Brain Washing--"The Perfect Push Up."

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 am

Of course most people don't go anywhere near a full ROM on pushups, so maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:02 am

Skull_Crusher wrote:Now what kind of effort did you actually put in? Honestly? I'd bet everything you saw a pair somewhere, said aloud "let me see these stupid things"...did a few reps, and said they suck. Thats what my instincts say! lol
I see them every single day I go to work, staring at me...almost seems like their talking to me, screaming at times. It can get pretty scary.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Matt Z wrote:I saw something new at Walmart yesterday. It's called the Perfect Pushup Counter, and it's meant to be used with the Perfect Pushup. Seems pretty pointless to me, but I'm sure someone will buy it.
I wouldnt buy that myself, but i could see the use in it. Theres a greater range of motion to the PP than a standard push up....so i could see where people might be inconsistent with how low theyre going especially near the end of sets. Its not like the standard where you can just touch the floor.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

pdellorto wrote:
Skull_Crusher wrote:
pdellorto wrote:
How do they compare to pushups off rings or blast straps?[/quote="pdellorto"]

Ive never tried either so i couldnt give an opinion. Im sure its very possible those work even better, but then again thats not something i'd have in my house. For someone who works out at home, the PP is great.
Okay, thanks, that's too bad we don't have some overlapping experience to compare them. If I get a chance to try the PP I will do so. If I was buying, I'd buy blast straps because I'm familiar with them and know I can use them for other things.
For me personally with my existing shoulder issues those might make me a little bit nervous ...plus i think the rotating has alot to do with why theyre working so well so for me. Ive actually stopped all my benching and shoulder exercises altogether for the time being....after another month or so im very curious to see how the increased shoulder stability effects my lifts when i return to them. I wont be surprised if im lifting more than where i left off.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:19 am

Skull_Crusher wrote: My left shoulder vehemently disagrees :wink: I cant stress enough the difference this thing has made in such a short period of time. I am now able to move my arm in positions previously impossible before because i would hurt myself. Over the years ive done dumbell benches, PUSHUPS, various rotator exercises....and nothing had the impact this thing did after two damn weeks. Honestly i bought the thing initially just because i had heard good things so figured what the hell, i never thought it would actually fix my shoulder.
I'm all for push ups for shoulder health - it's why I always bang on about them when the opportunity comes up. They're completely underrated in my opinion. Push ups were a big part of my own shoulder rehab. Infact, I started on push up holds, holding it from the top position, because the shoulder couldn't handle anything else, then gradually moved further to the ground until I was holding at the bottom position, then doing actual push ups, lot'sof variations. They're still always in my programs, and I always keep them challenging.

But what I think you need to consider is,

Are actual PUSHUPS what made your shoulder feel better, or was it this perfect push up thing?

KPj

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:18 pm

KPj wrote:
Skull_Crusher wrote:
I'm all for push ups for shoulder health - it's why I always bang on about them when the opportunity comes up. They're completely underrated in my opinion. Push ups were a big part of my own shoulder rehab. Infact, I started on push up holds, holding it from the top position, because the shoulder couldn't handle anything else, then gradually moved further to the ground until I was holding at the bottom position, then doing actual push ups, lot'sof variations. They're still always in my programs, and I always keep them challenging.

But what I think you need to consider is,

Are actual PUSHUPS what made your shoulder feel better, or was it this perfect push up thing?

KPj
Ive done regular pushups, for a short stretch of about a month that was all i did actually. Just standard and diamond style, nothing on rings or anything like that. I had also heard they were good for shoulder health but they really didnt do anything for me, well other than bother my wrists that is ;). Its one of the main reasons im so impressed with this device, its a different feeling that you dont get from regular pushups. A difference you notice the first time you use it. Now is it possible thats its simply the fact that your supporting yourself on the handles thats playing a key role? Something that can be duplicated by doing them on a pair of dumbells? Sure its possible, but i think the rotating has a ton to do with it as well. Im just saying that the thing does work well.

