sprained wrist. what to do and how long to heal

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

sprained wrist. what to do and how long to heal

Post by VoK » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 pm

I sprained my left wrist pretty badly going for a diving catch last week. The sprain is on the top on the wrist (palm facing down, it is the area around the circular bump).

I was wondering what types of treatments you guys have used to cure this? I have most of my motion back but I cannot position my wrists to do pushups or handstands.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: sprained wrist. what to do and how long to heal

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 pm

VoK wrote:I sprained my left wrist pretty badly going for a diving catch last week. The sprain is on the top on the wrist (palm facing down, it is the area around the circular bump).

I was wondering what types of treatments you guys have used to cure this? I have most of my motion back but I cannot position my wrists to do pushups or handstands.
If the pain has lessened since the time of the injury, your best bet is to continue to rest your wrist. Heat, ice, liniment and painkillers can also be uised, as can a compression bandage if there is any swelling. But if the pain hasn't lessened, see a doctor

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:20 am

Rest is the best medicine. I sprained my wrist last November just prior to a fight, had to drop out and take enforced time off from fighting (if you drop for medical reasons, it's equal to a doctor stoppage). The only thing that worked in the long run for me was rest. I used the time to work on my lower body - lots of cycling (I could steady the bike with my forearm on one side), air squats, jumping drills, etc. Some work on my right side, but little lifting as most of my productive lifts at the time were two-handed.

But rest is what healed the wrist.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:41 am

Just thought i would add...

When you feel ready to lift again, you could do most lifts with a 'thick bar'. By doing so the tension is spread across more of your hand and forearm muscles and therefore takes some stress off the wrist itself.

If you get 2 pairs of "lynx grips" and double them up, you have a thick bar for everything. Will cost $30 (for 2 pairs) but they can be used forever and also to increase grip strength or prevent callouses, if they bother you. Sorry if I sound like a salesman lol but i just recently got these and they've been great. A friend with a constant wrist problem has been able to get back to lifting because of them as well.

http://www.lynxpt.com/

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:47 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to say - at age 34, it took 3 months for my sprained wrist to totally heal. It was useable without pain after 1 month, but for two months after it wasn't at full strength when bent. So after 1 month I could punch straight, but not hook punch or uppercut (you don't always hit flush, so the wrist can bend a little). I was weak pushing people away, as well.

But after a month anything straight was okay - I think that's when I started doing high-weight long-set barbell shrugs instead of a clean and shoulder press combo as part of my workout - I couldn't handle the bent wrist for those exercises but I could easily shrug with straight wrists. Probably could have deadlifted, too...