Mucle mass????

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kunalbh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:57 am

oh im sorry may be this will help you people.

my work out routine is as of now
3 variation each of 3 sets and reps per set is 8 as heavy as possible.

monday
shoulders and triceps
that includes
shoulder press
side lateral
front
triceps-one hand extension
pulley push down
kick back

tuesday-back
dead lift
front pulley
one arm rowing
seat at cable row
shruds or upright

wednesday- off

thursday biceps & chest
dumbel curl
hammer or concentration
incline bench press
decline bech press

friday-off

saturday legs
squats
leg press
leg extension
lenges
calvthe above mentioned is the routine i follow

and my diet is

break fast-------2 eggs 1 patato 1 sandwich 2 glasses of milk
brunch-------fruits
lunch-------ny thing what is cooked that is ROTI AND SOME VEGETABLE round about 7-9 rotis
before workout-----2 eggs 2 bananas 1 patato
after work out and dinner------4 eggs 1 patatos rice dal and some vegetables and fruits

my trainer in the gym has given me this routine to follow nad some how i am not convinced with it its like
DAY 1------legs
DAY 2---- -chest/triceps
DAY 3------shoulders
DAY 4------biceps
DAY 5 -----back
2 OFFS A WEEK

DO U GUYS THINK THIS PATTERN OF WORKOUT WOULD REALLY HELP
oh sorry for my language but this is how i type i dont really pay attention to spellings!! i must tke care of it

[/b]

rsx_doc
n00b
n00b

Alternatives for vegetarian diet

Post by rsx_doc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:42 am

Kunal,

I am a novice myself when it comes to muscle building; however, I have been seeing good results from the time I started i.e 5 months back. Nevertheless, I am throwing in my 2 cents.

Your diet seems to be entirely vegetarian. So, I guess you do not eat meat, seafood or poultry with the exception of eggs. It's rather difficult (though not impossible) to achieve great results with the kind of veggie diet you have. I suspect, that you do not get enough proteins in your diet. The only proteins in your diet seem to be contributed by eggs (btw, way too many) and "daal" (which for those unfamiliar with cuisine from Indian subcontinent is thick lentil soup or different kinds of pulses) and few from milk etc.

You seem to be eating more than req carbs and less of proteins; so many potatoes and add to that 7-9 rotis (Indian flat bread for the uninitiated) and rice!!!

Try to get more proteins in your diet. Offhand, I can think of the following protein rich foods for a veggie diet: beans - kidney beans, pinto beans, lima beans, lentils, soy beans... many soy products, nuts like almonds and cashews, peanut butter, cottage cheese, tofu. Also, you may try using egg whites / substitutes instead of so many eggs. The egg yolk contains a lot of cholesterol (one yolk contains 2/3rd of daily requirement and you are consuming eight everyday!!).

GOODLUCK!

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Alternatives for vegetarian diet

Post by kunalbh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:52 am

rsx_doc wrote:Kunal,

I am a novice myself when it comes to muscle building; however, I have been seeing good results from the time I started i.e 5 months back. Nevertheless, I am throwing in my 2 cents.

Your diet seems to be entirely vegetarian. So, I guess you do not eat meat, seafood or poultry with the exception of eggs. It's rather difficult (though not impossible) to achieve great results with the kind of veggie diet you have. I suspect, that you do not get enough proteins in your diet. The only proteins in your diet seem to be contributed by eggs (btw, way too many) and "daal" (which for those unfamiliar with cuisine from Indian subcontinent is thick lentil soup or different kinds of pulses) and few from milk etc.

You seem to be eating more than req carbs and less of proteins; so many potatoes and add to that 7-9 rotis (Indian flat bread for the uninitiated) and rice!!!

Try to get more proteins in your diet. Offhand, I can think of the following protein rich foods for a veggie diet: beans - kidney beans, pinto beans, lima beans, lentils, soy beans... many soy products, nuts like almonds and cashews, peanut butter, cottage cheese, tofu. Also, you may try using egg whites / substitutes instead of so many eggs. The egg yolk contains a lot of cholesterol (one yolk contains 2/3rd of daily requirement and you are consuming eight everyday!!).

GOODLUCK!
hey thanx for the suggestion i really appreciate it... oh i forgot to mention about the non veg diet.i myslef am a complete non vegetarian i eat more of prawns and chicken, thats like a proper meal of the both is like once in 2 days.
oh i meant the term vegetables inthe indian cusine that is what you have with rotis that includes chicken and seafood too dear...
and wat do u think about the training i go through or plan to go for??

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:04 am

kunalbh wrote:
my trainer in the gym has given me this routine to follow nad some how i am not convinced with it its like
DAY 1------legs
DAY 2---- -chest/triceps
DAY 3------shoulders
DAY 4------biceps
DAY 5 -----back
2 OFFS A WEEK

DO U GUYS THINK THIS PATTERN OF WORKOUT WOULD REALLY HELP

[/b]
I think this is a bad split, primarily because it calls for biceps before back. Your back is more important than your biceps so it should be done before biceps.

