Need Comments on Ideas for Routine

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

misch
n00b
n00b

Need Comments on Ideas for Routine

Post by misch » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 am

For quite a while I've been doing an Upper/Lower split based on the exrx template. I've been trying the "low volume" approach where I just do one warmup set and one workout set for each exercise, which allows me to do a large variety of exercises in relatively short time.

Lately, however, I've been thinking of trying something new - mainly, streamlining the exercises, and going back to multiple workout sets. Trouble is, I can't decide if I should try a full-body approach (which I haven't done in a very long time) or a different upper-lower split. Here are my two ideas:

Full Body:

Squat
Straight-Leg Deadlift
Bench Press
Horizontal Row
Military Press
Pull-up
Abs

I would do this workout on 3 non-consecutive days. My chief concern is that this could turn into a pretty long work-out. I suppose I could ditch the pull-ups but it just seems unbalanced if I have both Bench & MP but only one upper-body pull.

Alternatively, I've just been thinking of sticking with an upper/lower split, but cutting out the direct arm work to allow for more sets of the big lifts:

Upper

Bench Press
Horizontal Row
Military Press
Pull-up

Lower

Squat
Straight-Leg Deadlift
Calf Press
Abs

Doing the split allows me to add a calf exercise and also ensures that I can keep each session short and efficient. But with my hectic schedule, I prefer to do lifting just 3 days a week, and if I do the upper/lower split, I'd want to get in each workout twice a week.

All suggestions regarding routine and my choice in exercises are welcome!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:40 am

You could try splitting it 3 ways. Like upper/lower/direct shoulder and arm work. Or maybe horizontal and quad/vertical and ham/isolation. Or you could do pressing and rowing/squat, shoulder elevation, arms/deadlift variations and calves, abs if needed. Or full body Monday, nothing but compound, fairly low volume, then Thursday and Friday, do upper/lower with higher volume and a little isolation thrown in.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:24 am

IM has some good ideas on the 3 way, but IRT your original Q, which was comments on the 2 suggested routines. I think both are well based, in particular the U/L split. It allows more attention and time for for the muliple sets you are suggesting to go to.
Comments on the full body. Good selection, however, It wcould, like you say, get a little long and drawn out. I would break iit up, but yet keep it full body, just alternating between the two. Something like this.
FB 1 (push.-pull horiz/quad dominant)
Squat your target multi set/rep schem
BP ditto
Horizontal Row ditto
Sldl (other other hip/ham thing) done for 2-3 sets 10-12 reps - a finisher of sorts
1-2 other Electives if you have gass in the tank

FB2 (vert push/pull, hip ham dominant)
1 Reg Deadlift ofr pull off the floor
2. Mil Press
3. Chins
(same sets/reps as FB1)
4. Lunge or split squat 2-3 X 10-12 (keeping it light but yet keeping quads alive)
5. Electives.

Just my thoughts on your two proposals
Tim

misch
n00b
n00b

Post by misch » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Those are all good ideas. I hadn't even considered something like IM's last idea, w/ the FB on Monday and a split Thurs/Fri. Thanks!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:15 am

My last idea for a 3 way didn't go so well though. Who'd figure a girl would get so upset when her sister shows up unexpectedly........ :)

There I go again, reading something and posting the first thing that pops into my mind......

tyler

Post by tyler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:05 am

Ironman wrote:My last idea for a 3 way didn't go so well though. Who'd figure a girl would get so upset when her sister shows up unexpectedly........ :)

There I go again, reading something and posting the first thing that pops into my mind......
The "enjoy your nuts guilt free" posting over on diet had me cracking up...

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:38 pm

I never was a big fan of the full body workout. I just don't think I'd hammer all the body parts enough in one work out to get end results from the workout. Im bigger fan of shoulders/back/traps then another day tri/chest and etc.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:40 am

That's just it, you don't hammer them all in 1 workout. But you hit them more frequently. It's good to switch it up.

It's good to know that everyone feels free to enjoy their nuts now.