Timing Tabatas on G-shock

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Timing Tabatas on G-shock

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:06 am

Anyone know how to set a G-Shock (which I wear when training) timing function to a 20 second mark? Seems like the lowest timing unit is a minute. I want the thing to beep after 20 seconds.

Or any other ideas for this, aside from the Tabata-specific timers?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:49 am

I have been searching for a timer that you could program for the 20/10 second intervals and haven't found one yet. Currently I do it the old fashioned way. I work at home, either in the k-word or out on the back porch, so I just grab my k-word clock (large with second and minute hands) and time it just by visually watching.
Tim

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:51 am

I'm going to scour my G-shock's manual again, though I think it'll be fruitless.

For now, I'm doing basically the same as you, Time-- strapping the watch around something at eye level and watching the stopwatch.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:55 am

oops-- the whole time/timing thing led to that Freudian slip of the keyboard.

Meant "you Tim" :)

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:43 pm

For Tabata timers, this one gets a lot of recommendations but I've never tried it:

http://www.gymboss.com/

For a free solution, you can program this time for Tabata intervals.
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html

Finally, some people program music - mix an mp3 with 20 seconds of fast music, 10 seconds of slow, and after 8 intervals the music changes. I've never done that either, because I don't have an .mp3 player.

Hope that helps. I use the speedbagforum one when I'm at home. One gym I sometimes train at uses that and the coach's laptop as their only ring timer.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:01 pm

the MP3 player is a great idea. Maybe there's a track somewhere on the internet designed specifically for that purpose. Will check. If not, I'll see if I can cut one. If so, I will post a link to it to the forum.

As for the other solutions, they look good but I'm usually outdoors and as far away from technology as possible when I work out. But good to have in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions.