Preferred rows

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:32 pm

The other problem with machines is they don't work stabilizers like free weights.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:11 am

I hate machines too. Would rather do body weight exercises than machines. The only machine I use is the chest supported row, but I hardly even use that. I think the only reason machines are so popular is because they are so convenient. You just sit down and grab the handles. You don't need to think about form and you can adjust the weight with a simple flick of a pin. Much in the same convenient way as having a television screen on your tread mill - woohoo, exercise and TV at the same time!

I also don't consider cables to be machines. Cables are cables, lol, but if you had to categorise them, they would be in the free weights category simply because cables are not fixed ROM and do require you to stabilise the weight - I thought that was a 'no brainer' :-)
Besides, have you ever tried doing hamstring curls without a machine? Using a hamstring curl machine is a lot better than dropping a dumbbell on your butt.
I do it all the time, in the form of Natural GHR's (glute ham raises). It's the same movement only it trains your hams in a functional way (with the glutes!) and requires a lot of stablity.

KPj

recmatt
Novice
Novice

Post by recmatt » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:20 am

I have a pair of old weight shoes which you can attach plates to. I used them for ham curls and leg ext'ns in the past but it's so awkward to get them on and off during a workout.