Biotest Flameout (and T-Nation)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Biotest Flameout (and T-Nation)

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:06 am

I'm thinking about buying Biotest's fatty acid supplement, Flameout.

T-Nation really loves it, perhaps for less than pure-hearted reasons. I was wondering what people think about this supp versus other similar.

And, as a side note-- T-Nation reliability (though my guess is that it's a bit schizophrenic, with good, well researched articles and then others that are simple Biotest-hocking).

thanks.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 am

I have no idea about their products. for fatty acid supps I just eat lenty of fish and take fish-oil caps. I really like most of their articles, you just have to know, though, when to wade through all the ads. They have a lot of good contributing authors over there, and just do a mental block on it when the products start showing up.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Biotest Flameout (and T-Nation)

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:49 am

Onlyethic wrote:I'm thinking about buying Biotest's fatty acid supplement, Flameout.

T-Nation really loves it, perhaps for less than pure-hearted reasons. I was wondering what people think about this supp versus other similar.
I wasn't familiar with Flameout before your post, but consuming more omega 3 fatty acids and consuming fewer Omega 6 fatty acids to relieve inflammation has been confirmed as valid by the scientific literature. The case for CLA as a Cox 2 inhibitor is less strong, but is pretty promising so far.

The real issue for you is whether Flameout is made by a reputable manufacturer - if you check the Supplements Facts label, you'll see the line "Developed by and manufactured exclusively for Biotest". Manufactured by whom? The supplement industry is full of manufacturers who don't deliver the goods.

Looking at this page'sads for Biotest products, you're right to suspect that T-Nation's promotion of Flameout has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:06 am

Yeah, I'm thinking about going for GNC's version, which is about half the price. Not sure that I need the 10x DHA, EPA content.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:42 am

Onlyethic wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking about going for GNC's version, which is about half the price. Not sure that I need the 10x DHA, EPA content.
The higher the DHA/EPA content, the fewer capsules you have to take. If Biotest is legit, you won't be saving money by buying GNC.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:24 am

Biotest is definitively legit. I've bought books etc off them and one tub of Surge, a recovery drink. I would get supps from them all the time but it's a lot more expensive getting biotest supps in the UK, as you either need to pay the big delivery bill across the atlantic, or get them from a seller here who have already added their own mark-up to the price...

I guess they're not the most well known, but are becoming more well known for the quality of their products. I couldn't find the original mens health articles, so here is the t-nation reference to it, it's menshealth basically saying Biotests protein powder is the best on the market..

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do? ... ialReports

Their supps are also recommended when you get the Precision Nutrition System, DR John Berardi's product which I just got recently and is pretty well known - He doesn't recommend many manufacturers at all. Biotest and Greens+, that's about it.

But I can see why they don't look legit, with the aggressive website design and very tongue-in-cheek style of, well everything - writing, advertising, etc

KPj