Can anyone help me with my imbalances (picures included)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

caangelxox

Can anyone help me with my imbalances (picures included)

Post by caangelxox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 pm

I have a lot of inbalances and I do not want to continue to weightrain or anything until I figure out what I actually need to work on. I don't want to continue on with a routines I make and then everything get worse. . The ones I don't like is my big butt from sitting a lot in the past (want that fix) and my sides (I am leaning more towards one side when I stand because one side is stronger than the other. maybe its also because I bat left handed).

Also, view my sleeping picture too I took. What is the neutral non-compensatory position for sleeping? I know my shoulder is not in the right position because it aches in the morning. My glute medius aches too (the muscle above the hip abductors I think is the glute medius) in the morning. I have been sleeping on my side since last week. I slepped on my left side last night though beause my right glute medius has been aching.

Note: I may look a little stiff in some of the pictures because I had my camera on a 10 second timer for each of these pictures except for the ones I held on to the camera myself.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4268/mybodybc8.jpg My body - Front, Back, Side, Neck Rotation, feet, legs (front, back, side)
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3161 ... orszr4.jpg arms behind back stretch and abductor stretch
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2503/sleepwq7.jpg sleep position

By the way, to let you guys know... I cannot afford going to any personal trainer and CSCS. The gym won't be open at my school again until Spring semester and my parents don't want to pay for a gym membership, so I am limited in what I could do. My parents won't pay me to go to anything and it sucks. I don't have a job yet, but I am planning on getting one soon after I find out Jan 15th-16th at tryouts for softball if I make my JC team or not. My mom also says my posture is fine and everything and to stop worrying and reading all this stuff on the internet. My mom does not even exercise or workout and she smokes too. There is no way I am going to listen to her and mess myself up even more in my posture. I am lucky I am even seeing a chiropractor (my mom wants me to go once a month now instead of every week or every 2 weeks) and no I do not have scoiliosis. According to my pictures, my posture and muscle balance is not good. I have to do things for free online and get the best information that I can. I have not lifted weights in a while because I want to figure out what my problem is first and get on the right program.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:44 pm

To make this short.....
- I'm 5'0, 21 years old, 105 pounds, I am athletic, and I play softball and sometimes Soccer. I can also run pretty fast.
- I play softball and I bat left handed, throw right handed; therefore, as you could see in the pictures, the sides of my body has an inbalance. One oblique is stronger than the other side and according to my pictures, you can see the slight lean to one side
- I used to be a stomach sleeper
- one hip is higher than the other (my right leg is longer than my left)
- I have tight shoulders (upper trapz, levator scap,Sternocleidomestoid muscles), hip flexors, hip abductors, glutes, hamstrings, right QL (probably from deadlifting and my right side getting more work than my left due to my right leg being longer than the left).
- when I squad or deadlift, my weight shifts a little more on my right leg.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:09 pm

Honestly, I don't see any obvious imbalances in the first set of photos. Your entire body seems proportional and symmetrical. I did however notice a clear difference between your right and left sides in the second set of pictures. Regular stretching should address this. Meanwhile, you can address any strength imbalances you may have between your right and left sides by using dumbbell exercises for your upper body and one-legged lifts for your lower body (lunges, step-ups, one-legged deadlifts, etc).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:12 pm

PS.) Keep in mind that the human body is never perfectly symmetrical. For example, it's common for one foot to be half a size larger than the other. Likewise, strength imbalances are generally only a problem when they become severe.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:18 pm

I want to fix my muscle imbalances before it becomes severe. I don't want to get anywhere near that point.

For Hip Dominant, what is the best exercise other than one legged RDL? I have trouble with my balance with one legged RDL bodyweight (I do that for dynamic warm up). My right leg is defiantly worse in balance than the left even though I am right handed probably due to my inbalances.

Working out in all 3 plane of movements will take care of it and fix all the inbalances right?

Upper Body Horizontal Push/Pull
Upper Body Vertical Push/Pull
Quad Dominant
Hip Dominant
Rotation

Also..I found this website http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/resource ... planar.php and it has all 3 plane of movements (frontal, sagittal, and transverse) for the hip, trunk, and shoulders.

