Cable curl - 10x6
Preacher curl (dumbbell) - 10x6

Cardio

Wednesdays = Legs

Seated leg press (sled) - 10x6
Seated leg curl (hams) 10x6
Leg extensions - 10x6
Seated calf press - 20x6

Thursday = Delts/Upper traps (somewhat easy day)

Shoulder press (one arm) - 10x6
Lat raise (lever) - 10x6
Seated rear lat raise (grip less) - 10x6

Grip less shrug (lever) - 10x6

Cardio

Friday = Make-up/Slacker muscle day

At the moment:

Chest
repeat Monday's routine but switch over to smith machine

Abs
Seated crunch - 90lbs to failure x2

Cardio

OK, I’ve been on this for a couple of months with some tweakage here and there and it has worked out pretty good for me.

My workouts use to be almost two hours with just weights. I was doing 10reps x 9sets but needed cardio so I dropped 3 sets and gained almost an hour.

I feel I need some Obliq work, which will eventually replace the chest on Fridays.

6'1 - 220lbs, 2800-3000calories, 150-200grams protein, alittle Nox, 5g Creatine, 12g Glutamine and 6g BCAA's per day

Hit me!

/cringe

Your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: OK guys, Tear this up!

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 am

XDaveX wrote:Be gentle.
Some random thoughts...

If you've cut your weight workout time in half, you've made the biggest improvement to your routine. Many people spend way too much time in the gym, buying into the "more is better" school of thought.

I'll assume that the 10x6 is short for 10 reps/6 sets. The other way around is too many sets for a given exercise.

I've found that squatting with two plates did more for my legs (and entire body) than leg pressing six or seven. Leg presses are good at getting the quads, but squats work the entire lower body.

You might want to rethink doing chest on Friday the day after working shoulders with presses. Both your anterior deltoids and triceps might be fatigued.

I'm not a fan of bodybuilding-type splits, but we all work out for different reasons. The most important thing is, are you making progress?

Happy training

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:47 am

Where are the squats and deadlifts? Also try doing more free weights and less machines, and fewer isolation exercises. Finally, try doing fewer sets of everything.
Last edited by Matt Z on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:50 am

"I feel I need some Obliq work, which will eventually replace the chest on Fridays." - XDaveX

Are you suggesting an entire day for obliques?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am

You may want to try a legs/push/pull split on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. Also, try varrying the number of repetitions instead of always doing the same number of sets and reps.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:57 am

Dave, how long have you been training? What you're describing is a rather advanced, high volume bodybuilding routine. It's certainly not appropriate for a beginner. I'm a little confused as to why every set seems to be 10x6. That's probably a bit much for some exercies. it's certainly inefficient. How are you structuring the weight loading. Is it ramped, straight across, pyramided? What is your rests between sets like? What's your nutrition like? Are you replenishing between the weights and the cardio? Anything post workout?

Sorry about all the questions but there are a lot of factors that need to be addressed before anyone can say whether it's a good or bad routuine.

For obliques, try Saxon side bends. A light dumbbell held overhead in both hand and lean side to side. It's surprising how little weight is required.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 am

Where are the squats and deadlifts? Also try doing more free weights and less machines, and fewer isolation exercises. Finally, try doing fewer sets of everything.
Amen.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:11 am

also, in terms of reps and sets, I like Chad Waterburys thinking in this one. I'm pretty sure it was his thinking, although no doubt other people have said the same...

Anyway, his rule of thumb is around 25 REPS per exercise, whatever way you want (can't remember his exact numbers, or range).

That could include 3 x 10, 10 x 3, 5 x 5, 2 x 12 etc etc

It's a good guide line and a good way to switch things up without making major changes. My rep ranges are almost always in the 20-30 rep range, with the exception being 'very high' volume weeks, and deloading weeks.

KPj

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am

XDaveX wrote:Hit me!

/cringe

Your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave
I forgot to ask - what is the purpose of your weight training? From your comment on another thread, you seem to be up on MMA - do you do martial arts? If so, I have to agree with the commenters who say that machines aren't the best way to train.

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Great stuff

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:48 am

Yes it is very advanced. I started working out a year after my lower back surgery and that is the reason behind the
Matt Z wrote:Where are the squats and deadlifts?

When I started working out I was getting all kinds of advice from friends who are gym rats. You know the office lawyer types and they helped me get into this routine. Now, anything less feels like a waste of time, I enjoy it and look forward to it for the most part.