The other thing that is wrong, and also with the one you have proposed is that you train once a week. I gather that you are relatively inexperienced. Beginners do better with training each body part every 2-3 days. Intermediate need 3-7 days between heavy workouts with lighter workouts in between. Advanced trainers need 7 to 30 days between their heaviest workouts. Doing a routine that is too advanced will slow your progress.

Drop all the isolation work and do a simple workout based on Squats, presses, and pulls.

Try alternating these 2 workouts with a day off between each:
Front Squat
Deadlift
OH Press
Chin ups
Dips

Back Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Bench Press
Bent Rows

If you want to work 4 days a week, split each of the 2 workouts lower/upper and do them on adjacent days. Do more sets or add accessory exercises.

Monday
Front Squat
Deadlift
Split squat

Tuesday
Cleans
OH Press
Chin ups
Dips

Thurs
Back Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Lunges

Friday
Bench Press
Bent Rows
Arms

Stu

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kunalbh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:37 am

ive bee working out for the last 2 years but in these 2 years have never done a single body part twice a week, are there any benifits of doing a body part twice a week?. since the past two years i have been following one body part to be hit once a week and the results am getting are satisfactory. Could anyone please help me with the benifits of hitting a body part twice a week

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 am

kunalbh wrote:Hey i have been gyming since 2 years by now have experimented with different work outs routines but some how the results am gettin is not satisfaactory!!!!
kunalbh wrote: since the past two years i have been following one body part to be hit once a week and the results am getting are satisfactory.
You seem conflicted. It's hard to give advice to someone like you. Either you're happy with the results from your routine or you aren't. Don't make us guess.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:48 am

Could anyone please help me with the benifits of hitting a body part twice a week
This concept seems to have been made popular by Marc Rippetoe in "Starting Strength". You should read that book.
More frequent training can speed up your results. Most people have recovered sufficiently to train again after 2-3 days. That means that you can get more growth stimulation than weekly training. Also the more frequent training builds conditioning so your body is better able to handle the workloads.

Even advanced trainees can train more frequently than weekly. Read Dr. Squat's ABC Training. http://drsquat.com/articles/abcsimple.html

A recent discussion on T-Nation is here: http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1872221
Please excuse the juvelile arguing but som of the links provided are very good. Read the comments by HKDOOM.

One of the key links was a study that showed that optimal results (strength) come from 3 days a week for untrained people and 2 days a week for trained people, 4 sets per body part per workout for both trained and untrained.

Stu

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:30 pm

The other thing that is wrong, and also with the one you have proposed is that you train once a week. I gather that you are relatively inexperienced. Beginners do better with training each body part every 2-3 days. Intermediate need 3-7 days between heavy workouts with lighter workouts in between. Advanced trainers need 7 to 30 days between their heaviest workouts. Doing a routine that is too advanced will slow your progress.
On a personal note stu, could that be why it takes me sometimes 2 weeks to recover after a big chest or anything workout? I notice it takes me sometime 2 weeks for my full strength to come back.
Don't post a bunch of times in a row. Also work on your spelling and grammar. It is so bad, I don't know what the hell you're talking about half the time.
Nice and blunt

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Ironmaiden, take a look at Dr. Squat's ABC System. http://drsquat.com/articles/abcsimple.html

The C workouts are the heavy one and he puts over 2 weeks between them for the chest.

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kunalbh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:51 am

hello
just visited the drsquat site. the bc form of routine looks good but isnt it like pushing yourself too hard, i mean like doing 2-3 body parts a day, super sets and aall would it really help in gaining size? may be im wrong wat i have learned out of experience is that one body part should taken a day, hit it really hard and then let it rest. i have taken 2 body parts a day thats the time i worked out 4 times a week it dint really help much so then moved on to this routine.

monday-legs
tuesday-chest/triceps
wednesday-break
thursday-shoulders
friday-back
saturday-biceps
sunday-break

now im only talkin about the body parts i hit. I know im quite confused its just that after 2 years of training no doubt i have gained size. but some how i feel that from the past 4 months i hae just been stagnant i see very neglegible improvements, so have decided to change my work out to the above mentioned

Do you guys think it will work?
MY MAIN AIM IS TO GROW HUGE

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 am

Pairing bodyparts will give you more rest, not less. For example, in a Legs, Push, Pull Split you train chest, front delts and triceps together in one workout, so all three muscles have a full week to recover from each workout. In your program you front delts and triceps are worked twice a week, once on your chest/triceps day and once on your shoulder day.

Likewise, in a Legs, Push, Pull Split your back and biceps are trained together in the same workout along with side delts, rear delts and traps. Consequently these muscles also have a full week to recover before being worked again. In your program biceps are worked two days in a row, once on your back day and once on your biceps day. Likewise rear delts are trained two days in a row, once on your shoulder day and once on your back day.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:50 am

In a full-body program on the other hand you train each muscle group more often. However, you spend a lot less time per-workout on each muscle group, so you recover more quickly.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25 pm

I read that article stu and it shows that its not so much heavy but alot of reps to bring you to exhaustion.