Hip
Saggittal: Flexion/Extension
Frontal: Abduction/Adduction
Transverse: Horizontal Flexion/Extension

Shoulder
Saggittal: Flexion/Extension
Frontal: Abduction/Adduction
Transverse: Horizontal Flexion/Extension

Trunk
Sagittal: Flexion/Extension
Frontal: Right Lateral Flexion/Left Lateral Flexion
Transverse: Right Rotation/Left Rotation

I think combinding the push pulls and the quad/hip dominant with the Hip, Shoulder, and Trunk one is the best way to go.

What exercises should I stay away from right now? I don't want to do regular squats or deadlifts until my legs get the same length and same strength. and I do not want to do dips (heard their not good for shoulders) or crunches (what can get your hip flexors tight, so reverse crunches would be better I guess.

Upper Body Horizontal Push - Push ups, Bench Press
Upper Body Horizontal Pull - Inverted Row, Bent Over Row
Upper Body Vertical Push - Don't know a good exercise for this one except for shoulder press or push press or one arm snatch
Upper Body Vertical Pull - Pull Ups or Lat Pulldown or Barbell/DB Pull Over
Quad Dominant - Squats or one legged Squat or Lunges
Hip Dominant - RDL, Deadlift, or One Legged RDL

I cannot figure out how to transfer some of these exercises listed above to the plane of movements below. Can you help me? I will put whatever I can in, and you could add in and fill in the blanks as well. I would like as many exercises as possible for each, so I can choose which ones I want to do. A lot of the exercise examples on the website I got these movements from are not very good example ones and some I do not reconize. I wish my reading comprehension was better. I have a learning disability by the way.

I don't want any machine exercises by the way except for Lat Pulldown. I want all freeweights dumbbells or barbells.

Hip
Saggittal: Flexion/Extension - Forward/Backward Lunge, Squats
Frontal: Abduction/Adduction - Lateral Lunge, Lateral Step Up (the site says for both LL and LSU is that both works adduction and abduction just says hip abduction. I am confused here. It should work both the outside hip and inside hip)
Transverse: Horizontal Flexion/Extension - ? (what is a transverse plane lunge that the site lists)? I know there are rotational lunges that mike boyle says in his mobility article at t-nation. I thought it was an actual lunge and twist, but it wasn't.

Shoulder
Saggittal: Flexion/Extension - DB Front Raise, Are Pull Ups, Lat Pulldowns, and Pullovers apart of this? (the Flexion)
Frontal: Abduction/Adduction - DB Lateral Raise
Transverse: Horizontal Flexion/Extension - Y/T/L/W, Push Ups, Inverted Rows, Bent Over Rows, Bench Press

Trunk
Sagittal: Flexion/Extension - Superman, Reverse Crunches, Prone/Supine Plank, Glute Bridge for Flexion. For extension - side plank, what else?
Frontal: Right Lateral Flexion/Left Lateral Flexion - Side Plank with Reach
Transverse: Right Rotation/Left Rotation - Side Plank with Reach/woodcops/diagonal rotations

I want as much information as I can get in my brain and undestand this, so I can make sure I am not making my body worse and that I am fixing the imbalances. For fixing the imbalances, if one side is weaker than the other, the stronger side can just do whatever weight the weaker side uses. I want to make sure I understand everything before I continue weightraining. Stuff like this is what makes me worry and not continue on. If I do not understand something fully and think I may be doing something wrong, that is when I stop. After I took pictures of my body and saw, I knew I was not doing something right.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:15 pm

I have the same thing going on with my shoulder as you, probably because I sleep on the right side all the time. I can bring my fingers together but it hurts on my right side when I do. It doesn't bother me any other time though. Adjust your sleep position and see what happens. Perhaps using a second pillow will support your head better.

