Observations in the gym

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

work of art
n00b
n00b

Observations in the gym

Post by work of art » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:00 pm

When im in the gym i notice alot of trainees complaining that they are not getting the results they want.As i continue to monitor them i see that they continually do the same exercises,sets,and rep scheme in the same order month after month.The first question i ask is how is your eating regimen when not in here.they respond with well i try and get 2-3 meals in a day with some water but i do allow myself maybe 2 cheat days a week.my response to them is i dont care how heavy or intense you train if you dont number 1 have you eating regimen in order by feeding your body a consistent balance of complex carbs ,protein,fruits and vegetables and healthy fats.And second mix things up when it comes to your training you will be very dissapointed.Remember train to build and eat often and clean to reveal.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Not to mention, many of them have terrible form.

recmatt
Novice
Novice

Post by recmatt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Most of the people I see coming out of the local Fitness First gym look too thin. Probably one in ten have some decent muscle. I can't understand why people spend so much money just to waste countless hours on a treadmill or other cardio machines.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:14 pm

recmatt wrote:Most of the people I see coming out of the local Fitness First gym look too thin.
Your gym is more successful than most, then - the average person joins a gym because he's too fat. ;-)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 am

And they continue to be fat too.

Traps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Traps » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:04 am

Intensity is the number one factor I see in the average gym member's workout. Most people are just not challenging themselves enough so that their body can continuously have something new to adapt to.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:14 am

I see a fair number of anorexic looking women at my gym. They're the ones who spend hours on the treadmills and stair climbers.

deano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deano » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Traps wrote:Intensity is the number one factor I see in the average gym member's workout. Most people are just not challenging themselves enough so that their body can continuously have something new to adapt to.
I think Traps nailed it, they lack intensity and focus. Half the time their jaw jacking instead of applying that energy and extra effort to their lifts. Challenging themselves is also a big one as is diet, sleep, and periodizing their workouts.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:18 pm

You cannot get the goal you want with 2 things...

1. Poor Program/Wrong Program and Exercises

2. Poor Form

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 am

deano wrote:
Traps wrote:Intensity is the number one factor I see in the average gym member's workout. Most people are just not challenging themselves enough so that their body can continuously have something new to adapt to.
I think Traps nailed it, they lack intensity and focus. Half the time their jaw jacking instead of applying that energy and extra effort to their lifts. Challenging themselves is also a big one as is diet, sleep, and periodizing their workouts.
The average gym member isn't interested in - or is capable of - becoming Mr. America or a pro athlete. Why should he work out with high intensity? There is no evidence that exercise above moderate levels confers any greater health benefits - indeed, it is more likely to result in injury.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Some people are perfectly happy with their appearance and level of physical fitness, and content just to maintain. There's nothing wrong with that. But many more aren't. And yet, many of them continue to do the same half-assed workouts with the same sets, reps and loading, week after week and year after year, while lamenting their lack of progress. It makes no sense.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:32 pm

I've also noticed that many people have very low expectations of themselves. True most of them will never be pro atheletes, but I've met healthy young men, who can't imagine EVER being able to bench press their own bodyweight. Why the hell not? That's one goal just about anyone can achieve.

deano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deano » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
deano wrote:
The average gym member isn't interested in - or is capable of - becoming Mr. America or a pro athlete. Why should he work out with high intensity? There is no evidence that exercise above moderate levels confers any greater health benefits - indeed, it is more likely to result in injury.
Stephen, true; but I was referring to those who are looking to gain more mass/strength, don't put a good forth effort or challange themselves and are dumbfounded at their lack of progress. You get out of it what you put into it.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:06 pm

deano wrote:true; but I was referring to those who are looking to gain more mass/strength, don't put a good forth effort or challange themselves and are dumbfounded at their lack of progress. You get out of it what you put into it.
I missed the context - thanks for providing it. People who expect to progress without effort are fairly common in the gym. But most of the young guys I see in the gym are more interested in picking up chicks than in benching their bodyweight. Training is a means to an end for them, not an end in itself. They would rather look like an underwear model than Mr. Olympia.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:16 pm

I don't think it is possible to have a nice chest without being able to bench your body weight.