toned body

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

kal
Rookie
Rookie

toned body

Post by kal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:02 pm

hi everybody i'm newbie, i work out at the gym but i'm not into budybuilding, i like to be in a good shape and healthy.
i play soccer so i don't lift heavy wight coz i don't want to be heavy and bulky coz i run alot, i would like to get a toned body, my body is ok my arm are almost toned, what i do is a regular training 3 sets 10 reps and the wight is not heavy not light, and i do cardio for about 30-45 min 3 times a week or sometimes every other day, some people are telling me to get a toned body i do light wight and more reps, i read on the website abouth that myth so what can i do, do i countinue what i'm doing or is there something else ?!!

for the last few years i've been training but not commiting to it somtimes i stop for few mothes but now i'm not.
i'm about 147 lb
plz i need some advise :)

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: toned body

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:52 pm

kal wrote:for the last few years i've been training but not commiting to it somtimes i stop for few mothes but now i'm not.
i'm about 147 lb
plz i need some advise :)
You have to give us more information about your workouts. Please list the exercises that you do - from your message, I'm getting the feeling that you're just exercising your arms.

Also be advised that, while you can miss a workout or two every now and then, if you drop out of training for months at a time you can't realistically expect to make long term progress towards a fitness goal.

TradelessJack
n00b
n00b

don't worry about getting bulky

Post by TradelessJack » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:08 pm

Getting really bulky isn't something you do on accident. It isn't as if you lift heavy for a few months and all of the sudden you can't fit through doorways. If you are trying to get that big, it takes both a workout routine that is conducive adding a lot of mass, and a deliberate effort to eat most everything is sight. If you did want to gain mass, it would be best to work out in the 8-15 rep range. You've been doing sets of 10 reps, and you didn't turn into the incredible hulk, so I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

Indeed it is a myth that using higher repetitions will make you "toned". Higher repetitions will increase your muscular endurance. When most people say that they want to be "toned", what they really mean is that they want to reduce their body fat percentage. The best way to do that is to replace body fat with muscle. Don't be afraid that working out at higher intensity (with heavier weights) will ruin your soccer game. The 1-4 rep range builds power, which allows you to accelerate from a stand-still to a full sprint more quickly, and kick the ball harder.

If you want muscle tone, the best bet is to replace any sugars in your diet with proteins, but don't necessarily eat any more or less food than you do now. Use this website to help you create a good resistance training routine (full body, or split) Change your workout periodically, progress through all 4 rep ranges (1-4 for power, 4-8 for strength, 8-16 for mass, 15-25 for endurance), and you will replace fat with muscle, and get stronger without "bulking up". If you want to continue your cardio, try to do it on your off days form the gym or do one workout in the morning and the other at night. Just don't let the cardio interfere with your strength training.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Let me tell you the difference between getting toned and hardcore bodybuilding. <TIME> That is it, just time. You do the same thing. If you want to get huge you do it for a long time. If you don't want to get huge, you don't do it for a long time. It's that simple.

That said, I need to know more about you. Do you need to gain a small amount of muscle, loose some fat or what?

If you want to waste time, light weight and more reps is perfect.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Strength is 1 to 6. Power is the same thing but lifting explosively. Hypertrophy is 6 to 12. Endurance is 12 to 15. Wasting your time is 16 and over.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:28 am

To the original poster. I agree with all the above, however, more directly, I see you read the "myths" article. Also read the article on "Toning" in the same section. It defines toning as simply strengthening and building some muscle while burning fat. It also lays out strategys for that. Your sport activities combined with a solid basic strength training program will do that nicely.Lot of templates on sitefor beginner listed in that section. As UM said, working with enough weight to put you in the 6-12 rep ange should work well. Also see the sticky on a basic collection of routines.
Tim

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:34 am

You have to remember that weight training is progressive. You'll only keep making gains as long as you continue adding reps, sets and resistance, so when you reach a level of development you're happy with, all you need to do is stop increasing these variables. Then you'll go from building to maintaining.

kal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kal » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:44 am

well what i do is work out 4 days a week from sat tell wed and mon i just do cardio and abs work out.

sat i do chest and triceps, sun back and biceps, mon as said  cardio and abs, tue shoulders and wed legs, then Thu and Fri are my off days but sometimes i go do some cardio. that's my work out

i've already gained some muscle but not that big know i need to shape it up.

sorry but i didn't understand what u mean about  1-4, 4-8, 8-16, 15-25.

i'm doing cardio for burning fat, i'm controlling my food and doing wight lifting so should i continue on what i'm doing same sets and reps or there is something else ?!
i know working out will take sometime to get the result i can wait.  

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:11 pm

By 1-4 he means performing 1-4 reps per working set (with enough weight to make this rep range difficult). Likewise 4-8 means 4-8 reps, 8-16 means 8-16 reps and 15-25 reps means 15-25 reps (with weights adjusted accordingly). Of course these are just general guidelines.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:55 pm

kal wrote:well what i do is work out 4 days a week from sat tell wed and mon i just do cardio and abs work out.

sat i do chest and triceps, sun back and biceps, mon as said cardio and abs, tue shoulders and wed legs, then Thu and Fri are my off days but sometimes i go do some cardio. that's my work out
I'm not a believer in beginners doing split routines. Invariably they overwork the upper body and underwork the lower body.

