Deadlift and back imbalance questions

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

zachsikidhart
n00b
n00b

Deadlift and back imbalance questions

Post by zachsikidhart » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:11 am

hi! i have noticed that most of the gif's i have seen usually portrays deadlifts as feet near each other then lifting with your hands at the outer side of your body. in this gym i go to, the owner says wide stance, with both arms on the inner side (between your knees). hes a competitive weight lifter and thats how his other 2 buddies do it. kinda like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6s-xkPNCLM
any difference?

my back feels imbalanced. i think the left side of my erector spinae http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/ErectorSpinae.html seems slightly bigger than the right(im right handed by the way)
im not sure if it was like this before i started, or if this is caused by some sort of improper squatting/deadlifting technique. what do you guys make of this? any ways to correct this?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 am

There are two types of competition deadlift. In the Standard Deadlift you take a relatively narrow stance and grip the bar outside of your legs. In the Sumo Deadlift you take a very wide stance and grip the bar between your knees. Both methods are permited in powerlifting competitions and current records have been set with both. Which style you choose is just a matter of personal preferance.

PS.) I've read that taller powerlifters generally prefer the Standard Deadlift, while shorter lifters more often prefer the Sumo Deadlift, however this is only a generalization. I'm only 5'6" and still prefer Standard Deadlifts.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:47 am

You may hear people refer to other deadlift variations like the straight-leg deadlift, stiff-knee deadlift and Romanian deadlift. These are all good exercises. However, only the standard and sumo deadlift are used in competitions.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 am

There are 2 styles of deadlifting, conventional and sumo.

The best kind for normal health and fitness is conventional. competitive powerlifters sometimes use Sumo style as the back is more upright and the range of motion is shorter. Depending on the lifter's body type one or the other may provide a better lift. If you compete you should try both and see what works best for you. If you are not competing, stick with conventional.

As for the imbalance, it may just be that that's the way you are built. Everyone has some imbalance. What type of grip are you using for the deadlift? If you are using an alternating grip dod you switch it back and forth? I don't know anything else that might cause this. You could do 1 legged deadlifts with dumbbells. It's a good idea anyway to incorporate aysymetrical lifts in your program anyway.

Stu

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:51 pm

For some reason Sumo Deadlifts and powerlifting style Squats are in the Powerlifting section, but not in the exercise and muscle directory.

tyler

Post by tyler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Do you think its weird that I prefer a standard deadlift stance but a wide squat stance?!

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:32 pm

No that's not weird at all. Lots of people squat with a wide stance and still prefer standard deadlifts.