It does appear that one of your legs is shorter than the other. Why don't you see about an insert in one shoe to even it up? That may be all you need.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:13 am

I want to actually fix the inbalance. Inserting something won't fix it. I know my one hip higher than the other can be fixed otherwise the chiropractor would of not been able to do the adjustment. its all a spinal alignment thing.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1216968 go down to "Q". It talks about a tight QL (what I have) and causing one hip to be higher than the other. My right QL is tight and my right hip is higher than the left. This would have to be the reason why one hip is higher than the other, otherwise if it wasnt spinal alignment, my QL would not be tight.

by the way - can u help me fill out the 3 planes of movements thingy I posted in my previous reply here?

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:55 am

Are you actually doing all this or are you writing a book?

Here's a link that explains it some.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ctmx9x ... oJBKtsJ_RE
what is a transverse plane lunge that the site lists
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Lunge.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Sqaut.html

Be careful with all this "functional" training. Working on unstable surfaces and small weights can make you weaker. You still need to include the basic strength moves (Squat, Deadlift, Lunge, Push, Pull, Twist) as the core of your strength workout.

I assume you live in a warm climate. The book I linked to has agility drills in it that work the different planes. They would probably be appropriate.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks. I am going to go to borders today and check out the fitness section and see what books I can find to help me out.

and no I did not start anything yet. I am just trying to understand all the plane of movements and its exercises, so that I can make a good weightraining program.

By the way - for the deadlift, I don't think I should be doing that until my legs go even length. I want my right QL to loosen up and not get tighter.

What is another good hip dominant exercise I can do that will not be affected by one hip being higher than the other? I know theres single leg RDL, but I still have balance trouble with bodyweight...so I cannot do that with weight yet.

By the way for the one legged squats, whats the difference between a regular one legged squat with one leg in the front of you and the other one legged squat with one leg in back of you? Is the one leg in back of you considred hip dominant? I know one legged squats are quad dominant

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:36 pm

You can do one-legged deadlifts with your non-working foot resting on a bench behind you. This should improve your balance.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:33 pm

caangelxox wrote:Thanks. I am going to go to borders today and check out the fitness section and see what books I can find to help me out.

and no I did not start anything yet. I am just trying to understand all the plane of movements and its exercises, so that I can make a good weightraining program.

By the way - for the deadlift, I don't think I should be doing that until my legs go even length. I want my right QL to loosen up and not get tighter.

The key is in how the angle of the back changes. If it's relatively constant > Quad dominant, if it changes significantly > ham dominant.

What is another good hip dominant exercise I can do that will not be affected by one hip being higher than the other? I know theres single leg RDL, but I still have balance trouble with bodyweight...so I cannot do that with weight yet.

By the way for the one legged squats, whats the difference between a regular one legged squat with one leg in the front of you and the other one legged squat with one leg in back of you? Is the one leg in back of you considred hip dominant? I know one legged squats are quad dominant
If you are trying to determine in an exercise is quad dominant of hamstring dominant, consider the movement at the knee or the hip.

In this exercise the hip and knee go through the same change in angle. Since the knee is weaker than the hip, it's limited by the knee so it's quad dominant.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html

In the deadlift, the hip moves more than the knee so it's ham dominant.
http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyw ... ifts_2.htm

Like Matt said, do the one legged deadlift starting now. One thing I did when I was starting on these was to hold onto something. I had a dumbbell in one hand and the other on a high bench.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Oh okay thanks and what is the difference between...
Having the dumbbell in the same hand that the leg is straight?
Having the dumbbell in the hand that the leg is in the air?
Having two dumbbells in your both of your hands?
Having one dumbbell in both of your hands?

Do they work different muscles depending what hand is holding the dumbbell?

I am also going to change the bent over row to one arm one leg bent over row as well, so I would like to know the answer on muscles that these variations work and if it changes anything due to the leg straight or leg in the air.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 am

I guess no one knows...so it doesnt matter then.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:57 am

I was thinking about it but due to the time difference I didn't get a chance to answer. Early evening in CA is late night in NS.

Using 2 dumbbells is easier because you are not limited by your grip strength and the weight is more evenly distributed so it's easier to keep your balance.

Using 1 dumbbell allows you to have a free hand to provide support and the uneven loading requires torsional stability from your core.

If using 1 dumbbell, having the weight on the same side as the working leg provides more balance.

Stu

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:29 am

When you say one leg is longer than the other, are you talking about actual bone lengths?