darn tired

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

darn tired

Post by zachsikidhart » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 am

hey guys! i have been doing rippetoes' for a couple of months now and i noticed that my progress has slowed down considerably. i also feel sore much longer than before, i start to miss sets, i feel 'spent' after a workout.

i think i'm not getting 8 hours of sleep per day, but that didn't change since i started. i have been trying to reduce the amount of food i eat lately since i have noticed that my weight keeps on climbing... i started at 89 kg, now im 93... while those might be muscle gain, when i measured my bodyfat% from the electronic scale, i just lost 0.4% (26.8 -> 26.4) after a month.

i know that i shouldnt expect dramatic results, but i feel that im doing something wrong, since i feel more tired than before.

any suggestions?

Currently:
Day A: Squats, Benchpress, Deadlift
Day B: Squats, Militarypress, Rows

oh and my friend tells me that i spend too much time warming up. for squats i usually start with:
40kg x 8
60kg x 5
80kg x 4
100 x 3
110 x 1
120 x 5 <- my current set 3x
then cool down like:
100 x 3
60 x 5
takes me around 30 minutes to finish. too long? is this what's causing me to feel tired? what do you guys think?

thanks!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:34 am

Sounds like you've hit a plateau, and are starting to regress. Classic overtraining.

Are you constantly trying to add more weight every workout? If you are, you'll hit a plateau much sooner than you would if you did heavy/light/moderate or heavy/light training.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:47 am

Yeah, what Stephen said. To add to it, Rippetoes is a good program, but it's based on linear progression, which will not ocntinue forever, Rippetoe even mentions this in his book (and in the synopsis, see the sticky on baisc routines) and gives hints on deloading periods, etc. Here is a good piece on the subject w/examples by JV Askem
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/Periodize.htm

On another note, your warmup is fine, don't kell yourself on the progression upwards, but no reason to dawdle either, s they aren't close to work sets, and second, think and decide for yourself, don't let your "friends" dictate anything. If you're comfortable with the warm up, then it's good for you.
Tim

nicolecarter'sfunfitness
n00b
n00b

Re: darn tired

Post by nicolecarter'sfunfitness » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:24 am

hi!

you might have " just lost 0.4% after a month " but PLEASE DON'T REDUCE YOUR CALORIE INTAKE. I have a lot of experience with over training and under eating and PLEASE beleive me when I say it doesn't matter what weight you are if you are increasing your training you should increase your calorie intake even if your goal is to lose fat. don't decrease the amount you eat just make better choices about what you DO eat. there is a good blog on this site under visitors articles called the skinny on fat. to summerise you need the energy going in to get the energy out and good fats contain the building blocks for steroid hormone production as well as the ability to dissolve the vitamins A,D,E,K.

this may sound hasty after just having read a little of your routine but when you say you are getting tired i feel an empathy from over training and under eating myself as i said, IF THAT'S WHAT IT IS.

please let me know what you think and how you are getting on. If you want I've got some maths equations i could use to work out exactly what calorie intake you should be eating.

good luck and take care, you don't want to get injured like i did!!

nicole :0)

zachsikidhart wrote:hey guys! i have been doing rippetoes' for a couple of months now and i noticed that my progress has slowed down considerably. i also feel sore much longer than before, i start to miss sets, i feel 'spent' after a workout.

i think i'm not getting 8 hours of sleep per day, but that didn't change since i started. i have been trying to reduce the amount of food i eat lately since i have noticed that my weight keeps on climbing... i started at 89 kg, now im 93... while those might be muscle gain, when i measured my bodyfat% from the electronic scale, i just lost 0.4% (26.8 -> 26.4) after a month.

i know that i shouldnt expect dramatic results, but i feel that im doing something wrong, since i feel more tired than before.

any suggestions?

Currently:
Day A: Squats, Benchpress, Deadlift
Day B: Squats, Militarypress, Rows

oh and my friend tells me that i spend too much time warming up. for squats i usually start with:
40kg x 8
60kg x 5
80kg x 4
100 x 3
110 x 1
120 x 5 <- my current set 3x
then cool down like:
100 x 3
60 x 5
takes me around 30 minutes to finish. too long? is this what's causing me to feel tired? what do you guys think?

thanks!

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 am

You may be ready for Madcow's 5x5.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/t ... thread.htm

Lower volume with a light squat day on Weds. The warmup is buit in so the volume is controled. The first week you start out about 10% less than your max and then you progress at 2.5% per week so it had a built in deloading right off the bat.

Before you try that, as it is a slower progression, try a 2 week deloading by dropping volume and max weight. The try progressing as before.

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

Post by zachsikidhart » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:33 pm

thanks for your responses!
TimD wrote: On another note, your warmup is fine, don't kell yourself on the progression upwards, but no reason to dawdle either, s they aren't close to work sets, and second, think and decide for yourself, don't let your "friends" dictate anything. If you're comfortable with the warm up, then it's good for you.
Tim
That's kind of the purpose of having a training buddy isn't it? "your back rounded on your fourth rep. or you descended too fast, etc.." Besides, he did have a valid point that i am doing more and more warmups than ever before which possibly caused me to get tired. A part of me agrees, a part of me doesn't and that's why I asked in this forum. chill :D

oh by the way, I did my benchpress the other day, the first rep went perfectly, like i felt i could finish all my sets. then it quickly got harder until i couldn't lift the 5th one. every set after that the number of reps got lower. but in the first rep, i always felt great. it just felt like suddenly my strength was diminished. its kind of hard to explain, but i can usually tell if a set will be going well based on how i feel about the first rep, and that one felt great "yup i can do this" feeling. no muscle ache afterwards either. this is kinda new to me hehe..

thanks again

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Something else to note, and I am not an expert on your program so maybe this is part of it, you do not really need to cool down. Also, it does seem like you are taking a long time overall.

You do 8 sets( 2 of which I think arent needed) and you say that lasts 30 minutes. At 3 minutes per set, that is only 24 minutes and you shouldn't need 3 minutes rest on the first 2-3 warmup sets.

Rather than deloading, you could just take a week off and start fresh. A couple of months is also a long time to be doing the exact same thing. The others have posted ideas on changing it up but I thought I would post about the length of your workout.

recmatt
Novice
Novice

Post by recmatt » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 am

I agree with Ryan A, too many sets of squats and maybe you need a break for a week or two. Perhaps take a look at your lifestyle also. Is your job very physical? Sometimes you need to look at the big picture.