The Art of Bodybuilding

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

work of art
n00b
n00b

The Art of Bodybuilding

Post by work of art » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:22 pm

To me bb is the sum total of different components needed to achieve a desired result.Proper nutrition,application of correct exercise technique,rest and recovery,sticking to the basic lifts that have stood the test of time,and a willingness to work hard in the weightroom are to me the core essentials. Attaining quality mass with proportion of all bodyparts is a very detailed and delicate process that takes and honest assesment of your physique to see what weak muscles need special attention to be brought up to compliment your strong ones. Whether you are a ectomorph like me thats long limb with a fast metabolism,or a mesomorph that has a natural athletic build that can put on muscle quickly,or even a endomorph thats fairly strong with a high bf%.Each bodytype has been blessed with certain attributes that you can use to your advantage.Learn as much as you can and have a belief in yourself and you will be amazed at the results you can achieve.This to me is the true ART OF BODYBUILDING.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Some body types are more blessed than others though.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:38 am

I've always thought of endomorphs as natural strength atheletes with the highest potential for muscle mass and absolute strength, and ectomorphs as natural endurance atheletes, ideally suited to things like distance running. Meanwhile, I've thought of mesomorphs as somewhere in between ... lighter and leaner than endomorphs and more muscular than ectomorphs, making them the fastest and perhaps most versitive body type.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:01 am

Most sports strongly favor a specific body type (bodybuilding for example favors mesomorphs). However, combat sports like MMA seem to be an exception. I think there are two reasons for this:
1) In a fight, skill is more important than athletic prowess. After all, Herculean strength is nearly useless without good technique, and world class conditioning isn't going to help you if you get knocked out in the first round.
2) Good fighters know how to play to their strengths. For example, endomorphs can use their strength to overpower opponents, while mesomorphs can rely on their speed and ectomorphs can use their endurance to outlast opponents (Royce Grace used to do this a lot against much bigger and stonger opponents).
Last edited by Matt Z on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:22 pm

I missed out on those strength genetics I think.

tyler

Post by tyler » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Ironman wrote:I missed out on those strength genetics I think.

Hmm...what the hell is it when u lose and put on weight fast? Those scientific terms confuse me!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:35 pm

tyler wrote:
Ironman wrote:I missed out on those strength genetics I think.

Hmm...what the hell is it when u lose and put on weight fast? Those scientific terms confuse me!
It's called a "youngster". When you get older, you don't lose weight so fast.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm

I call it being lucky. I have to work real hard for every little bit of progress. Especially with the fat loss.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Yeah, I'd call it lucky too. I've had friends like that - burn fat like crazy, get strong and big fast, even recover quickly from hard workouts. Not me. I burn fat slowly, get strong very slowly, and while I recover quickly I've got to work really hard to accomplish anything. The classic term for that is "hardgainer" although it got hijacked by folks who didn't want to eat properly and lift with intensity to explain why they couldn't gain.

But yeah, I fight for every extra ounce of weight I can lift on the bar. It's just how the cards got dealt, though. I'll take it and see how far I can go.

I will say, though, that I don't think the "body types" bit really helps that much. Take a mesomorph, an ectomorph, and an endomorph and put them on a properly balanced diet with a solid exercise program, and they'll grow. Some may gain faster, but I don't really believe you need radically different programs for them...at least not at the beginner stage anyway.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:23 am

It also depends a lot on your level of development, since it's much easier to make gains as a beginner. Likewise, it's much easier to lose 10 lbs if you're morbidly obese.