounds is 75% of your 1RM, and 180 pounds is 90% of your 1RM.

As far as reps go, heavier reps build more muscle than lighter reps. But you can't do as many. Doing endless sets of light reps will increase muscle endurance, not size.
soldiers33 wrote:Currently I do 10 reps 20 flyes
2 reps 20 benchpress
10 reps 20 pullovers
about 20 dips, and some wide arm push ups

I have back muscles since I did gymnastics a couple of years ago, but it seems to be fading now..
Thanks, but I wanted to know your WHOLE workout routine, not just your chest routine. Judging from your last sentence, training your back - or anything other than chest, for that matter - isn't a priority.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 am

soldiers33 wrote:Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me good routines to get bigger pecs. I hav acces to barbells, dumbells, and one of those workout things.
Dumbbells provide a better workout for the pectorials as well as dips. You work them through a fuller range of motion.

In performing the bench press, lowering the bar to the lower part of the neck is much better than to the chest. Also, working the bench press from the bottom to about half way up places more work on the pecs.

Dumbbell fly exercises also work the pecs well.
That depends on many factors.

Kenny Croxdale

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Dear soldiers33,

Someone needs to tell you this...

I don't know much about you, but am pretty sure that you are a beginner. Therefore you don't need bigger pecs, you need bigger and stronger everything. Never mind that you 'did gymastics a couple of years ago.'

So what you need to do is find a good beginner program and stick with it. A good beginner program will dedicate an equal amount of time to training all body parts, will focus mostly on compund free weight movements.

Here is one: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayar ... hp?aid=133

Do this for 4-6 weeks, then for the next 4-6 weeks do the same exercises or substitute with similar exercises and do 8-12 reps instead of 12-15.

THEN, come back for more advice :)

EDIT: OR Go here: http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3817 and choose one of the beginner routines.

P.S. Eat lots of good food.
Last edited by George G on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Guys,

Not to step on anybody's toes, but do you really think this guy needs to be doing flies? Or triples on the bench press? Or countless chest exercises?

I don't think so.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:19 pm

Definitely not flys or countless chest exercises. Not triples either if he is a beginner. I just thought he needed help with his chest routine and had heard you had to do chest like that. He could be a beginner that just needs to get started with a good routine though. Hard to say.

nicolecarter'sfunfitness
n00b
n00b

Post by nicolecarter'sfunfitness » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:14 am

hi soldiers33!

i'm wondering if you should put in a bit of variety using plyometric exercise with clap press ups. what do you think guys?

i have found that this has made a difference to my pecs as you are using body weight. i'm sure theres a demo vid here on exrx if you need to see what i'm talking about. this has also developed my lats and back quite nicely as well as getting my arms firmed up.

nicole :0)

Thx Alex

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:39 am

nicolecarter'sfunfitness wrote:hi soldiers33!

i'm wondering if you should put in a bit of variety using plyometric exercise with clap press ups. what do you think guys?
As a beginner, I wouldn't have thought going any where near plyometrics was a good idea.

Specifically, he won't have the strength in the stabilizing muscles to avoid injury. Plyometrics are an advanced exercise technique and pretty much useless to anyone who doesn't have aspirations to advanced level competitve sports requiring exposive power.

As this chap simply want's a bigger chest, surely generic resistance training program is a good idea. And eating lots.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 am

Yea I agree with Daniel. Plyos are for sports training. Big muscles come from lifting heavy and eating big.

nicolecarter'sfunfitness
n00b
n00b

anatomical adaptation

Post by nicolecarter'sfunfitness » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:59 am

hi!

I didn't realise that he was a beginner I should have read all the blog before giving my opinion on clap press ups, but even so body weight exercises ( albeit that plyometrics IS advanced ) are a form of anatomical adaptation exercise which has been quoted as being suitable for beginners, it depends on the position of the press up which is most suited to this guy. i'd have to know how many full pressups he's doing first.

plyometrics can be used as a form of cross training and adding variety into your routine, which are both always good for maintaining an interesting workout and therefore adherence.

I have successfully trained complete beginners on full press ups, mostly men who followed a standard routine warm up and stretch and were quite light. when someone is heavier it is more difficult for them to start off with full press ups. I'd like to know what his routine is and where he is at the moment with press ups and other pec work. most men don't like the idea of doing the half knees on the ground pressups unless in private!!

nicole :0)

Ironman wrote:Yea I agree with Daniel. Plyos are for sports training. Big muscles come from lifting heavy and eating big.