Front squat problem

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Front squat problem

Post by Wouter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:21 am

Hello, I've got quite a problem when doing front squats: when I put the bar on my shoulders, it inflicts pain where they push. I also haven't got the wrist mobility to hold the bar like http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... Squat.html.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 am

JV Askem to the rescue!

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/FS.htm

Lots of Front Squat variations for use folks who can't quite get our arms into position.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am

I have the same problem. If I hold the bar, I can't get my elbows up high enough and end up holding the bar in place with pure arm strength. If I hold the bar on my fingertips or do the hands free version, the bar presses on my throat. This also prevents me from being able to clean properly. The best I can manage is a pure power clean where I recieve the bar in a fully upright standing position, which is really rough on my wrists with heavier weights.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:32 am

Try this. http://stronglifts.com/5-ways-to-improv ... technique/

There are some good wrist stretching exercises.

Stu

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:47 am

What about just doing it with arms crossed over the bar?

Other than the carry over to cleans, I don't understand what could be bad about the arms crossed version.....?

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16 am

It's not bad unless you want to transition from a clean or to a press.

Stu

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:39 am

"Other than the carry over to cleans, I don't understand what could be bad about the arms crossed version.....?" - KPj

These can hurt like hell with a heavy barbell, but other than the discomfort I don't see any problem with them.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am

PS.) Heavy Push Presses are also a little uncomfortable for my wrists, but not nearly as bad as Power Cleans. Also, I've noticed that while doing Push Presses and Military Presses I can only touch the bar to my upper chest while using relatively heavy weight. With lighter weights the bar just hovers an inch or two over my collarbones.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'll incorporate the front squat in tonight's training.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:18 am

Just keep at it with the front squats, regardless of grip. Front squats are my main quad exercise just now, I do them alot using lot's of varieties - wide and close stance, deep squats, squat to box etc. Some times i do lunges with the front squat grip as well. I use the arms crossed version as I also don't have the flexibilty in my wrists.

I reckon it took me atleast 3-4 weeks for this exercise to feel natural, which is a lot longer than most new exercises, but it's been worth it.

KPj

Hoister

Post by Hoister » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:49 am

When i back squat, i am typically a good morning squatter.

Front squats however, force me to keep my torso in a more vertical position - otherwise i fall over, drop the bar etc. So i find it to be one of those exercizes on my "least" favorite list, but most "important" list as well.

Took me forever to get used to doing them.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 am

Supposedly Low-bar Powerlifting Squats involve more forward lean than High-bar Olympic Squats, however I've found the opposite to be true. For me, it's actually much easier to stay upright in the low-bar position.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:47 am

The difference is really night and day. When I used to squat high-bar, squating was awkward and uncomfortable. I had to constantly resist the tendancy to bow forward on the way up and shift onto the balls of my feet. However, when I started squatting low-bar things just clicked. I used to hate squats, but now they're probably my favorite exercise.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Front squat problem

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 am

Wouter wrote:Hello, I've got quite a problem when doing front squats: when I put the bar on my shoulders, it inflicts pain where they push. I also haven't got the wrist mobility to hold the bar like http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... Squat.html.
Wouter,

Here is a solution to you wrist flexibilty. [http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1276773]

Notice how the lifter us using wrist straps for the front squat in this article. This works well for those with wrist flexibility.

Kenny Croxdale