I think it gets a bad rap because of the whole "Get Ripped" slogan, which yeah...we all know thats marketing aimed at the novices. Although....to open up a new can of worms....im not going to lie i do see a difference in my physique already after 2 and a half weeks :razz:

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Well today is my final day of the 21 day program where you go for max reps. While no result is going to convince any of you guys as to the quality of the equipment, hopefully i'll at least be able to give people some insight if the routine it comes with works. My first day max was 17...will be testing later.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I couldnt wait till later...lol.

Start of program - 17 reps
End of 3 week program -28 reps

Im sure a slight bump can be attributed to it just being a new piece of equimpment...but id say an 11 rep jump in 21 days is pretty damn good. I was even more controlled this time around on the descent than i was my first test. Body weight still the same at 215, so that wasnt a factor.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:46 pm

We aren't saying it won't help you do more pushups. We are just saying it won't help with anything else. It's probably easier on the wrists if nothing else.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Ironman wrote:We aren't saying it won't help you do more pushups. We are just saying it won't help with anything else. It's probably easier on the wrists if nothing else.
I disagree that it wont carryover, but i wont know for sure how this translates to other exercises like bench or military until i go back to doing them...ill probably run through the program again first. Im expecting the increased strength and stability in my shoulders will help. But even if i said my bench went up 30 lbs i doubt you guys would give any credit to the perfect pushup anyway! Dare i say everyone is "brainwashed" into thinking a product on tv cant work? :lol:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

I'd like to see how they help you. I think my blast strap pushups have helped me. I'm just wary of them for cost reasons - they're pretty expensive for something that's only going to help with one exercise. A set of rings, a pair of med balls or pushup handles - they can get used for other things besides pushups. But a Perfect Pushup seems pretty specific - it does that, and nothing else.

Still, I'm glad they work for you.

Skull_Crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Skull_Crusher » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 am

pdellorto wrote:I'd like to see how they help you. I think my blast strap pushups have helped me. I'm just wary of them for cost reasons - they're pretty expensive for something that's only going to help with one exercise. A set of rings, a pair of med balls or pushup handles - they can get used for other things besides pushups. But a Perfect Pushup seems pretty specific - it does that, and nothing else.

Still, I'm glad they work for you.
Thanks bud, i will be sure to let you know! I know it sounds like im a salesman for these things lol, but i just think the readers of the site should be able to get an opinion from somebody who's actually used the piece of equipment on a regular basis you know? And not just bashing opinions from people who havent. I know its not cheap but i think the price is being a little overblown, you can find them for 30 bucks. I dont think thats ridiculous...i mean, people spend 40, 50 bucks on a damn shirt or pair of pants!

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 am

Skull_Crusher wrote: Dare i say everyone is "brainwashed" into thinking a product on tv cant work? :lol:
hmmm....probably :grin:

Although, I think everyone would like to think that the progress is simply due to push ups, not neccessarily the push up plus. I dare say if your shoulders and/or wrists are quite tight, then this would feel better straight away since it would accomodate for your available ROM. But most would find that benefit from using a pair of DB's set down in a 'neutral' / hammer position. And push ups with an unstable element are pretty good, especially when you've got shoulder pain. I guess these would also add an unstable elememt to the exercise.... But you can get this from doing push ups with your hands on medicine balls. Or blast straps etc....

I also can't help but think that another factor to your shoulders feeling better is the fact that you're not benching or OH pressing. If you have certain flexibility problems in and around the shoulders then these exercises can cause problems.

What i'm trying to say is - We know you're not full of rubbish and will have felt benefit since you used this. I think what's happening is that everyone can see an alternative using equipment that they already have available to them...

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 am

Skull_Crusher wrote:
Ironman wrote:We aren't saying it won't help you do more pushups. We are just saying it won't help with anything else. It's probably easier on the wrists if nothing else.
I disagree that it wont carryover, but i wont know for sure how this translates to other exercises like bench or military until i go back to doing them...ill probably run through the program again first. Im expecting the increased strength and stability in my shoulders will help. But even if i said my bench went up 30 lbs i doubt you guys would give any credit to the perfect pushup anyway! Dare i say everyone is "brainwashed" into thinking a product on tv cant work? :lol:
Carry over to what? Benching with weight I could lift with my c*ck?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 am

I have an idea for a new challenge....