Goodmorning technique

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

stuward

Goodmorning technique

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:32 am

Tim

Who keeps track of the exercises on this site? The Dr. Squat forum has a criticism for the Goodmorning exercise on this site:

http://drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23762#23762

Stu

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:45 am

That would be James, the site owner, that puts the demo's together. Jeff is the overall business Mgr, but I don't think he has anything to do with it. Ironman and I are affiliated with the discussion boards only.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:13 am

Will James see this or does it need to go through a different route?

The technique is bad, it does need to be corrected.

Stu

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 am

I know he reads through it, just not sure how often anymore. He took on other responsibilities about a year and a half ago (one of the reasons why IM and I moderate and admin). OR, you could just go to the Memberlist, up top, and it has his PM and e-mail avail. He is number 1 on lthe list, exrx.net
Tim

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:02 am

Stu,
You may want to keep in mind that in many places on this site, they claim rounded back lifting is something the body can adapt to and does not place too much stress on the back. This may be the reason the technique is presented this way.

Also, the pics on t-nation seem to be geared toward building the squat. They even tell you to use a collar grip when this has no bearing on the good morning or the squat and more to do with powerlifters having messed up shoulders and needing the wide grip.

I am not saying either technique is wrong but the drsquat forum is definitely slanted toward powerlifting.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 am

Their forum I find a little interesting. It's not organized and its all meathead talk where you don't accually learn anything. Lots of garbage goes through there (ex. viagara), its basically an example of a forum I was trying to avoid.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:20 am

There are a few different variations of the Good Morning just like the Straight-leg/Stiff-knee/Romanian Deadlift. Most Powerlifters seem to prefer the Stiff-knee Version (which resembles a bad squat), partly because you can use a lot more weight that way.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:36 am

There is a bent knee version on the site although it is difficult to tell if the lower back rounds or not, deffinitly no specific mention of it - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ere ... rning.html

The exercises are deffinitly 'old school'. Maybe it does need updated as more and more research cites lack of hip mobility as the primary cause of lower back pain and when your hips don't move, your lower back does i.e. flexion / rounding.

(I hate saying "research says this, research says that" because I don't read the actual studies (or very rarely do), just articles that reference them...)

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:53 am

I think this bent-knee version is what they were looking for on Dr. Squat. It does say to keep the back straight. The bent knee version is listed as a lower back exercise while the other is listed as a hamstring exercise.

Irommaiden, they've been having a lot of problems with spam on that site and I have no idea why. They use the same software that this site uses and there's no problem here.

Stu
Last edited by stuward on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

Stu, you can thank Ironman for the no spam. We were having one heck of a bad time with it last winter. We were having to manually delete all the spam, and had to do away with auto registration to get the BOTS off. Then IM installed some security software, seems to have done the trick.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:01 pm

I installed a MOD on this site that has completely killed the spam. There has not been 1 single spam in several months since I installed it. I would be willing to help them. They would have to trust me an awful lot though. It would involve FTP access as well as access to the database. Or I could just point them in the right direction if they are comfortable with editing files and adding tables to the database.

As for the goodmorning, they just have the names wrong here. The standard GM is the bent leg one. The other is actually called a straight leg GM and is loaded much lighter. It isn't bad form, it is a completely different exercise. In fact there are many GM variations.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm

I don't know if this is the exact one, but it is pretty much the same.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0780d87b0b

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm not sure if Dr. Squat would be able to do that. He can squat 1000lbs but not even his superman strength would be able to stop spam.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:50 am

Dr. Squats not the administrator. I'll send that link in a PM to the admin.

Thanks

aman
Novice
Novice

Post by aman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:00 am

i posted that query on Doc' site ..i had some doubt regarding the leg movements during the goodmornings.

Stuward..i appreciate that u have raised the concern here.. many poeple refers to the demo posted on exrx site.. i feel the demo has to be well audited by experts .

Thanks