dip alternatives?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

dip alternatives?

Post by zachsikidhart » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:58 am

we don't have an assisted dip machine, and i can't carry my own weight for dips, what should i do?

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:14 am

You can do bench dips. Put a dumbbell or plate in your lap or put your feet on a bench to make it harder, bend your knees to make it easier.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tri ... chDip.html

These are more of a tricep exercise than chest but pushups complement them nicely.

There are other ways to assist a normal dip (These all work for chin ups too):

If you have a training partner you can have him hold your feet to make it easier.

Place a box under you and rest your feet on that.

Use rubber bands to hold some of your weight.

Jump up and do negatives.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:33 am

When you do bench dips, does raising your feet up higher make it more difficult? Does it angle matter (i.e., if my feet are above level with the bench I'm dipping off of, is that harder or easier than parallel)?

I do these with my feet on the floor with a weight plate on my lap when I need to do dips. I'm wondering how I should make them more challenging for my muscles.

Peter

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 am

Try it. I've tried it feet on the floor and feet on the bench. The bench is harder. I don't know if there is any advantage in going higher. The plate is an easy addition. Try doing them on parallel bars with your legs in an L-sit position That way you have your entire body weight on your hands and you're working your abs.