Brain Washing--"The Perfect Push Up."

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Brain Washing--"The Perfect Push Up."

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:32 am

I sell fitness equipment. A lot of people have seen the TV ad for "The Perfect Push Up" http://www.perfectpushup.com/ and come in looking for it.

"The Perfect Push Up" is one of the best examples of the power of advertising, also know as brain washing.

While it has it place in trainng, you can duplicate the same movement performing the dumbbell bench press. After all a bench press is just an upside down push up.

The beauty of peforming the same movement on a bench press with dumbbells is that you can incresase your resistance.

The "Arnold Press" (Aronold Schwarzenegger) with dumbbells, in which your ratate you hand from supinated to pronated during the movement (same movement as the perfect push up), has been around forever.

I am constantly amazed at the how gullible people are. "Tell them what they want to hear"...and you get the money.

People complain about shyster sales people. However, those shysters exhist because people contue to support them...and quite well.

"Buyer beware."

Kenny Croxdale
Last edited by Kenny Croxdale on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 am

Ok I do agree with you but there is a benefit to owning pushup handles.

1). Those will allow you to get more depth on pushups, which is what I use my handles for (I don't have that model of them).

2). It would help with strengthen your back/abs/tris/chest by having to hold yourself in a straight position while you do the pushups and allow you to keep doing them.

3). If you don't have time to hit a gym and do a workout there its better than not doing it at all.

But it's a load of $$$$$hit that people will ever look like that by doing pushups. It will make you stronger, but not like that, that ad on their website reminded me of watching a bowflex commercial. There only credentials for the handles was a "Navy SEAL Platoon Commander", which means theres no science to back there claims. If anyone is active in the military, let me know if they issue you perfect pushups with along with your clothes so you can become jacked and unstoppable on the battlfield.

tyler

Post by tyler » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:42 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:Ok I do agree with you but there is a benefit to owning pushup handles.

1). Those will allow you to get more depth on pushups, which is what I use my handles for (I don't have that model of them).

2). It would help with strengthen your back/abs/tris/chest by having to hold yourself in a straight position while you do the pushups and allow you to keep doing them.

3). If you don't have time to hit a gym and do a workout there its better than not doing it at all.

But it's a load of $$$$$hit that people will ever look like that by doing pushups. It will make you stronger, but not like that, that ad on their website reminded me of watching a bowflex commercial. There only credentials for the handles was a "Navy SEAL Platoon Commander", which means theres no science to back there claims. If anyone is active in the military, let me know if they issue you perfect pushups with along with your clothes so you can become jacked and unstoppable on the battlfield.
The army knows that pushups won't build up massive bulk, that's why they make you be able to a minimum when i was in of 42 in two minutes...its not to test strength, it was to test muscular endurance. That's why the military issues rifles and pistols and bayonets...so you don't have to kill people barehanded. Of course...being in the army, i HATE pushups with a passion, and don't understand why we didn't test with dips instead...they are much more practical as far as bodyweight goes.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:08 pm

What I'm saying is that the claims by this manufacturer is that you will become stronger and get youself and amazing build. In simple terms, when people think of a military leader they think of a big strong guy who must know what he's talking about. Ignorance is bliss....

That was a joke with the military, I related it to that because of who the original designer was. They probably wouldn't use dips because of the amount of time it would take to set up a functional dip station and most likely for simplicity purposes.

YeahBuddy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by YeahBuddy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Wait, you are saying that fitness equipment companies exaggerate the benefits of using their equipment and people don't really need the equipment to get in shape? What a revolutionary idea. The fitness business is just that, a business. There's always been scams like this.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:05 pm

We must have been transported to a parallel dimension or something. I agree with Kenny 100%.

It'd be the perfect pushup if it came with a robot that puts weight plates on your back. Other than that, you have to be weak, fat or both to get anything out of a pushup. Like it was pointed out, the army requires you to do 42 in two minutes at a minimum. That's because they are WAY to easy.

People should save all the money they are planning to spend on silly gadgets and buy a real weight set or a gym membership.

Tonight, I'll have to see how many pushups I can do in just 1 minute. I'm going to guess 45.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:55 pm

Navy Seal Platoon Commander? Do Navy Seals even deploy in platoon strength? I though they only went out in smaller teams.

As for the Army using pushups instead of dips I can think of two reasons.
1) Pushups don't require parallel bars.
2) There are probably a lot of soldiers (male and female) who can't do one good dip.

Also, from what I'm told the standard Army pushup only involves a partial ROM. You only have to bend your elbows 90-degrees and you don't have to touch your chest. Pretty lame.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Matt Z wrote:Navy Seal Platoon Commander? Do Navy Seals even deploy in platoon strength? I though they only went out in smaller teams.
They may not fight in platoon strength, but I'll bet they deploy in platoon strength. It's certainly part of their structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Navy_ ... _Structure

16 man platoons are part of their organization structure.

