Brain Washing--"The Perfect Push Up."

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:00 am

So how do you deal with it if a customer shows an interest in a supplement that you don't personally feel is worthwhile or is over priced? Talk them out of it? Try to redirect them to a product that you think is better?
I try to redirect towards better products, not ones that will get me extra commision, that would be a big Nono trying to combat them and talk them out of buying a product. An example with the acai would be I'll show them a product that has fiber, will aid in digestion, <10,000 ORAC value, aids with immunity. If looking for the acai cleansing effects then lead towards a cleanser that will hit circulatory, kidneys, liver, digestive, pre & probiotic.

Nope, hasn't worked yet since these people are just completely enveloped in this Acai berry. Other people who havn't been brainwashed by Opera are a little easier to work with. I honestly don't get why people listen to Opera, shes a talk show host with weight issues, that's it.

Then there is the crowd of people who think they are smarter than me and won't give me the time of day, they are the ones who buy Nitrotech and Muscle Milk.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 am

Do you still actually get alot of people in to buy products? I would find it hard to go there because of how marked up everything is.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:Then there is the crowd of people who think they are smarter than me and won't give me the time of day, they are the ones who buy Nitrotech and Muscle Milk.
Hey, I buy Muscle Milk.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:04 pm

There are better and cheaper products than muscle milk. They IMO are no better than muscletech.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

I bought two jugs of ON Protein for 35$ each. Thats web prices. Otherwise I wouldn't buy anything from them. Even their fish caps are overpriced.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:There are better and cheaper products than muscle milk. They IMO are no better than muscletech.
MuscleTech is cheaper than Muscle Milk?

I use Muscle Milk as well. It tastes good, comes in a wide variety of flavors, and has a full complement of vitamins along with casein and whey protein. It also has a good lipid profile. It even has soluble fiber now. What more could you want in a meal replacement?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Tastes great to me too, but its alot of the same marketing that MT does. If you can get it for 20$ its a deal, otherwise its kind of overpriced. Most I spend is 7$ per pound for whey.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Do you still actually get alot of people in to buy products? I would find it hard to go there because of how marked up everything is.
I'm very good at selling product to people. 1/2 of it is just selling yourself.
I bought two jugs of ON Protein for 35$ each. Thats web prices. Otherwise I wouldn't buy anything from them. Even their fish caps are overpriced.
ON has very good protein. Primarily isolate and has added aminogens.
MuscleTech is cheaper than Muscle Milk?
I never said that? Referring to their marketing. Heres what's on the front of a Muscle Milk container:
Stimulates muscle synthesis Really? Any protein source on the planet that absorbs into the blood stream does that.
Designer fats promote leaness Must be referring to the mtcs and other fat inside the protein, nothing special
Triggers new growth Again all protein that absorbs does that
Increase oxegen delivery Lactoferrin, found in whey protein, again nothing special.
Boost nitrogen balance Another blatently obvious claim, all protein that absorbs does this.
I use Muscle Milk as well. It tastes good, comes in a wide variety of flavors, and has a full complement of vitamins along with casein and whey protein. It also has a good lipid profile. It even has soluble fiber now. What more could you want in a meal replacement?
I don't recall it ever being marketed as a meal replacement. Sure use it as a meal replacement. If you want it to be a very good mrp then up the fiber and add cla. What exactly is Muscle Milk marketed for? People trying to bulk, but thats not possible since the carb/calorie content is too low. In stores it retails for $90 for 5 lb container, no thanks. I still wouldn't pay $48 + shipping a price which you can find on the net.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:23 pm

ON Chocolate Milk flavor is the best. Mixes with water perfectly and tastes like chocolate milk.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Ok, the pushup COULD be a good exercise. But only if someone can put 3 or 4 plates on my back. I used to do pushups with my feet up 3 feet or so with weight strapped to my back. When I got up towards 2 plates, it just got to be to much of a pain in the ass.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:I use Muscle Milk as well. It tastes good, comes in a wide variety of flavors, and has a full complement of vitamins along with casein and whey protein. It also has a good lipid profile. It even has soluble fiber now. What more could you want in a meal replacement?
That's pretty much why I get it. Mixes up easy too, which is important because I just mix it, shake it, and drink it at the gym.

I get the 5# tubs online, on sale, when I'm ordering enough for free shipping. I'm sure the marketing stuff has issues, but I don't buy it for the front of the package but what's in it.

