Thoughts on Crossfit

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Mike S, that's a fairly standardized view. Even the majority of the Crossfitters recognized that point, and the WODs are beginning to focus on maximimum strength a little more lately, especially since Coach Rippetoe got affiliated with them. After some asking around, and tallying up some replies and looking at some actual evidence, they've found that those that came from a strength base, be it bodybuilding/general fitness, PL OL or strength sports adapte much more readil to maximal strength than those that came from an endurance base. That's why a lot of them will do what they call the ME blackbox or do something along the lines of Stating Strength, to build a base on the basics before going full into the posted WOD's. They do seem to be pullup heavy over there as well, and rows can easily be subbed in or at least cutting down the volume seems to help somewhat.
Tim

MikeS
n00b
n00b

Post by MikeS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:26 pm

I also wasn't ready to do some of the WODs because of lack of experience with the exercises. So I've incorporated DLs, squats, and some of the olympic lifts in my program now to get familiar with them and improve my technique before (in case) I start back up on CF.

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm

That'swhat i would recommen for a beginnr.2-3 strength based workouts and maybe somesome Metcon sprint, bodyweight, heigher rep, lighter stuff onan offday or two
Tim

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:27 am

One idea I do like is using some of the Olympic lifts and their assistance lifts as Metcom/conditioning exercises. This appeals to me partly because I'm so bad at them, and therefore reluctant to include them in my strength workouts. Using them as metcon allows me to practice these exercises and get some benefit from them, without replacing any of my old favorites

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:29 am

It's also fun to play around with odd lifts like the One-arm DB Clean & Press and the One-arm Dumbbell Overhead Squat.

TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:53 am

Matt, that's exactly why I like them, they're a lot of fun, the DB variations don't require precise technique (it's basically "grip and rip"), and with lighter to moderate weights, they're perfect for Metcon as the full body in use gets you huffing and puffing like nothing else. The barbell versions w/lighter weights can give you a great Metcon workout while perfecting technique
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 am

Dumbbell Snatches are really fun, too - with a light weight it becomes a power snatch, with heavier weight I got into a full snatch. Like dumbbell swings, how much of it is metcon/power and how much of it is strength depends on how much weight I use.

Today I did power snatches - I loaded up a dumbbell with 15kg and did Ross Enamait's "Magic 50" - 10 dumbbell snatches (5 per hand), 10 one-handed dumbbell swings (5 per hand), 10 burpees, 5 rounds for time. It got me worked up, that's for sure, and like TimD said, you don't have quite as much technique to worry about with the dumbbell snatches so I was able to just plow through them.

Peter