Single Leg Split Squats + Lunge questions.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm sure a couple of those KB types like Cotter or Mahler has probably done them, but I can't even imagine trying them. I do a lot of the 1 arm overhead TWO legged squats and the balance even with two legs is pretty wild. That's why they're so good for the core, they cock you center of gravity way off center.
Tim

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:44 pm

That's funny. I couldn't do one good clean to save my life, but overhead squats are pretty easy for me, even One-arm DB Overhead Squats.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:16 am

I would say the best way to progress to full ROM pistols is by limiting the ROM. Do them down to a bench or a higher box and every few weeks drop the height a few inches.

It's something you can throw in at the end of any session, too. This is how i progressed to them and I went from pathetic to being able to do them full ROM quite easily in 3 months. They are a killer at first, but like anything, with practice they become easy.

Also, i've seen this done with the WORKING foot on a bench. I tried it like this the other day and it felt a little easier to keep my balance. That may just be personal preference though...

KPj

pdellorto

Step-Ups

Post by pdellorto » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:38 am

My coach hates when I stand on his bench, so I can't practice them often. But I'm trying to throw in some pistol practice off the bench or on chairs at home.

I did some step-ups and walking lunges the other days, and man, my knees hurt as a result. I can't figure out which one it is. The knees felt perfectly fine (although slightly bruised) after doing lunges and single leg split squats. But I started thinking that squats above parallel put a lot of stress on your knees, and the bench I used for step ups is below knee height for me. Is it possible I need a higher bench to do step-ups to avoid knee pain? I was reading the Westside for Skinny Bastards III on Joe DeFranco's website and he starts his athletes doing step ups with a box higher than their knees (see Tuesday, under B, Unilateral exercise with extra ROM). Or is this just a form issue?

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Is it both knees? Or just the one above the injured (or recently injured) foot?

When I was at the beginning of rehabbing my shoulders, I felt all sorts of strange pain, especially on some of the exercises that were crucial for my recovery - specifically ones that target the middle and lower traps. However, as my imbalances started to fix, the pains i felt would go away.. And some exercises that I couldn't do before, feel good now.

Have u checked out his article yet, quite new on t-nation and has some good info on how fascia connects all the joints and also has quite an informative mention of plantar fasciitis and how it effects the knee... well, technically, how excessive foot pronation in general effects the knee and everything else.. even your jaw, lol...

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do; ... id=1813999

Anyway, you should give the higher box step ups a go and see what it's like. Obviously if something is causing a lot of pain you don't want to do it. Have you tried reverse lunges? They are less stressful on the knee and could be a good place to start as well... I think it's just a case of finding pain free exercises to start with then after 1-2 months or so give the other ones a shot...

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 pm

It was both knees. The right one hurts a little because I'm forcing my right foot straight, same with the right hip. But for a couple days after the step-ups and walking lunges both knees hurt constantly.

I'm going to try a higher step-up surface for unweighted step-ups, see how it feels. The lunges don't seem to hurt so I will keep at them. Same with the split-squats.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 am

One more lunge question:

- I was doing reverse lunges last night. Unweighted and lightly weighted. They felt fine - different, but good. Is there a simple way to make sure you always step back the same distance? Without a training partner or a mirror, that it.

I also tried lunges onto the raised edge of the ring for more distance. Wow, great stuff...

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:39 pm

I've never gave it too much thought but one thing I do is get a small mat and fold it in half to give it some cushion (it's the only mats available). I place that behind me to cushion the knee on the back leg. When changing legs I don't move the mat and lunge from the same forward foot position - I normally do them now with my front foot elevated on an aerobic step, so i'm always stepping from the step to the mat, if that makes sense, so front and back foot position never really changes. I guess where the back leg lands could change a little though.

I must admit I never done this for the sake of getting the same distance in each leg (but will be conscious of it from now on). I done it because once I was doing reverse lunges with a BB in a front squat grip and failed, sending my knee crashing into the floor. It was sore for 1-2 weeks :-(

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 am

The cushion is a good idea. I generally haven't been using one - either I do lunges on the mats (so, no need to cushion) or I've been wearing my old pair of competition knee pads. Maybe I should ditch the knee guards and try the cushion just to ensure I get the distancing right. I like the idea of contact feedback.

The reverse lunges do seem easier on my kneecaps than regular lunges. Reverse walking lunges are really fun, too. Tricky, but good stuff.