Brain Washing--"The Perfect Push Up."

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Why do you keep saying that? I'm not disputing what you are saying in any way.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:29 am

An interesting article i found regarding, shoulder pain/thoracic spine/scapulae/rotatorcuff

Pushups are the #1 exercise in the article.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... and_shrugs

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:37 am

Good Link :smile:

That's what sets push ups apart from Benching i.e. a push up is not just an upside down bench press. The core and scapulae stability benefits make it worthwhile to keep doing push ups - by 'keep doing them' I mean, making them harder. Peters(pdellorto) post was great on the options open for it. I also agree that stacking weight discs on yourself is not an ideal solution, and a real pain in the a$$.

Bands are great thing to have anyway as there are many uses for them. It's very easy/convenient to wrap a band around you and do a push up as normal. And 'real bands' such as ironwoody or jumpstretch offer a lot of resistance.

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

I'd have to be wrapped in more chains than Jacob Marley for that to do anything for me.

By the time I got done putting on all that gear I could have finished my workout.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Ironman wrote:I'd have to be wrapped in more chains than Jacob Marley for that to do anything for me.

By the time I got done putting on all that gear I could have finished my workout.
you could just get a fat guy to sit on your back :lol:

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Ironman wrote:I'd have to be wrapped in more chains than Jacob Marley for that to do anything for me.

Hey, i don't have chains for the same reason. I carry most things into the gym- actually renowned for all the crap I bring in with me. But all those chains are a step too far. Although the new manager trains box squats etc, likes the west side methods, and we've been talking about chipping into buy some and just keep them in the gym (not like anyone else will use them).

Bands are the business though, and more brutal than chains. I only ever do these far into the workout, but my thickest band makes a set of 10 VERY difficult for me. Not sure what i would be like when fresh, and that's not the thickest band you get. I've tried it with the thickest one, plus a thin one wrapped around me, and barely managed a rep.

I don't want to sound like i'm begging you to try it or anything. But if your ever around somewhere that sells propper bands or are tempted for something different then you should deffinitly pick up some.

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:28 am

So do you put it over your shoulder and stick the other end under your hand using two of them. Or is it one big band you wrap around yourself? Actually I was thinking bands might be an idea if I had to travel somewhere without a gym. They could provide decent resistance is they are fairly thick.

They would have to be some very thick bands to limit me to 10.

A fat guy would do the trick. Depending on how heavy he is it might even be too much. If the guy weighed 250 I'd be lucky to do 1. But having a training partner sit on your back would work. It would be kind of gay though. But not as gay as donkey calf raises. You could always have your ol' lady sit on your back. I remember when I went on a cruise, their dumbbells only went up to 80's. So I had her stand over me and push down on them while I lifted.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 am

Ironman wrote:So do you put it over your shoulder and stick the other end under your hand using two of them. Or is it one big band you wrap around yourself? Actually I was thinking bands might be an idea if I had to travel somewhere without a gym. They could provide decent resistance is they are fairly thick.

They would have to be some very thick bands to limit me to 10.
Yes, one band. You loop each end round each hand, and put it behind your back, and just do a push up. Here's a video - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RmN6DyZwk

You can get some very thick bands. It's just another tool for the tool box. Jumpstretch are known as the best but i've got 'Ironwoody' bands, which are similar (can't get jumpstretch in UK) heavy duty bands, not like you're used to seeing in gyms or the one's that physio's give out. I've not even got the thickest available, I think i've got the second thickest, though, and if I remember correctly, Jumpstretch have thicker bands than ironwoody.

You can normally get a deal on a set of 3, or whatever. Which is handy because if the thickest you get does happen to be too light, then you can just add another one. But if you're not into things like 'x-band walks', 'band pull aparts' and all the other corrective-type things you can do, then your as well just buying one thick band.

Also, you can do the same thing for 'band resisted DB bench press'- then you shouldn't need to get anyone to push the DB's when you're in a crap gym!

Lifting against bands is a pretty good change up, too, but then you need to buy sets and it becomes pretty expensive (although you also have loads of options with pairs). Also, they're long lasting - it's highly unlikely you'll snap them (i've never heard of it).

A litte aside - One of the girls at reception in my gym calls me "elastic band boy". Flattering, eh? :roll:

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:26 am

EBB! I like it.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 pm

pdellorto wrote:
Skull_Crusher wrote:I know this is over a year old but i wanted to chime in on how great this product actually is.
How do they compare to pushups off rings or blast straps?

Ring pushups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIfBrA6HMM
(watch that one through, it shows a progression)

Blast strap pushups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWq1jMq0xI

You can do those from suspended chains or ropes, too, but it's way eaiser with handles (even the rotating ones on the blast straps).
Ive never tried either so i couldnt give an opinion. Im sure its very possible those work even better, but then again thats not something i'd have in my house. For someone who works out at home, the PP is great.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Ironman wrote:It's a lot like the perfect barrel-fish shooter, The perfect candy stealer, works on any infant. The log klutz, a perfect fall every time. Perfect pie is good. or the perfect cakewalk. Perfectly silly I think.

Even if pushups are challenging for you, I don't see why you need this. Now the perfect pullup I ca understand. That's just a pullup bar you can mount on something.
My left shoulder vehemently disagrees :wink: I cant stress enough the difference this thing has made in such a short period of time. I am now able to move my arm in positions previously impossible before because i would hurt myself. Over the years ive done dumbell benches, PUSHUPS, various rotator exercises....and nothing had the impact this thing did after two damn weeks. Honestly i bought the thing initially just because i had heard good things so figured what the hell, i never thought it would actually fix my shoulder.
Last edited by Skull_Crusher on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:36 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:ive tried it, didn't like it. I'll stick with my pushup handles and spend my cash on something more worthwhile.
Now what kind of effort did you actually put in? Honestly? I'd bet everything you saw a pair somewhere, said aloud "let me see these stupid things"...did a few reps, and said they suck. Thats what my instincts say! lol

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Skull_Crusher wrote:
pdellorto wrote:
How do they compare to pushups off rings or blast straps?[/quote="pdellorto"]

Ive never tried either so i couldnt give an opinion. Im sure its very possible those work even better, but then again thats not something i'd have in my house. For someone who works out at home, the PP is great.
Okay, thanks, that's too bad we don't have some overlapping experience to compare them. If I get a chance to try the PP I will do so. If I was buying, I'd buy blast straps because I'm familiar with them and know I can use them for other things.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:35 am

I saw something new at Walmart yesterday. It's called the Perfect Pushup Counter, and it's meant to be used with the Perfect Pushup. Seems pretty pointless to me, but I'm sure someone will buy it.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:37 am

The only advantage I can see to the Perfect Pushup Counter is that it forces people to use a full ROM.