what time of the day do you workout?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

recmatt
Novice
Novice

what time of the day do you workout?

Post by recmatt » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:27 pm

At present i workout in the afternoon, usually about 4pm. In an ideal world i would workout early in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up and therefore reducing the chances of skipping a workout due to any distractions. I'm interested to hear what time others workout. Does the body store enough energy overnight to complete an effective workout on an empty stomach early in the morning?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: what time of the day do you workout?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:20 pm

recmatt wrote:At present i workout in the afternoon, usually about 4pm. In an ideal world i would workout early in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up and therefore reducing the chances of skipping a workout due to any distractions. I'm interested to hear what time others workout. Does the body store enough energy overnight to complete an effective workout on an empty stomach early in the morning?
Actually, the human body is at its physical peak in the mid afternoon. Or so I've read several times - I'll try to dig up some confirmatory links. Although lots of people do like working out in the morning, unless you're an early bird, your performance might take a hit. But it's better to work out then than later if you keep blowing off the later workouts.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Nowadays I work out at night most days - usually around 6:30 to 7 pm. In the past I've done both evening and morning workouts. I prefer morning workouts, and I didn't notice any decreased performance. I might just be a morning person.

But then again, the military makes people do PT in the morning, maybe it's just a matter of adjusting your cycle.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 am

I start my training at around 19:30 till 20:30, so it ends around 20:30 till 21:30. I like it because it fits very well in my regular evening and I can go to bath immediately after my workout, which is according to me good for keeping some extra muscle and flexibility, after that I've got some time to relax before I go to bed.

I've never tried to exercise in the mornings because I can't focus/stand up straight in the morning.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:33 am

In the Army we're encouraged to work out frequently and we're given time during regular hours to train. I usually go 8-9:30 in the morning. If I leave it to later in the day, I usually get sidetracked with less important stuff like work. I work out in the evening once in a while but I don't have the energy then so its usually last resort. Some people in my office like to go at lunch. They add their workout time to their lunch hour and get in a longer workout. A lot of runners do that.

Stu

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:41 pm

7 a.m., five days a week. I'm too shattered after work to work out effectively (so I do some cardio). I eat some lowfat yogurt beforehand. I'm not a morning person, but I'm hooked to the pre-job workout.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:59 pm

I work out whenever I get the chance at this period in time. Because of football and school its hard getting the time to put in a serious workout. Right now I get about 15 mins. in the gym before football, and I continously work my back since I need that to get built because I've always neglected it. But when I'm in my 'cycle' I go usually 4-6 times at 2:30-5:00pm sometimes 7 times a week (bad idea) if I feel I didn't push myself to my full potential and left the workout feeling disapointed.