Try doing this routine instead. Or select one from TimD's list.

kal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kal » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:34 am

i'm not a beginner i've been training for a quit long time, ok if doing a 8-16 or 15-25 reps with a medium weight not heavy not light is ok for toning and burning fat ?!! is that what u mean by (with weights adjusted accordingly).

for toning can i do it with a medium weight regular 3 sets and 10 reps or do i need to do more ?!!

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:23 am

The main principle for building strength and size is "overload". Unless you continually overload your muscles you will not progress. "weights adjusted accordingly" means using as much weight as you can while completing the desired number of reps with good form. Once you complete the maximum number of reps in your range, increase the weight next time.

Any more than 20 reps would require a weight so light that you can not overload the muscles so there is no carryover to strength training. 10 reps seems to be the best range for most people for size while getting some strength and endurance benefits. Not everyone is the same and the best rep ranges vary between body parts for some people . The best strategy is to work all ranges arranged in a cycle. The body adapts quickly to rep ranges so you need to mix it up. Everyone had different definitions of what high, med, low reps mean so don't get caught up in the numbers.

Remember that "toning" is the same as training for size only not as long, so you should adopt similar strategies.

Stu

TradelessJack
n00b
n00b

again

Post by TradelessJack » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:56 am

kal wrote:i'm not a beginner i've been training for a quit long time, ok if doing a 8-16 or 15-25 reps with a medium weight not heavy not light is ok for toning and burning fat ?!! is that what u mean by (with weights adjusted accordingly).

for toning can i do it with a medium weight regular 3 sets and 10 reps or do i need to do more ?!!
“Weights adjusted accordingly,” means whatever weight is the heaviest weight you can do in that rep range. For instance, if you fail on your 11th rep of 125, that is your weight for the 8-16 range. If you want to lift in the 5-8 range, try 130 or 135 and see how many you can do. If you want to lift in 15-25 (I really wouldn't go any higher than 20), reduce the weight. If you can do more reps, don't just stop in order to stay in a certain rep range, lift until you don't think you could do another rep, then increase the weight in order bring the reps back down to the range in which you want to work.

There is not a rep range for toning, there is only gaining muscle. If you gain muscle without gaining weight, the muscle you gained will have replaced fat. Less fat means that you look more toned. Most of your muscle gain will come in the mid ranges (10-16ish, it varies a little from person to person) I gave you those rep ranges just as a ballpark figure. There are not black lines dividing exactly where you build strength vs. mass vs. endurance. Basically you will make most of your muscle gains around 10-12 reps with appropriate weight, and if you don't eat in a way that allows you to gain weight, the muscle you gain will have replaced fat; hence, toning.

You can't however, just pick the 10-16 rep range and stick with it. If you are bench-pressing 135 for 3 sets of 10, for a few weeks your body will add muscle to adapt for doing 3 sets of ten with 135 lbs. Once it has adapted, it will stay the same. If you want to continue to make gains, you will have to work in other rep ranges for a while to build strength and endurance. After that, you can go back to doing reps of 10 or 12, but this time you having developed more strength and endurance, maybe you will be able to do 4 sets of 11 @ 145 lbs. Your body will again be forced to add muscle in order to adapt to the extra set and extra 10 lbs, and you will replace fat with muscle (tone, if you like) some more.

Are you catching my drift here man?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:06 pm

kal wrote:i'm not a beginner i've been training for a quit long time
Sorry - I thought that someone who is unfamiliar with rep notation is a newbie. I see from re-reading your post you've been lifting on and off for a while. My mistake.

We know that you do four weight workouts per week using a four way split, but we don't know the exercises that you do or the number of sets/reps. We also don't know anything about your diet. It's hard to determine how to improve your program - and give you better results - with such a dearth of info.

PS - a separate day for shoulder workouts is overkill. See the following threads for more info:

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4023
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4018

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:12 pm

The word 'toned' is such a generic term that I hate when people use it because it can imply a number of different things since everyone has their own definition of what 'toned' means. When I think of 'toned' I think of 99.9% of the population who have the ability to accomplish daily tasks (walking, picking up objects, walking up stairs, etc.). I consider weightlifting getting a 'build' or 'built', for you I wouldn't worry about getting bulky because of the weight you are currently at I don't think you have the genetics to put on serious bulk. Aim for a much lower repetition range, like Ironman said its useless going high with it. In general I wouldn't recommend going over the 15+ rep range because all that is another cardio workout that isn't necassary since you've already dedicated 3 days to it already. Since you are a soccer player I'd recommend doing walking lunges if you havn't added that already. Do it with weight that will bring you to failure after taking 20 steps or even less. Strech afterwards to prevent injury and to improve/sustain flexibility.