But whatever, it's working for me, but not everyone likes that. I just don't see why I'm such a bad guy because I buy Muscle Milk and I don't want the GNC salesmen helping me. I already know what I want, help the guy that doesn't. This is why I shop on the web and ask here if I have questions.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Ironman wrote:Ok, the pushup COULD be a good exercise. But only if someone can put 3 or 4 plates on my back. I used to do pushups with my feet up 3 feet or so with weight strapped to my back. When I got up towards 2 plates, it just got to be to much of a pain in the ass.
I don't think plates are that useful for loading it. The way I see people load it at my gym are:

- bands
- chains (still needs a partner, but easier to load)
- weighted vests (10-15#, 50#, or multiple vests)

This may be combined with:
- blast straps (so you have to stabilize yourself, not just push off the floor)
- medicine balls (one or two hands on it).
- feet up on a box or bench (varying height)
- clapping pushups
- pushup hands or off hex DBs
- extra depth (between two lifted racks for extra ROM)
- off barbells (1" barbells or 2" fat bars)

They're never done as a max-effort exercise that I've seen, but they make good repetition work. You just have to make them harder...but I think plates are a sub-optimal solution.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:33 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote: What exactly is Muscle Milk marketed for? People trying to bulk, but thats not possible since the carb/calorie content is too low.

If Muscle Milk is being marketed as a bulking powder, why did Cytosport reformulate it recently with less fat (12 now vs 18 before), fewer calories (300 now vs 360 before) and fiber?

Muscle Milk was never intended to be used by people trying to bulk up. Quite the opposite - it is formulated to prevent fat storage. Whether it does or not can be resolved by scientific studies. All I know is that the stuff tastes great - unlike 90% of its competition. And since either Vitamin Shoppe or GNC runs frequent sales of Muscle Milk, I rarely pay more than 50% of the list price. To me, that's a bargain.

I don't consider myself as having been duped by marketing hype when I buy Muscle Milk. If the product didn't taste good - or was proved to be fraudulent - I wouldn't drink it.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 pm

But whatever, it's working for me, but not everyone likes that. I just don't see why I'm such a bad guy because I buy Muscle Milk and I don't want the GNC salesmen helping me. I already know what I want, help the guy that doesn't. This is why I shop on the web and ask here if I have questions.
You are definitely not a bad guy, it depends on the mentality of the person whose buying. Some guys buy it for the macro profile of the product and others buy it because it says muscle milk on the container and because they see a bodybuilder being advertised with it. I should have clarified that but thats fine at least it started an interesting discussion.
If Muscle Milk is being marketed as a bulking powder, why did Cytosport reformulate it recently with less fat (12 now vs 18 before), fewer calories (300 now vs 360 before) and fiber?
I said that it isn't possible that they can advertise it as a bulking agent, so I'm not dissagreeing with you in that sense.
I don't consider myself as having been duped by marketing hype when I buy Muscle Milk - if the product didn't taste good, I wouldn't drink it.
Taste is half of it, you're also buying it for its profile, you like what you see as an mrp.
Vitamin Shoppe or GNC runs frequent sales of Muscle Milk
Yep right now if you spend more than $75 dollars on cytosport products you get a free monster milk t-shirt!
I rarely pay more than 50% of the list price. To me, that's a bargain.
To everybody their own.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote: I said that it isn't possible that they can advertise it as a bulking agent
They never did:
Muscle Milk®: Nature’s Ultimate Lean Muscle Formula
Leading scientists assessing the true role of fats in increasing lean muscle growth have shown all fats are not created equal. The type of fat determines whether you use it for muscle energy or store it as body fat! The LeanLipids™ used in Muscle Milk® promote fat loss three ways:

* Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), the predigested “fast burning fats,” are more likely burned for muscle energy and heat than stored as fat. 20% of Muscle Milk lipids are MCTs.
* Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids are also less likely to be stored as fat. Special enzyme engineering makes these lipids even more functional, promoting anti-inflammatory effects and enhanced mineral retention.
* Recent research reveals calories with engineered lipids taken before and during workouts promote leanness. It is thought that these calories are used for workout energy, with less deposited as fat.

So, while Muscle Milk may contain slightly more fat than low-fat high-carb products, our Lean Lipids™ are designed to help you get leaner.
Bulking up and leaning out are two separate goals. It's clear which goal CytoSport intended Muscle Milk for - and it isn't bulking.