Improving grip for deadlifts

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:44 pm

I did some Farmer's Walks at the end of my workout yesterday. Instead of going upstairs to the walking/jogging track I just paced up and down the length of the weight room. My grip was already a little fatigued from doing chin-ups, so it didn't take much. I started with a pair of 80s, then 55s and finally 35s. By the end, my forearm flexors were on fire, and so pumped it felt like they were going to pop. Anyway, I'll have to include these more often to see if they help improve my grip.

Hoister

Post by Hoister » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:40 am

Matt Z wrote:Also, how often would you recomend training grip strength? Every Workout? Should I do additional grip work on rest days.
It's up to you and your goals. I used to do "grip" work at the end of every workout until i switched all my barbells and dumbells, farmers handles and wheelbarrow handles over to 2" diameters. All my training now is done with 2" handles for everything.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:33 pm

My forearms were still a little soar on Sunday, but they're 100% now and looking foreward to deadlifting later today.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:31 am

I managed two sets 370 lbs for 2 reps on Standard Deadlifts yesterday. It would have been three sets of 2 reps, but my grip came open mid-way throught the second rep of my second working set (I was past the sticking point at the time).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:33 am

Afterwards I did two 10 second static holds with 320 lbs.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:03 pm

I tried lifting without gloves on Monday. Surprisingly, I found my grip was dramatically stronger without the gloves, even though my hands were a little sweaty. Anyway, I've decided to stop using gloves altogether. It'll take a little while for my hands to toughen up (I already ripped two caluses doing Curl-grip Chin-ups yesterday), but it'll be worth it if I can move more weight and start making progress on my deadlift again.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:21 pm

I couldn't even imagine deadlifts with no gloves. OUCH!

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 am

Matt Z wrote:I tried lifting without gloves on Monday. Surprisingly, I found my grip was dramatically stronger without the gloves, even though my hands were a little sweaty. Anyway, I've decided to stop using gloves altogether. It'll take a little while for my hands to toughen up (I already ripped two caluses doing Curl-grip Chin-ups yesterday), but it'll be worth it if I can move more weight and start making progress on my deadlift again.

Matt,

Weaing gloves basically makes the bar thicker. A thicker bar works your grip a little harder, increasing your grip strenth.

I mentioned using gloves for "holding strength" movements in a previous post on this subject precisely for that reason. So, don't completely abandon the use of gloves.

Kenny Croxdale

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:50 am

"I couldn't even imagine deadlifts with no gloves. OUCH!" - Ironman

Funny thing is the deadlifts didn't bother my hands at all. It was the chin-ups that did it. Meanwhile, I didn't even feel it happen. I just looked down at the end of my set and saw the calus at the base of my middle finger was hanging on by a thread. When I checked my other hand it was the same way. They didn't really hurt or bleed, so I just peeled off the two caluses and finished my workout. Later, I trimmed off the rough edges with a fingernail clipper, and they seem to be healing well.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 am

I couldn't even imagine deadlifts with no gloves. OUCH!
The only times I ever use gloves:

1.) If I rip the calouses of my hands
2.) If my equiptment is really cold

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:56 am

"Weaing gloves basically makes the bar thicker. A thicker bar works your grip a little harder, increasing your grip strenth." - Kenny Croxdale

I think the biggest problem with gloves is that they wear smooth so quickly, even before they start to tear and pull apart. However, my gym has 1 1/2" diameter barbells I can use. I've been using these for deadlifts for a while, and I'm considering using them for all my barbell lifts.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am

I've found the same with gloves. Don't do anything and grip is better without them. I've got some nice calluses to show for it.

For a thick bar, I just use Lynx grips, only I double them up so that 2 are on each hand.

KPj

DeadFrog
Novice
Novice

Post by DeadFrog » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:12 am

In the words of Dave Chapelle, "I'm back bitches!" Been a year since I posted last.

Anyway, I use gloves only on two exercises: Stiff-Leg Deadlifts and tricep pushdowns. I like them on deadlifts because they help make a very comfortable hook grip. They have come in real handy when I had various cuts on my hand as well. Here are the gloves I use:

http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

They are AWESOME, I cannot stress that enough. AWESOME. With tons of padding exactly where you get callouses and lots of padding around the thumb, there is no hand laceration/old equipment/high impact lift that these bad boys cannot handle. I love the fact they are full fingered. The way they are sewn, they will not wear along the seams easily. My hands also are not overheated by this model.