Anyway, I like pushups, and I've got no problems with pushup handles. These rotating ones are pretty gimmicky, though. Someone posted them on the crossfit forums a while back, and no one could really come up with a good reason for the rotation. It's just a waste of money. Getting more ROM from pushup handles or being able to do them with straight wrists (and not on your knuckles) is one thing, that extra rotation just doesn't seem useful.

Peter

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 pm

um, can you say swiss ball? Just say it works on your core and you have gold.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 am

Swiss balls are excellent for your core. However, their proper use is often misunderstood.

First thing you do is fill it up with sand, small rocks, etc. instead of air, which is entirely too light. Then repeatedly clean it, deadlift it, or squat with it. :D

They also make nice, sturdy beachballs, and are much more common at yardsales.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:55 am

I almost got 43. I almost made it all the way up, but then collapsed, at 58 seconds. I got the first 30 in 31 or 32 seconds, and then started slowing down. I only got 12 more good ones after that. I am not an endurance guy at all. I NEVER do more than 12 reps of anything ever. I am also the weak bodybuilder stereo-type. I also weight around 215. So, yea, pushups don't do much of anything. I did get a wicked pump though.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:24 am

Whilst I agree with everything regarding the 'perfect pushup', I can't help but chime in and defend the push up.

If your looking to get massive, or looking to get really strong, then yes, the push up is a waste of time, kind of. That's assuming that you already have half decent strength and size - if you can't do 20-30 push ups perfectly, I don't think you should be adding any resistance at all.

As far as the push up for testing purposes - it's a great way to test whether someone is in good condition or not. I believe (actually, know) alot of rehab experts use it as one of their assessments. Not to test pec strength, but to look at scapulae function and general total body stability. If you look at an untrained OR unhealthy person do push ups, they don't just fail. The whole body shape changes into a scared cat position, back gets hunched up and hips sags because their stabilisers shut down.

As for the dips as a test, I kind of accept that, but if your cursed with a scewy type III acromion joint, then your at a serious dissadvantage when performing dips - your shoulders will scream at you.

Push ups are also a great rehab exercise, which I know from experience. As well as 'getting you healthy', push ups also help to 'keep you healthy', due to the stability required, particularly in your upper back and rotator cuff. Push ups are a good way to balance open and closed chain movements aswell.

In terms of strength, any powerlifter SHOULD understand the importance of stability, but particularly upper back and shoulder stability. To bench big weights, you need super stability in your upper back. So whilst the push up may not appear to directly benefit strength gains, it deffinitly helps and has it's place.

There's loads of ways to progress with push ups as well. Different grips, unstable surface (stability balls, medicine balls), feel elevated, bands, chains, blast straps, one arm push ups. Again i'm not saying push ups alone will add loads of mass or loads of strenght. I'm saying they help in an indirect manner - they will support your main goal, be it size or strength (or health) and are far from useless.

*takes deep breath. Feel better now :-)

Just thought I would stir it up a bit

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:28 am

as for the army testing.... Does the army still not use standard sit ups as well???? enough said, lol. I can see how hip flexor strength will help in combat ;-)

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:34 am

KPj wrote:as for the army testing.... Does the army still not use standard sit ups as well???? enough said, lol. I can see how hip flexor strength will help in combat ;-)

KPj
In Canada the "Canadian Forces" standard is pushups, situps, hand grip and a shuttle run. That's the minimum standard. The Army has rejected it as too easy and not related to basic combat functions.

The current standard for everyone in the Land Force, including attached Navy and AirForce and reservists is:
Weightload march: 13 Km with 24.5 Kg of equipment in 2hrs, 26 min, 20 sec.
Casualty Evacuation: Carry another soldier of your weight with weapons, webbing and helmets 100m in 60 secs.
Trench Dig, move .486 cubic meters (15" x 6'x2') from on trench box to another with a shovel in 6 minutes.

These are done in sequence with 10 minute break between tasks.

Again that's the minimum standard for everyone, regardless of age or gender. The army recommends Crossfit as a way to stay in better condition than the minimum.

Stu

tyler

Post by tyler » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 am

When I was in the U.S. Army...which I've only been out like 3 years...it was around 42 pushups, 55 situps, and a 2 mile run in typically around 15 mins (for the minimum). I am a little jaded on pushups...but in all seriousness, the Marines do push ups and pull up tests. The army does not test strength...just endurance. Of course, some people might argue pull ups are an endurance test...but I think you'd have to be able to do at least 20 before making that arguement.