Tried this 5day...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Frank
n00b
n00b

Tried this 5day...

Post by Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:52 pm

So I gave this 5day workout a go since I wanted to do some iso work and deads and sldl same week. It's a very simple plan but it did allow me to push some good weight.

1st exercise is 5x5 and second is 4x5. Ramping to top set.

Monday
Squats
SLDL

Tuesday
Military Press
Incline Bench

Wednesday
Pendlay's
Chins

Thursday
Bench
Close Grips

Friday
Deads
BB Curls

I think it's low enough volume to allow for 5 days in a row. I'll tell ya, I get restless on those days off , I feel lazy, and can only think about my next workout. This way I can go in fresh, hit the main lift with intensity get the other exercise done and get out. I did it for the first time this week (save friday) and I've made PR's on every lift. Anyone tried something like this before? thoughts?

sidenote: I notice when I start with bench it takes a while for my shoulder to get warmed up, feel a slight pain in it. But it seems like when I deadlift first, then bench, my shoulder is fine. Any particular reason for this?

Thanks for the advice and input

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:50 am

The total number of sets that you do each week comes out to 45. Since the typical workout has between 20-30 sets, your volume is no more than someone who works out two days a week. You're unlikely to overtrain on that volume. But it is equally unlikely that you'll continue to make PRs forever - sooner or later, some sort of adaptation will set in. When it does, you'll have to go to a Plan B.

As for your shoulder, deadlifts pull the shoulder capsule forward while bench presses push it back. You might have a minor shoulder impingement or imbalance. Be sure that you don't allow your pushing power to far exceed your pulling power. For healthy shoulders, they should be somewhat in balance. And, of course, it's best to see a doctor if you really want to nail down a diagnosis of a health issue.

Keep a training journal. Knowing where you've been will help you see where you're going.

Good luck, and happy training.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Tried this 5day...

Post by George G » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:42 am

Frank wrote:So I gave this 5day workout a go since I wanted to do some iso work and deads and sldl same week. It's a very simple plan but it did allow me to push some good weight.

1st exercise is 5x5 and second is 4x5. Ramping to top set.

Monday
Squats
SLDL

Tuesday
Military Press
Incline Bench

Wednesday
Pendlay's
Chins

Thursday
Bench
Close Grips

Friday
Deads
BB Curls

I think it's low enough volume to allow for 5 days in a row. I'll tell ya, I get restless on those days off , I feel lazy, and can only think about my next workout. This way I can go in fresh, hit the main lift with intensity get the other exercise done and get out. I did it for the first time this week (save friday) and I've made PR's on every lift. Anyone tried something like this before? thoughts?

sidenote: I notice when I start with bench it takes a while for my shoulder to get warmed up, feel a slight pain in it. But it seems like when I deadlift first, then bench, my shoulder is fine. Any particular reason for this?

Thanks for the advice and input
I know what you mean when you say you feel restless - but that's the idea. That way you came pumped for every workout!