MMA

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

MMA

Post by Halfbreed » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:31 pm

There have been several people who have come through here, some whom do MMA themselves and one guy who was a sort of scout for a professional MMA coach who told me that I should do MMA competition. They based this off of watching me workout and in the case of the scout shadowboxing on a ball that was hanging froma tree during our hispanic heritage celebration. I told them all that it probably wouldn't be a good idea, as I had surgery a while ago as a result of being shot that cut through the center of my abdomen and left me with connective tissue as opposed to muscle right in the middle. When I flex, it come back together, when I relax, its open 3 inches or so between my sternum and my bellybutton. The scout said that I should check with a doctor, and even if he said that I shouldn't compete, I should still train with them. I'm assuming most of you aren't doctors, but you're a lot closer than the nurses we have here with regard to things like this. I had a buddy that blew out his ACL and messed up his meniscus, and they told him he had tendonitis....Anyway, what do you think about the competition/training? I've been hit in the stomach before by guys, and it didn't really bother me, but never by a professional fighter or anything. The only time it really did anything noticeable was when a buddy of mine and I were wrestling and he got a handhold on my abs. That made it swell a little with some sharp pains afterward, but I'm not sure why. Anyway, I didn't give it much thought at first, but several people have brought it up to me now, so I figured there might be something in it.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Only way to know is to give it a try.

But if Tra Telligman can compete in the pros with one pectoral muscle, you can compete with a problem abdomen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tra_Telligman

Just learn to protect yourself against knees. Punching to the stomach isn't as common in MMA, most people head-hunt. You don't have 12 rounds to wear them down, so you need a KO or to weaken them enough to get a submission.

Peter

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 pm

pdellorto wrote:But if Tra Telligman can compete in the pros with one pectoral muscle
How can he strike/push with his right arm without a pec? If he's a successful fighter, then obviously he can. But it still is mind boggling.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:But it still is mind boggling.
Yeah, right? I didn't believe it at first. But I've seen him fight against Tim Sylvia. He lost, admittedly, but he's got a solid professional record at the top level of the sport. I don't think Halfbreed's problem is going to be as bad...just gives him a sensitive area to protect. But all the muscles are there, so no worries.

I'd say, yeah, give it a go if you're feeling it. It's fun stuff. If full-out MMA isn't attractive, you can always do submission wrestling (no gi) or BJJ.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 am

Hey try it... when I was doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, one of our top fighters had just gone through testicular cancer. Not only was the guy a good fighter but he was in probably the best shape out of anyone there.

Though, a doctor consult is in order.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:15 am

Probably best to get checked out by a good doctor when you get out. Then if he/she clears you, go for it. Just make sure to listen to your body and don't ignore stuff.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:25 am

"But if Tra Telligman can compete in the pros with one pectoral muscle, you can compete with a problem abdomen. " - pdellorto

Maybe, but I've never heard of someone dying of a missing pectoral. Abdomenal injuries are another story. Better safe than sorry.

"Punching to the stomach isn't as common in MMA, most people head-hunt." - pdellorto

I've noticed that most body punches MMA are thrown from the high clinch, often to set up a head shot (Don Frye used to do this a lot). This is also where you see a lot of knee strikes.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Halfbreed. It appears to me that the type of physical training you are doing now would definately apply to MMA. If you have no problems with it, keep on keeping on. As to actual fighting, with the stomach muccle connectivity thing going on, when you get out I would definately get it checked out by a credible sports med pysician (and I emphasize sports med ). A lot of GP's may not have a clue.
Tim

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:32 am

TimD wrote: A lot of GP's may not have a clue.
Tim
That's no joke. For a year I was walking around with a pulled muscle in my lower back until it was properly diagnose as a ruptured disk.

As for the MMA gig it's just like any other combat sport. You need to take care of YOURSELF, no one else will. Just like boxing, your nothing but meat to these guys, so take care and watch your... behind.

Some of these MMA leagues are just one step up from the “Fight Club" thing. Just be careful. Remember, Not everyone is qualified or lucky enough get a contract and fight in the UFC.

If you can afford to take care of yourself then it could be a very fun trip. Who knows, one day you could very well end up in the octagon.

GL
Dave

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:22 am

XDaveX is right, you need a good coach and manager. First off, a good coach. You NEED good coach, one who can teach you and will have your best interests at heart even when they conflict with his own wishes and interests. They are a bit hard to find, but I've had two of them so I know they are out there.

Where are you located, exactly? I can ask about a coach in your area from the coaches I know.

Peter

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently incarcerated in Salem, Oregon, but I'm from the Tri-Cities, Washington originally. I have a couple of the guy's cards back on unit, but I don't remember the guy's name off the top of my head. I know the scout also works as a hispanic laiison for some school near here. I'm looking to go back to the Tri-Cities, but this guy works in the area here, and he said that he also knew some guys that did boxing in my area (Pasco) who would be interested. I've watched a lot of the IFL, UFC, and BoDog fighting here. A lot of these guys, espescially in BoDog aren't very technical fighters. If I got set up with a doctor, I would probably go to one of theirs, but I might look into checking one out myself also and asking them to cover the expenses after having talked to you. I can have the muscle repaired also, but that would require more surgery, which I hate doing. The nurses asked me if I was crazy because a week or two ofter having been shot (nine times) with literally nothing but staples keeping my guts from falling out I was trying to do pushups. I figured out pretty quick that I wasn't yet ready for that, but the point remains that I don't like to just sit around, wasting.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Well, my advice is to keep up your hard training, and when you get out look around at a few gyms and get those abs checked by qualified doctors.

In the meantime, do the lemoms/lemonade thing and get as fit as you can and you'll be ready for the technical/skill training when you get out. You probably aren't going to learn a lot of good technique and useful skills right now, so concentrate on getting strength, power generation (using muscle fast), and stamina.

I know you've got a lot of places blocked, so you probably can't check out Ross Enamait's excellent site. So here's one workout he does for stamina instead of running, called the Magic 50:

5 rounds of:
5 one-hand dumbbell snatches per hand (Left 5, Right 5)
5 one-hand dumbbell swings per hand (Left 5, Right 5)
10 Burpees

Rest 1 minute between rounds. When it seems easy, up the weights!

FWIW, when I do this, I skip the rest between rounds and just push through it. Both are fine. In any case, that's just one example of a good stamina-builder for MMA fighters (Ross is a boxer, but it's the same fitness you want). Do stuff like that and pack on muscle and get good at using it quickly and you'll be set to give MMA a go.

Peter