Routines Question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Francisco Bizarro
n00b
n00b

Routines Question

Post by Francisco Bizarro » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm

I have a question about the workout templates, which I'm sure stems from my own inability to understand it...

General workout sense on this site maintains that fewer basic routines per workout (about 5) are always best and eschews isolation techniques. But when I look at the workout templates, only the Beginner's templates are true to this, while the more advanced ones, such as the 4-Day Split, seem to suggest longer workouts with lots of isolation. What did I miss?

Thanks

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Simply put, the more advanced a trainee, the more "non-standard" techniques they can use to their advantage. This comes from experience working through the basic beginner routines, finding what is optimum for them. In my opinion, it takes years to develop a truly solid foundation and consider yourself an advanced trainee.

For someone who is just training for recreation or general health, basic full body exercises will be most beneficial. If you find that the basic routines are not working, it would probably be more beneficial for you to look at a more advanced split/rep scheme than to switch away from compound exercises and move to isolation exercises.

Francisco Bizarro
n00b
n00b

Post by Francisco Bizarro » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Cool, thanks.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:09 pm

You have to mix it up and try different things. I am advanced and I do full body sometimes. Sometimes I do very minimalist routines virtually all compound, sometimes I do more isolation and split it up more.

I never do a lot of isolation or random body part splits though. It just isn't good for raw mass or natural training. The main application for those kind of splits are for pre-contest muscle separation, ratios and fixing weak spots during a steroid cycle.