periodization

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ice109
n00b
n00b

periodization

Post by ice109 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:13 pm

i've been doing a 2 day push pull split 2 twice a week (read: lifting 4 days a week) since about the end of august and i'm starting to plateau. the push day consisted of lunges, squat, flat and incline bench and some other helper muscle exercises. the pull day consisted of stiff legged dead, dead, and some other helper muscle exercises.

now that i've hit the plateau i'm thinking about a new routine and i'm wondering what to do about those exercises. i feel like the exercises i mentioned are staple exercises and so any routine that doesn't include them is pointless. but i also realize that periodization is important. so i don't know what to do? are there some any good substitutes? should i just change the rep/set structure when i incorporate them into my new routine?

during this period i was doing basically 1warmup 2 working sets for the 3 big lifts for a max of 12 reps twice a week(no comments about overtraining please). i've used the starr routine in the past and made good gains on it so i wouldn't mind going back to it and the rep/set structure is much different. is that a decent idea?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:48 pm

Change the set/rep/intensity parameters and maybe change the split as well. You probably need chins and rows.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

I assume you are working 2 on 1 or 2 off, say Mon Tues, Thurs, fri.

In this case make Monday and Tuesday your training stimulus days. Do something to make your body adapt, say 5x5 across. On Thurs, Friday, do a lighter workout, say 2 x5 @ 70% of Monday's weight. The point is to have a once a week stimulus and a recovery workout. Look for improvement each week. Keep increasing intensity on the Monday, Tuesday workouts until you find you can't recover by the next week and then you will have to spread them out a little further, maybe a 2 week cycle: Heavy, Light, Medium. Light, Heavy. If you think a 1 week shedule, try a 5 day cycle: Monday: heavy push, Tuesday heavy Pull, weds off, Thurs, light whole body, Fri off, Saturday start over.

Stu

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am

I'm don't think that Deadlifting the day after Squatting is such a good idea. Also, where are the Chins, Rows and Overhead Presses.