Training a Football Player

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Training a Football Player

Post by Halfbreed » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Ok, So I have this freshman-aged kid that wants to play Highschool ball. He hasn't done any lifting in the past, but he asked me what I could do for him to prepare him for football. I set him on a bunch of compound exercises, doing circuiting with powerlifting and lots of twisting core exercises for breaking tackles. There's a coach here that does some plyometric stuff, and I've been putting him on some of the explosivity training. I've instructed him to eat every two hours, and a lot of high quality protein sources, mixed with enough carbs to get him trhough the training. Does anybody have any more suggestions and/or specific programs and/or exercises? This kid is a little underweight.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Hey, Halfbreed. Glad to see you're still posting. We only see you sporadically. Lots of different components to train for in football. Bill Starr wrote a book on the strength aspect of it some years back and it is generally considered to be the bible for strength work. The name was "The Strong Shall Survive-Strength Training for Football". It was basically about the Poweclean, Squat and Bench press and their variants, done in a 5X5 format/ Most recently, coach Rippetoe came out with a book called "Starting Strength", which is basically an updated version of Starr's. .
Enough on the strength portion. A good rounded program has to do with Strength, Stength endurance, and some type of cardio, and in the case of football, the cardio would be well seve with intervals. I would seriously encourage you to look at the crossfit , gymjones, or other models for the strength endurance and interval types of workouts, and Starr and Rippetoe for the strength portions. As the season draws near, never forget skill workouts.
Tim

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks, and thanks for welcoming me. Yeah, I know it's been a little sporadic, such is life here. There are always complications. As far as the kid goes, I only have about 45 minutes with him, and I train another 15 guys with him and his partner during that time. Right now I've been doing a lot of work with a 20lb medicine ball, squats, powercleans, deadlifts, and bodyweight exercises. I'm trying to run it so that he doesn't get so fatigued that his power will lag, but that his heartrate stays up and he's used to powering through a fatigue. I've been doing his benches and squats based on an old-school powerlifting approach, 4 sets of 4, 2 sets of 2, and sets of one until failure, on bench you end with what they call the NFL, reducing the weight and hitting a 32 rep max. Each week you increase your starting weight until you fail before the desired rep count. You get one more chance to hit it after first failure, and if you get it the second time, try the next weight up and the next week you'll be hitting that one. I'm not familiar with crossfit even though I've heard a lot about it.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi halfbeed. For not knowing about crossfit, sounds like you have their patterns down pretty well, with both the absolute and strength endurance thing (medicine balls, powering through fatigue). I know you have limited access,but you might want to check out crossfit.com next time you get a chance. Sounds like it's very close to what you are already doing, and might get some good new ideas. Best of luck to you.
Tim

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Tim-

I tried going to crossfit.com but it's blocked. I'm not even sure why I can go to this site, but I can. I got the address from a health class I was taking online, they wanted us to use your tests, and I started browsing and found a lot of good stuff here. They don't know that I'm registered or using this site or they'd probably block it too. The only sites that they don't have blocked are some that are .edu, and some that are .gov. No mas. Sometimes we get lucky and there's a loophole like in the case of your site, but otherwise, that's it. Anyway, crossfit is based on similar principles then? I usually just try to use common sense to come up with the programs I run. Things have to get pretty creative here.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:13 pm

I think this is unblocked because it is a recommended resource of the American College of Sports Medicine.