There is a lot of good stuff here and that is why I posted it. Please keep it coming!

As for the free weights, I am starting to get away from the machines a bit. I started off with the machines to learn how to focus on the muscle and to condition myself. My gym I go to and the time frame I'm hit it has a lot to do with how I work my routine also. Sometimes it's easier and quicker to hit some of the machines then sit around and wait in line for the free weights.

My reps really depend on my mood for that day. Sometimes I'll increase the weight and only do 8x4 but I try to stay in the 10x6 range. I don't have a workout partner, as my friends hit the gyms closer to their homes so that plays a big part in it too. I don't want to rely on a spotter, a major reason why I don't go real heavy. I like to concentrate and focus on each rep and negatives play a huge roll.

I'm looking to change things around a bit and thats why I knew you guys would tear into it. Trust that I will make some changes due to your input.

Dave

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:02 pm

I need this; it makes me feel good again. I went a year after I got out of the service with a mis diagnosed back problem and another two years before I could get the surgery. My overall health and physical condition really took a hit. I hit 250lbs at one point. It really threw me for a loop. I was a 38 year old in a 70 year old body (It felt like it anyways).

It's in my character when I do something, it's all or nothing.
Last edited by XDaveX on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm

out of curiosity - what did you do to your lower back? Free weights are a 'healthier' option over machines. As well as just being better.

If you drop most of the machines and isolation exercises and replace them with more compound movements and generally more free weight exercises, you physically won't be able to train with that volume.

Unless of course, you lift weights that are easy for you, in that case you could do reps all day long.

For example, if you perform 5 sets of 5 reps on deadlift or squats PROPERLY i.e. going one rep shy of failure on every set, you will want to curl up in a ball and have a nap. Never mind doing squats/deadlifts, lunges, or whatever else is in the workout.

KPj

p.s it's always easier and quicker to use machines, and you don't even need to think about form, just grab the handles and go, that's why there so popular...

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 pm

KPj,

I ruptured my L5/S4 disk (I think). It popped and leaked into my spinal cord, quite painful with paralysis in my left leg. Doc didn't want to perform the surgery for almost two years because I was "too young".

As I stated I'm working away from the machines now that I know what to feel for when working the muscle. Just sometimes it's the only choice. I’m not going to wait 15-20min on free weights.
KPj wrote:you physically won't be able to train with that volume.
If I can do less that’s even better. As for my sets now, I start heavy after a warm-up set and go one rep shy of failure and a perform drop sets to maintain a good form.
stuward wrote:Dave, how long have you been training?
Never hit a gym until 3 months ago. For the last 12years minus the bad back years I always stayed conditioned through running and circuit training.

I perform drop sets for the most part

My rest between sets is around 2 – 3 min

Low carb diet, 2800-3000calories, 150-200grams protein and a multi per day. I jump around trying different stuff keeping it interesting.

2scoops Nox-CG3 pre workout about 20min prior

I drink loads of water at least 4 liters a day most of it pre workout.

Just water during my workout

Post workout XM2 w/2% milk, dinner w/milk and more water.

I hit the gym after work at about 5:00 just before the rush and I’m home by 6:30 - 7pm
Last edited by XDaveX on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:30 pm

stuward wrote:Dave, how long have you been training? What you're describing is a rather advanced, high volume bodybuilding routine. It's certainly not appropriate for a beginner. I'm a little confused as to why every set seems to be 10x6.
I really have no problems pushing through this routine and It's pretty simple for me. To tell you the truth I thought it was alittle weak.

I'm no sloutch it's not in me to not push myself to the edge. Somedays I have to hit the tub when I get home and just pass out.

I don't have to lift a ton of weight to build mass, I know this. Moderate to heavy weight with the right number of reps can tear a muscle up pretty good. I leave my ego at the door, for the most part. I hurt myself before and I'm NOT going to do it again. I rehabbed a whole year after my surgery bofore starting at the gym.

I'll give the Saxon side bends a try out. I was planning on 45 side bends, then graduate up to weighted 45 side bend.

XDaveX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XDaveX » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:05 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote: you seem to be up on MMA - do you do martial arts? If so, I have to agree with the commenters who say that machines aren't the best way to train.
Just a huge Boxing/MMA fan and know my way around the streets. I'm too old to be thowing down now. I just pickup the heaviest object I can get my hands. My son is into the arts, karate and JKD mainly... lol lookout!